Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,832 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading for a few weeks here about people moving to Utah, needing help on where to look to live. It looks as if it is a good place to ask and people are very helpful here!
My DH recently changed careers from the military to academia! We are LDS and from all the areas I have lived previously in the USA, I must say I love the mix of cultures and languages I have seen. I love Bollywood (grew up in SF, CA) my children have been learning Mandrin and the school dist here has a strings program from 5th grade on! Some play Lacrosse, some go to a Montessori school, my DH loves the outdoors (used to live @ Jenny Lake, WY)! So I am a bit worried about not fitting in a smaller area. But I would love to have some acreage to garden and let the children play. (We are a family of eight in total) I have a son with Asperger's, so I am wondering about special education in Alpine, Nebo, Provo or Orem (maybe Wasatch?) school district. I would love to live along the bench somewhere from Alpine down to woodland Hills somewhere so we can just hike outside the backyard up the mountain like the Von Trapp family! Are there problems with landslides like in Provo or Cedar Hills? How do we find a good ward? Usually, there has only been 1 ward per city or region I have lived in, I have always loved the people, but it seems to take a good year to feel like it is "my" ward. Are there problems with lead in older homes there? Are there places for community supported agriculture? Or common gardens? I see there is no Trader Joe's there, sad sad sad...for me. Do people like to ski at Sundance? I have a brood of "never been" skiers. Any help will be much appreciated. I am open to hearing all suggestions! This could be the place I live the rest of my LIFE! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 AM

101 posts, read 470,182 times
Not sure if I read it right
but most out of state LDS, when they move
here also have a cultural shock as
out of state LDS and in state LDS are vastly different.(have that on a few very good sources)
I don't think there are bad wards, I think the main difference is the amount of $$ a ward has(or brings in)

I wouldn't say the SLC region is a smaller area, its houses as far as you can see,
the towns run right into each other. You'll fit in just fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
OK, I will give this a shot, but I should qualify my remarks, so you may better evaluate my response. I lived most of my life in the SF Bay Area; however, I was not enchanted with the area and eagerly began my escape a couple of years ago. I must also state that I can’t imagine anyone loving Hollywood. I found the area to be run down. It had all the glamour and attractiveness of an aged silent screen star auditioning for a role in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Now, if you love these areas, Utah is going to be a real shocker. Utah is a distinctly different and better—in my opinion—culture than California. It is a very, with an emphasis on very, conservative culture. As an example: Republicans are on the endangered species list in California; however, the Democrats are encouraging hunters to continue to take full limits and use lead shot. Anyone who is conservative in California has no representation in the Legislature. The complete opposite is true in Utah, with the exception that the Republicans have banned hunting of Democrats.

You may or may not find the same stores or brands in Utah as you will find in California. I don’t care, but you may. I have no trouble finding edible food and suitable clothing. Trader Joe’s was nice, but they are overly expensive, and it’s hard for me to understand why a military family would want to shop there, even on general officer's pay. When I was on active duty, all shopping was done on post at the exchange, commissary, or package store.

I can state you will either hate or love Utah public schools. You will love them if you are willing to devote lots of time at home helping your children. Utah spends nearly the least amount of money on students per capita than any other state; however, its graduation rates are some of the highest in the United States. This is attributed to the belief that LDS parents emphasize education and devote significant time and effort at home helping their children with their studies. There are private Montessori schools and special education is available, but I cannot speak intelligently on their availability or quality.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean by the term “good ward.” Since you are or were a military family, you know you simply need to adapt to a changed environment. Don’t expect Utah LDS to welcome you with open arms. They are no different than LDS anywhere else. Most will see you in Sacrament Meeting and wonder who you are but will leave immediately after the meeting to get home and start dinner; especially if it’s Fast Sunday. Rest assured someone from the Bishopric will introduce themselves. I read Coug’s comment about Utah LDS being vastly different than out of state LDS. My personal experience tells me this isn’t so. They are just a different collection of people.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,832 times
Thank you SergeantL and Phazed-Coug for your responses. I can see where I have been foggy reading over my first post. SergeantL, I can see why you say what you say about the Bay Area. I would not raise my family in the Bay Area itself, However, I have so many good memories of going to Santa Cruz, Big Sur, Half Moon Bay, SF, South SF, Mt. Tam, Mt Diablo, Berkeley, the Oakland Temple, dancing with family at the Slovenian Club, riding Bart, Eucalyptus tree groves, and riding the ferries. Stuff like that!
I don't love Hollywood, I love Bollywood! I love Indian foods, the languages, the people, they have left such a good impression on me here in MI. I don't care so much Republican vs. Democrat although I lean right. I think it is devisive from what I have seen in my part of MI. Town is left with signs in yards like, "Another family for peace" "no war" stuff like that. Hello? Who LIKES war? Anyway, I don't always shop at Trader Joe's, they are an hour away for me, I just go there on my way out of town after my son's Dr. visit at UofM. The commisary is 100 miles away from me right now! I do miss it. And I miss the closeness of families on base. We are getting out because the AF is downsizing so much. 40,000 jobs in trade to raise money for new planes.
Interesting what you had to say about schools there...what about the charter schools? Also, special education? How is that? I have a little guy who gets extra help here.
You are right about having to adapt to different places. We lived in the south for 5 years. At first, it was SO different, but as I got to know the people, it all changed. I still miss the people and places there 3 years later. You make it what you make it. I just asked about wards because I have seen wards with girls that gossip about eachother, for example. Things just went downhill from there. The ward I live in now still has difficulties, but it seems as the families pull together through alot. The youth go out on their own together and buoy eachother up. Families sit with other families during sacrament to help eachother with children, for instance.
I love the comment about everyone clearing out after Fast Sunday! True true..
My only experience with Utah LDS might be something like calling the rest of the world including my state, "the mission field". I wish not to add to any animosity that it already there...I really want to be positive to every one and share whatever I have with whoever needs it...LDS, not LDS, or don't even say LDS. I just want to be where I can do the best job I can raising my family...that and some skiing!
Thanks again for taking the time to respond,

Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
I love Jenny Lake! It's beautiful up there.

I don't know much about the special ed resources in the school districts, but I do know that in general, Alpine is considered to be the best district of the three you mentioned (Orem is actually in Alpine School District). But that's just a matter of opinion.

The landslides in Cedar Hills and Provo are in very specific areas; just don't build clear up on the hill, and you'll be fine! I live in Cedar Hills and I love the quality of life here. I haven't seen much about community gardens, although a lot of people have their own gardens.

Finding a good ward comes down to two things: the luck of the draw, and your expectations. I feel like I hit the jackpot in my last two moves, and I've been very happy with my wards. But I've noticed that some people move from ward to ward and neighborhood to neighborhood and are never satisfied, and eventually I think they need to look at where the problem lies. I find it hard to believe that they just managed to hit every bad ward in the state, you know? Yes, there are some weird wards full of weird people, but most wards are a mix. Come in with a good attitude and prepare to be friendly and get involved, and you'll be fine.

Lead in homes: just like anywhere else in the nation, be cautious with homes built before 1979. They could have lead paint, so have it tested if it's flaking or you are planning to remove the paint or remodel.

Skiing: I'm not a skier, so I can't speak from experience, but most people seem to head to the other resorts in SLC and Park City more often than to Sundance. I go to Sundance for the Tree Room restaurant. I have a friend who sends all her kids to the Sundance ski school, and she likes it. It certainly is a closer resort if you're in Orem/Provo or south of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah