Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 27,317 times

Advertisements

I own a small software development company and I am considering moving it from Raleigh, NC to Salt Lake City, UT. I like the idea that skiing is close by and Salt Lake is a large city. So many ski resorts are far away from large cities and SLC seems to be a good fit.

I have 12 employees all under the age of 30 all single guys and all are very liberal. I will also need to hire as our company grows probably from outside SLC mainly from California and Seattle.

My main concerns is the Mormons. To me, there is a negative stigma with moving to a city that seems to be so heavily religious. In the south, there are primary baptists, but there are so many other large religious groups, that religion never comes up in my daily life.

I will also need to hire employees and I am worried that they will not want to move to SLC because of the religious undertone.

So some of my questions are:
1. None of my employees are religious, is this going to effect their ability to make friends and form relationships there?
2. Has anyone else moved from larger cities to SLC and been negatively effected by the LDS?
3. Am I completely putting too much emphasis on the religion of the City? Is SLC just like every other city, where there are a variety of people and it doesn't matter what religion you are?
4. Is there a nightlife in SLC?

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 05:32 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowjess View Post
I own a small software development company and I am considering moving it from Raleigh, NC to Salt Lake City, UT. I like the idea that skiing is close by and Salt Lake is a large city. So many ski resorts are far away from large cities and SLC seems to be a good fit.

I have 12 employees all under the age of 30 all single guys and all are very liberal. I will also need to hire as our company grows probably from outside SLC mainly from California and Seattle.

My main concerns is the Mormons. To me, there is a negative stigma with moving to a city that seems to be so heavily religious. In the south, there are primary baptists, but there are so many other large religious groups, that religion never comes up in my daily life.

I will also need to hire employees and I am worried that they will not want to move to SLC because of the religious undertone.

1. None of my employees are religious, is this going to effect their ability to make friends and form relationships there?
2. Has anyone else moved from larger cities to SLC and been negatively effected by the LDS?
3. Am I completely putting too much emphasis on the religion of the City? Is SLC just like every other city, where there are a variety of people and it doesn't matter what religion you are?

You are already setting yourself up for an unhappy experience. Move your company to Silicon Valley in Santa Clara California. You will have all the software resources you need and skiing is not far off.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 23,017 times
I would give SLC serious consideration. Don't worry about politics, SLC routinely elects very liberal democratic mayors (of course the rest of the state is very red). Below are some articles about small local software companies, perhaps you could contact one of them for information about the local software scene...

Salt Lake Tribune - Coast firm acquires AdvancedMD
Salt Lake Tribune - Patented software fixes video flaws
Salt Lake Tribune - Tiny tech company wins big
Utah video game industry reviving | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 PM

119 posts, read 835,152 times
Thumbs down Salt Lake City

This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I've moved around due to military. Lived in Wisconsin, Memphis and Nashville, which I loved. I'm 35years old. It is very hard to make friends here if you're not LDS. I live up in Davis County though, 23 miles north of Salt Lake. But I have a professional career and work down there.

The religion is intertwined in everything here. The only reason I am still here is my daughter is graduating from high school this year and she likes it here. Yes. It is very beautiful here and a ton of outdoor things to do, endless.

The wages are low across the board. The winters are long. There is a nightlife, but you have to pay a membership fee that expires after so long for every club you want to go to, which I guess they're now trying to change.

A lot of people do like it here, though. I just don't.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I followed your post from the Miami forum. Since you appear to be exploring other areas, and since we are in a similar field, I would explore other areas such as Orlando, Pensacola, the Dakotas, Nevada, Washington, Oregon.

Friends of ours live in SLC and love it they also happen to be Mormon :-)

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
I saw your post over on the Colorado forum. I sure wouldn't recommend Breckenridge or Vail--insane housing prices, horrible traffic if you have to go to Denver (which you will), and a real superficial money-centered BS social scene (unless that is what you are in to). I know a software company that just moved OUT of that area for all of those reasons.

Salt Lake has much better options: Trained workforce, reasonable salaries (may seem low to employees, but much less costly for the employer than Colorado), pretty good city amenities (I personally think the "liquor thing" is overblown--I've never had a problem getting a drink there), some nightlife. Probably the best "ski city" on the planet (and I'm saying this as a native Coloradan), with several of the areas near SLC accessible by city bus!

Though I'm not LDS, I do get sick of all of the obsessing over Mormons on this forum. I have worked with Mormons, employed Mormons, and have LDS friends. From a business standpoint, I will say this: I have met few Mormons who are not hard workers--they seem to have a great work ethic. If there is a downside in business, it is than many LDS people seem more motivated to work hard--that can be uncomfortable to some "gentile" co-workers who have other priorities ahead of work. On a personal level, while I disagree with a number of the tenets and beliefs of the LDS faith, I have found most LDS church members that I know to be kind-hearted, honest, gracious, well-mannered people. What more can one ask?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
wow, thank you for those encouraging words. I was really starting to get worried as we may make a move out there in a few months, depends on a job. Also, I thought I had read a few years that Utah was getting into the technology scene big time. Did that not happen? Right now, I am not working but when I return to work, it would be in the IT field, since that is probably more lucrative for me...

To the OP, I wonder why you are not moving out of california considering you'd be hiring Californians, too expensive? How would you hire them in Utah, through telecommuting?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 119,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowjess View Post

Sounds like the kind of place I need to be working, the liberal workplace is severely lacking out here. If you do decide to come this way let me know where to send a resume.

I'm a maried guy under 30 but the night life here has plenty to offer once you figure out where to look. There are plenty of clubs that are door to door every night. Pro MMA fights at one club every weekend and pretty much every club band on tour makes a SLC stop.

I'm not Mormon it really doesn't effect me. I have both LDS and non LDS friends and for the most part it doesn't matter. There are a number of mormons who are super religious and have nothing in common with me I'm of course not friends with these people but we live and let live.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
My main concerns is the Mormons.

I am not a Mormon, but in my opinion, as a group of people, Mormons are the most trusting and educated people in the world and not to mention compassionate. As a Faith and religion, I am also impressed how they truly believe in eternal life with all their loved ones.

Mormons do get a bad rap from the mass media, and this was exemplified during the Winter Olympics. NBC, especially stigmatized the Mormon faith to almost a cult like following but when it comes to Tom Cruise and John Travolta's Scientology, well the Media loves that because the Cult of Scientology is all about money!!!!

I would encourage you to follow through and make your move. You will find a very bright and hard working employee pool with excellent smarts as well.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
You like to be near snow and outdoor activities and will probably be recruiting from Southern Cal and Seattle?

Try Portland, Oregon. Or, better yet, Bend, Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah