Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

Okay, here is my take on Californians in Kanab or any other place they go. They are not greedy, but they tend to be arrogant in that they think that all good thought has come only from California. They escape the craziness of their home state (hasn't anyone seen the freakin' mess it has become?!?), but then want to change their new home into what they left. I worked for a California based company for several years and became completely fed up with the condescension and disregard. If we are so dumb in Utah, why does our state have a rainy day fund, a balanced budget, a well educated workforce (you don't have to spend at or above the national average to get this result), and an economy that rarely dips as deeply as the nation's and is usually better? I guess my message to anyone is: If you want to move to a place you see as a paradise, like it for what it is and don't try to turn it into the hell you left. Remember, the locals may seem parochial to you, but they are the ones who made it the nice place where you chose to locate. Learn from them.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 59,457 times
Default Kanab don't move there.

I recently moved to Kanab because my wife gained employment at best friends. First of all there are 408 properties on the market, all of which are extremely over priced or just junk. There are no jobs in Kanab or the surrounding areas. The only work is at Best friends Animal sanctuary and good luck getting a job there, unless your a female. I was told by several of the women at the sanctuary only one thing wrong with me, I said whats that , they said your a guy. So if you can afford 500-900 + amonth rent on 10-12 dollars an hour single income, then by all means come to Kanab, it is bueatiful country but no work here unless you own the business, otherwise minmum wage part time seasonal tourist work. And as far as shopping goes forget it, local stores rape you on pricing, the nearest Wal-mart is 1hr 30m roughly to hurricane or the same the other direction to Page. Fuel rediculous, clothing not, they do have a family dollar with limited inventory. We got lucky an found an RV spot to park if we had to rent we'd be gone already. It is a good place to live if you are retired and don't need to work , no crime but logistically a nightmare. If your a young person don't waist your time you will be miserable. Go live your life make some money then when your ready to retire come to Kanab. I'm not triing to be negative just realistic. Come as a tourist not as a resident looking for work.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I should think if someone moves to a very remote area for one's spouse's job, it would be prudent to consider what the other spouse will be doing for employment. Most rural areas and small towns, never mind some place truly remote, has a developed economy that you can just show up and apply for jobs. Heavens, I found that out in a city of 50,000, thought I'd at least get a waiting job, and then after the summer, the job ads in that newspaper were exactly two jobs.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Well dog lover, We came here just for that as stated, her job. We are semi retired and I don''t ,need to work, I just get bored, But for some one who has a spouse that needs to work they need to do their research. and as far as a town with 50 thousand people thats a heck of a lot more than 5000, an as such should have more things to do. I was just trying to enlighten foulks who have aspirations of coming here to work at best friends to do their homework, this tiny town life isn't for everyone. And best friends isn't just playing with puppies it hard work in all weather conditions outside. And they are non profit and the wages reflect this, so if they are looking to come here and make any kind of living they are nuts. The cost of living inKanab far out reaches the the wages for this area. I talked to a lady today at best friends she said and I quote," If you like living on peanut butter and jelly and oat meal this is the job for you". She didn't do her home work on the cost of living in Kanab now she is suffering and will probably have to leave soon. Another lady that works there told me " If I didn't have my freelance advertising I could stay here either." Several others that work there rent rooms in other folks homes because they can't afford to rent anything, Best friends has huge personell turn over just for that reason alone.It cost to much to live in Kanab, not to mention the lack of rental property thats why the owners can jack their rent prices they know they got you. And 10-12 dollars an hr doesn't go far when rent is 550-900 a month. So unless you have been here and researched this area you shouldn't comment on what you don't know. FYI,

Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Another thing for those of you interested in working at best friends for every job that comes open that means someone is leaving. That doesn't mean these are new jobs , jobs are open because people didn't do there research and came here with stars in their eyes and didn't take a couple hrs to research rentals, wages, shopping, and small tourist town living. Just trying to help you can take this information or leave it, but its truth not fiction.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
At risk of getting into a pi**ing contest here, I know plenty of people who have worked at or now work at B.F. Not everyone moves there expecting it to be the rest of their life, and yes, many people mistake their own interest in remote living, or ecstasy of working at B.F. Some people I talked to do seem bitter, perhaps because of internal politics, as in any organization (especially, I've found, in "caring" or non-profits).

I don't think anyone would or should move somewhere remote without a plan, and a get-outta-town plan or "as* money stash- money to get your as* out of town.

It sounds like the OP did do his homework, and wants to warn others to do theirs. But his anger and bitterness is confusing to me- it's not like the conditions of life and working at B.F. are a secret. People often move somewhere for a daydream and are disappointed. (I have been guilty of this before, too- Santa Fe, 1978!)
One angry woman even threw me an "intervention dinner" with several B.F. people, to say hello (she had fostered one of my adoptees) and to urge me not to move to Kanab. No fear- I know I wouldn't move there at this point in life with current work and asset situation. Would I have when younger? Don't know. I thought I did my homework for Santa Fe back then- got the Sunday Santa Fe paper delivered for some time- but that was it. I just didn't know about no jobs and other problems in the area for a young woman in 1978. But with the Internet, at least people can do searches for housing, prices, businesses in the area (such as they are) and so on.
I still think trying a dream and belly flopping are a lot better than always wondering what it would have been like. I left a great job at PBS when I was 25 to move to Santa Fe for a dream. Nothing was as I dreamed, including myself. Lesson learned. There are still people in the credits on PBS shows who told me when I left, "I wish I could..." and they'd give me their dream. Still haven't done it, and haven't learned what it is and what it isn't.
I appreciate what the OP has to offer prospective Kanab/B.F. people- just wonder why he is so angry in tone.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
enough. closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah