Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I do agree that January in Utah is DREARY!! Like not seeing the sky (I didn't know such a thing was possible), old slushy dirty snow, and hard dry air. But generally it is so beautiful...today was a cold day, but the sky was blue and it was gorgeous.
As is the case in most of the northern half of the country! Actually, Nov. - March. All of the Northeast & New England is pretty dismal in the winter. Sometimes it is sunny, but more often not, and where I live we often get rain, rather than snow - nothing worse than 34 degree rain, or sleet & "wintry mix". And in the Northwest it drizzles all winter long, I believe? I am hoping it's more snow in the winter in SLC?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Let me add my two cents worth, as well:

THREE FOR THREE - let me explain

I was interviewed 3 times in my life by business establishments that turned out to be Mormon....at 24, at 27 and at 37. Each and every time, I was asked about my marital status. I am single. I am completely "normal," conventional and decent looking, but I am fairly picky, so I'm single. Also, I went to a Catholic (ouch) university. Though eminently qualified and with near-perfect grades and good work experience, every time, I was TURNED DOWN. I have never converted an interview with Mormons into a real job. Will I ever want to work for one or live in an area they dominate? HELL NO !!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

I was interviewed 3 times in my life by business establishments that turned out to be Mormon....at 24, at 27 and at 37. Each and every time, I was asked about my marital status. I am single. I am completely "normal," conventional and decent looking, but I am fairly picky, so I'm single. Also, I went to a Catholic (ouch) university. Though eminently qualified and with near-perfect grades and good work experience, every time, I was TURNED DOWN. I have never converted an interview with Mormons into a real job. Will I ever want to work for one or live in an area they dominate? HELL NO !!!
I don't think it's legal to ask personal questions, such as marital status in a job interview. I would question why they were asking, and explain that I didn't understand the relevance of the question. I suppose it might depend partially on what type of job you are after, as to whether you are likely to be discriminated against.

I am curious how it will be job hunting as a single, middle-aged, childless female, in the mental health field. People who work in this field tend to be liberal... Maybe it will help that I look "WASPy" enough that I won't stand out!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I don't think it's legal to ask personal questions, such as marital status in a job interview. I would question why they were asking, and explain that I didn't understand the relevance of the question. I suppose it might depend partially on what type of job you are after, as to whether you are likely to be discriminated against.

I am curious how it will be job hunting as a single, middle-aged, childless female, in the mental health field. People who work in this field tend to be liberal... Maybe it will help that I look "WASPy" enough that I won't stand out!
It's not legal. You are right. But what could you possibly do about it? Either way, you wouldn't get the job...if you challenged them or let it go. It was in the financial services professions. Conservative, for the most part. They were asking because I feel they superimpose their values on other people - they should realize that most of us aren't on a "graduate at 22, go on a mission for 2 years, marry at 24, crank out kids" kind of treadmill. For Catholics and Protestants, being single is acceptable, though I'm sure they encourage being married.

If you're in mental health or in one of the allied health professions, there is nothing to worry about. In the coat and tie professions where the external mucky-muck B.S. is about 40% of the job, then it becomes an issue. I don't stand out either. I'm not a WASP per se, but I'm told I look sort of like that Steve Carell guy (eh, maybe, I guess) on that TV show "The Office"...never watched it, but I know who he is. That doesn't look TOO ethnic to me.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,905 times
Quote:
It's not legal. You are right. But what could you possibly do about it? Either way, you wouldn't get the job...if you challenged them or let it go. It was in the financial services professions. Conservative, for the most part. They were asking because I feel they superimpose their values on other people . . .
Often, interviewers ask such questions just in an attempt to create "small talk"--and partially to get an idea for how the candidate interacts with others on a more casual level, without realizing that there are legal problems with asking such questions. Yes, they should know this, but when it happens, they usually do not.

You do not know why you didn't get the jobs you interviewed for, and you never will know. You're not going to get every job you interview for. On average, people interview for far more jobs that they do not get.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:

It is amazing that you would find yourself applying for a Mormon company three times in your life. This seems to be an extreme exception to the law of probability. Well, perhaps you lived in Utah, which would bring your experience into the norm, but if I recall correctly from one of your other posts, you wrote you would not live in Utah.

Next, I have a graduate degree from a Jesuit institution, and I find employers hold degrees from Jesuit schools in high regard, due to the Jesuit reputation for demanding and academically rigorous curriculums.

I’m sorry to hear you were turned down. Perhaps you were not what these companies were looking for. I think we have all been turned downed at one time or another.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
It is amazing that you would find yourself applying for a Mormon company three times in your life. This seems to be an extreme exception to the law of probability. Well, perhaps you lived in Utah, which would bring your experience into the norm, but if I recall correctly from one of your other posts, you wrote you would not live in Utah.

Next, I have a graduate degree from a Jesuit institution, and I find employers hold degrees from Jesuit schools in high regard, due to the Jesuit reputation for demanding and academically rigorous curriculums.

I’m sorry to hear you were turned down. Perhaps you were not what these companies were looking for. I think we have all been turned downed at one time or another.
Ditto on the Jesuit university. Just fantastic. Liberal and accepting, we had Jews, Muslims and Mormons on the faculty where it was treated as an non-issue.

Of these companies, the second in the chronology was Marriott...in their headquarters. Very uptight, in my estimation. I couldn't believe the "are you married" question came up....wow, just wow. The first and third were just professional services firms that no one would have known whether they were Mormon or not. It was in California on both occassions. I found out once inside, either by their proud proclamation of their religion or the combination of the BYU + UU degrees.

I never bring up my marital status. Ever. It should be respected that I choose to remain single or would prefer a dual income, no kids situation. I am not interested in being a parent. But I never talk about such things in the workplace.

You're right..."not what they were looking for" because I won't be cranking out kids and bringing them to the company picnic and not because, with almost straight-As and good work experience, I couldn't do the job.

I think 3 times was enough to change my posture from an accepting indifference and neutrality toward this religion to one of caution. Sorry. Now, I pull out the almanac and look for high percentages of Catholics/the more common Protestant sects in places I would consider living.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM

111 posts, read 626,124 times
Hi Robert-

Since you directed me to this thread from the Plastic Surgery thread...I just wanted to reply that I'm sorry you've had these experience. That really is unfortunate.

I had a similar experience years ago when I was applying for a job in Southern Calif - the company was owned by born-again Christians and the marriage AND religion question actually came up during the interview! I too was blown away by that. He point blank asked me what my religion was. And when I said Mormon, everything went down hill.

Hmmm....I guess the discrimination goes both ways, eh?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhByeCalifornia View Post
Hi Robert-

Since you directed me to this thread from the Plastic Surgery thread...I just wanted to reply that I'm sorry you've had these experience. That really is unfortunate.

I had a similar experience years ago when I was applying for a job in Southern Calif - the company was owned by born-again Christians and the marriage AND religion question actually came up during the interview! I too was blown away by that. He point blank asked me what my religion was. And when I said Mormon, everything went down hill.

Hmmm....I guess the discrimination goes both ways, eh?
It definitely does! I am sure Mormons outside of Utah can face discrimination (I know there is a thread on this). And Born again Christians, who are an extremely judgmental bunch would not think any more of me, a non-practicing Protestant than they would of a Mormon. I think any extreme group is more likely to do this, which may be why people are complaining of discrimination by Mormons.

I think for many people, this is an odd phenomena because if you live in a highly diverse area like I do, discrimination is rare because there really is no dominant group. Around here a Mormon would get hired just as soon as anyone else - people are just not that concerned with other people's ethnicity and religion.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
I must chime in and say that Utah is without question the worst place I have ever visited or lived. The bottom line is I am not beautiful enough to live here. I feel so awful everywhere I go, especially anywhere in the suburbs, and am leaving in the spring even though I just got a job today. What I experience is the subtle discrimination that goes on from Mormons who clearly hate outsiders or anyone whose look is slightly off. I have had the same experiences for three years now at almost all the stores I regularly patronize (Wild Oats, Target, etc.) And what blows me away is most of the people who diss me in public are nothing special themselves. Many are good looking but most are average and plainly dressed, toting their requisite two or three children. The point is I STICK OUT. It's obvious to people I don't have children and am alone and I am convinced that this makes me a target. I just got back from Albuquerque where I spent the holidays where I noticed many people of different ethnicities and backgrounds everywhere I went. People were in their own worlds minding their own business. No one commented on anything I wore, there were no strange looks, no strange treatment. I'm not pretty enough for Albuquerque either, never was or probably will be, but at least there I was at peace about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: