Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2006, 08:57 AM

56 posts, read 213,231 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Utah for almost 8 years now. I first lived in Park City and now in sugarhouse, SLC. I spend all of my free time outdoors climbing and skiing depending on the season.
Over my years here I have grown increasingly dissappointed in most of the people living here. There seems to be a small part of the Utah population that cares to recycle and clean up the environment around us. It makes me sad. I find that most plead ingnorance, but when you tell them what they can do they say " oh I just don't have time".
I find most people here just care about industry,development,money and of course religion.
LOOK around you people. LOOK at where you live. This is an amazing place. Thats why I can't leave. Theres not many places you can live that host the best skiing,climbing,mountain biking and whatever else you want to do. I have to check the air quality in the morning before I can running and it is rarely ok for me to go. Sometimes you can't even see the mountains through the smog. ........and yet you don't have the time to recycle. It's really pathetic. Maybe it's because I value my environment.
I'd love to take a poll on how many people really use their hummers and giants trucks for what they are made for OFF road. I think we already know what the conclusion would be...... moms carting their kids around shopping.
If I offended anyone it's probably because I hit home on one of these issues. Think about your actions in this world. It costs like 35$ a year or something like that to recycle, and they do it for you!
READ...... An Inconvenient Truth By Al Gore and if you don't have time to read its out on video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 PM

51 posts, read 235,711 times
I am surprised with the air quality of Salt Lake- just moved here and the smog I've seen in YUCKY- Denver has better air quality than Salt Lake! I am thinking if Denver can have their's under control- so could we!

Oh, I have to say that I have never seen a Mom driving the kids to the store in a hummer...I don't think that's the problem AT ALL!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Mariewendan, I am really phyced that you replied and took interest in your new area, but take a look around next time your out and about, and count how many big SUV's with one person driving around or mom's with their kids and yes hummers. Theres so much we can do here, so much. But we live in a spoiled, sheltered world. And yes the cars we drive have alot to do with the air quality.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,171 times
I was really shocked to see that there are no recycel bins in our apatment complex. I mean every thing goes into one bin. To bad this is really a beautiful state.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 PM

51 posts, read 235,711 times
Honestly, I have yet to see a hummer- of course I am in tooele county, maybe not actually being in the big city of Salt Lake has something to do with it? I've seen lots more hummers in Denver than I've seen here and their air quality is really good! What about the industries? Could it just be that Salt Lake City is in a valley and Denver is not? I don't know- I am with you- people need to do more commuting, or riding public transportation. Are wood stoves contributing to the problem? What do you think is causing the pollution and why? I really would like to learn more about where I have relocated to! Thanks!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM

129 posts, read 515,583 times
May I suggest that part of the problem with the air (and I'm not excusing the pollution from the SUVs, etc.) is the fact that SLValley is more or less a bowl surrounded by mountains. Where that occurs you're going to get inversion, and when you get inversion you get smog (think LA/ think Reno).

As to recycling, I don't know what's going on in the apartments but where I live the garbage pickup company insists that we have at least two garbage cans, one for regular trash and one for recylcebles and they have two separate, special trucks that do the pick up for each one.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Default READ ME and thank you for your concern

Yes part of the problem is that Slc is in a bowl, for sure thats part of the problem, BUT thats even more of a reason for people to get responsible and respond accordingly to that issue. In alot of places people are unaware of air pollution because its able to escape and spread out but here we are living in it we can SEE it and yet I have yet to see a large concern. People wonder why they are having allergy reactions in the fall so bad and still in the winter, adults and children developing asthma out of nowhere. CO2 works wonders, especially to the immune system.
Its all in education and when it comes to adults its all about convenience and how lazy that person is....sorry but true.
READ, READ educate yourselves, learn about your environment. You can do so much and its just little things.......Recycle, change your hair and body products... use biodegradable(all the bad stuff your using goes into our water, yes!!!our ground)... I use natures gate and Dr.bronners lavender. Laundry detergent (biodegradable). Light-bulbs... your only saving money on those, they last forever.
Think about everything you do carefully for a week, for a day.... all the napkins you use, if you go out to restaurants, straws... why? ask yourself what do you really need? microwaves use less energy than stoves, dishwashers actually use less water and energy than washing yourself (granted its full).
I could go on...... SHOP LOCAL... NO WALMART!!!!! They only sell crap anyway, cheap crap made in China. Respect yourself and buy yourself something thats quality.
I am not a hippie believe me, I just like to know what I'm contributing to the environment and putting in and on my body. I LOVE to climb and ski,run ect... and guess what if the world continues to go in the direction it is I won't be able to do those things anymore.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
SHOP LOCAL...Respect yourself and buy yourself something thats quality.

OK! You've got me fired up now. Do you know of a Hummer dealership in the area? Now there's quality!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 PM

hahahaha I'm sure you can just look in the yellow pages for your hummer dealership thats fine. I can do what I know is right and you can drive your expensive plastic "hey I'm driving a hummer" tonka truck around. This is funny I love people like you. Why would you be upset about people trying to live in a sustainable way?
Your funny .... Let's hear more you sound smart.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
Why would you be upset about people trying to live in a sustainable way?
I'm not, but you have to admit; a Hummer is a quality product, and it's not made in China. Now, if you will excuse me, there's a sale at Walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah