Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times

Advertisements

Well on behalf of those that walk the walk I must say when my wife was still active in the church and we lived up in the E. Millcreek area, her friends were genuine and sweet and there was nothing phoney about them at all. The bishops I knew personally, and when invited to events like their dinners during holidays and cookouts in the summer everyone was as nice as they could possibly be and religion was never discussed. Now out in Herriman, with all of the younger families I find a much more clickish and immature kind of follower. And I must say I have no doubt this particular Bishop is an anomaly and frankly has NO business being a Bishop. He does NOT represent the faith as it should be and in my estimation has already violated several scriptural issues. I'm sure we WILL be speaking the next time he dares to call my wife as I'll have some less than favorable words to exchange with him. He may think he exerts some kind of power but over me he has NONE, and he will find out where the bear does his business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I am willing to give this one more shot. I genuinely want to get to know some more of my neighbors, and especially those with kids since I am a new mom (although I am not picky). I have been pretty lonely and have had a hard time meeting people since I have moved here - some of it is me for lack of trying really hard. I had never thought about the RS because I thought I had to be a member when I first moved here.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 PM

224 posts, read 640,247 times
easternerDC. Every ward is different. And it would be sad if you happened to end up in one that is less open to newcomers.

I just wanted to say that, as a member, moving into a new ward it seems to always take about a year before I feel like I belong. People generally seem to gravitate to people they have seen or know and new faces just aren't registered. And so to be new can be difficult even for members.

I wouldn't doubt buckeyez experience in the beginning was facilitated by the neighbors she attended with who already knew her. It would be nice if your neighbor had introduced you to some of the other ladies as well.

Good of you to give it another shot. All it takes is one person to make the difference.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
easternerDC- I don't know if you are aware, but Salt Lake has a Mommies group. You might be able to find someone that lives near you to attend events or playdates with.

SaltLakeCityMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
easternerDC- I don't know if you are aware, but Salt Lake has a Mommies group. You might be able to find someone that lives near you to attend events or playdates with.

Thanks! I have not heard of this group. I will check it out. I wonder if there are any Logan moms who post there? Its hard for me since I work full-time, and most week nights I spend as much time (read all) with my baby since she is just 11 months old.

We will likely be moving to Ogden area or Layton next Spring/Summer so maybe that will change things for us.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
I wouldn't doubt buckeyez experience in the beginning was facilitated by the neighbors she attended with who already knew her. It would be nice if your neighbor had introduced you to some of the other ladies as well.
Very true. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post

Thx, Kayti. I wasn't sure on the rules on posting links. =) This is one of the 2 groups I'm on. I made all of my friends except in my hood, so far, through this site. =) Time will tell on the other site, as I'm new to it. =) I'm buckeyezrule on there as well. =) I know all of the regulars on there. =) If you join, feel free to PM me. I'm hosting an after school playdate at my home next week. It's on the calendar.

I'm going to invite some of my neighbors who are LDS (not that I'm excluding those who aren't, it's just those I know in our hood are either LDS or work fulltime, but me. lol) so, perhaps, they can shed some candid light on what you are going through???? Either way, we'd love to have & meet you & your kiddos. =)

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Thanks! I have not heard of this group. I will check it out. I wonder if there are any Logan moms who post there? Its hard for me since I work full-time, and most week nights I spend as much time (read all) with my baby since she is just 11 months old.

We will likely be moving to Ogden area or Layton next Spring/Summer so maybe that will change things for us.
A PS, that Mom's group does have a Davis Cty forum. =) I know & have met most of the wonderful ladies up there as well. =)

I love visiting & shopping the thrift shops in Logan. & hiking. =)

Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I am willing to give this one more shot. I genuinely want to get to know some more of my neighbors, and especially those with kids since I am a new mom (although I am not picky). I have been pretty lonely and have had a hard time meeting people since I have moved here - some of it is me for lack of trying really hard. I had never thought about the RS because I thought I had to be a member when I first moved here.
I feel so bad about your experience. Really. I just want you to know that it might not have anything to do with your not being LDS. About 30 years ago, my husband and I bought a home in an area we'd always wanted to live in. About two months after we moved in, he volunteered to help set up tables and chairs for a ward Christmas party. He was gone for about an hour. When he got back home, he told me that not one single solitary person who was over there doing the same thing as he was even spoke to him. We hated that place, and ended up selling the house we'd bought (at a loss) within six months, just to be able to get out.

There was a time when the ward we have been in for the last thirty years was kind of clique-ish. The bishop even spoke in Sacrament Meeting about how he'd been made aware that quite a number of the newer members felt excluded. He really came down on those who were being unfriendly. Today, my ward is very, very different. New people move in and immediately feel accepted. Anyway, I just want you to know that even for LDS people, it's hard sometimes to fit in.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM

^^ Thanks again, to all. I really do appreciate the feedback.

I really do hope ( and suspect) that it has nothing to do with me not being LDS. I hope they will let me know about the next event so I can try one more and see if it is any different.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,132 times
Relief Society is fun and I think you will enjoy it depending on your ward. Some wards are very accepting of those who are not members and as long as you do not critisize them I think you will find it a good way to get to know your neighbors. They are often critisized for their beliefs and so I understand why they do not warm easily but many of my best friends and neighbors are very active LDS women and they are really fun when you get to know them. Heck Give it a try

Last edited by Maidado; 10-12-2011 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Forgot something..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah