Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I've seen it spelled both ways Santa Ana and Santana...either is correct
But they are not pronounced the same way. It's pronounced "Santa Ana", not Santana, which skips a sylable.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
But they are not pronounced the same way. It's pronounced "Santa Ana", not Santana, which skips a sylable.
I have heard it pronounced both ways..it may not be correct...but I have heard it. I personally have always called them Santa Ana's, two words. Doesn't make any difference does it? How about we just call them devil winds...

Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Yes native Californians do pronunce it SantaAna as one word and so do I. However the Spanish colonial settlers - good Catholics all, named these hot dry desert zephyrs - the Saint Anne winds -in Spanish its is Santa Ana. Why they picked Saint Anne, I have no idea.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:45 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Yes native Californians do pronunce it SantaAna as one word and so do I. However the Spanish colonial settlers - good Catholics all, named these hot dry desert zephyrs - the Saint Anne winds -in Spanish its is Santa Ana. Why they picked Saint Anne, I have no idea.
Charles,
Not so sure they were names after Saint Anne. The debate goes on. For more reading infor, see here.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=589105

More info id you do a Google search.

Fun stuff.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM

38 posts, read 101,523 times
I am really disturbed by the LDS bashing on here. I am LDS but honestly have no desire to live in Utah because it is a fishbowl if you belong to the church. I find it humorous that so many people have commented on how "ridiculous" it is that there are so many Mormons and so many Mormon churches. Uh SLC was settled by Mormons because they were driven out of several states because of their beliefs. That is like being upset because there are so many Catholic churches in Italy or a huge population of Baptists in the south. Are you saying you did not know this before you moved there? Did you expect a liquor store and a Starbucks on temple square? It is the fastest growing Christian religion (not even an LDS statistic) and SLC is the world headquarters. It is not like they are going to relocate.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1996 View Post
I am really disturbed by the LDS bashing on here. I am LDS but honestly have no desire to live in Utah because it is a fishbowl if you belong to the church. I find it humorous that so many people have commented on how "ridiculous" it is that there are so many Mormons and so many Mormon churches. Uh SLC was settled by Mormons because they were driven out of several states because of their beliefs. That is like being upset because there are so many Catholic churches in Italy or a huge population of Baptists in the south. Are you saying you did not know this before you moved there? Did you expect a liquor store and a Starbucks on temple square? It is the fastest growing Christian religion (not even an LDS statistic) and SLC is the world headquarters. It is not like they are going to relocate.
Kat...I see you've just joined this conversation...yes there are many of us who moved here to utah, north and south, from other places..yes..we knew it was heavily mormon. What we didn't know is the treatment we 'heathens' would receive from our neighbors and others we deal with. No one tells you that Utah is it's own little bubble and if you are not LDS you aren't going to fit in that bubble. It has been a huge adjustment, coming from places where we were not discriminated against. I still don't get it, don't understand it, probably will never understand it, and lately, I just dont give a flying ...whatever. You insert a word. We are trying to get along with everyone and thankfully meeting others like ourselves who have also been shocked at the treatment.

No bashing going on, I am done with that...but no one tells you what its really like here in the pretty brochures and real estate articles.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 PM

24 posts, read 102,243 times
Default Fetchin

Quote:
I still don't get it, don't understand it, probably will never understand it, and lately, I just dont give a flying ...whatever. You insert a word.
When I worked with a lot of Mormons years ago, the word they used was
Quote:
Fetchin
When I asked what that was they didn't know what to say. I would tell them if they wanted to use the "F" word to just use it.

They usually turned red.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronp100343 View Post
When I worked with a lot of Mormons years ago, the word they used was

When I asked what that was they didn't know what to say. I would tell them if they wanted to use the "F" word to just use it.

They usually turned red.
Oh, I usually hear 'oh my heck'

Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM

24 posts, read 102,243 times
Default I Forgot

Quote:
Oh, I usually hear 'oh my heck'

I forgot that one.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,199 times
I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. Example, I broke my hand while pitching a softball game and continued pitching the game because I was so angry at the guy who had caused the accident. Recently I had a botched surgery that required 4 more surgeries to correct the mess. What promted the 4 extra surgeries was the massive pain from the blown valve due to the surgery in my mid section. It was so bad I was reduced to screaming to try and deal with it. I don't scream ever! After 12 hours of this unrelenting pain that none of the pain killers would even touch, I looked at the ceiling of the hospital room and said, "God Damn It!" I had a nurse come rushing into the room and not to help me. She proceeded to yell at me for my language usage, and threaten to kick me out of the hospital or worse. I never found out what the worse was. I yelled back at her. and as soon as I could I reported her actions. First I'm Mormon also. But I do not appreciate someone else trying to foist their ideas of relgion on me. I still believe in free agency, not lock stepping to follow blindly.

Dang - Because darn is to close to damn
Fluff - and other F word sub.
crud
shoot - **** is too harsh
golly - can't say God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: