Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times

Advertisements

My husband and I own 2 american pit bull terriers and it took a while for us to find a place but we finally did and we have had NO problems since! All I can say as far as helping you find a place is to mabey go to google.com or ask.com and type in what you want... You should be able to find something oneday.. lol.. I am sorry you are going through this crap because its BS and I have been there and done that! But I wish you the best of luck.... OH if your dog doesnt have papers saying that it has "pit bull" in it than there is no way to tell that its a "pit" 100% so all you have to say is its a large breed dog and its a mix breed, you dont know what it is... there is 20+ dogs mistaken for "pit bulls" and people that have been around the breeds for years have trouble knowing 100% if its an american pit bull terrier or not.. so idk? just a thought....

Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 12,532 times
hunters woods in Murray allows you to have dogs. You have to pay 25 bucks a month extra but we have a minature schnauzer ( our neighbors used to have a great dane the current neighbors have a golden retriever and a mastiff). We haven't had any problems with any of the other dogs there are all kinds I see on the property.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 AM

27 posts, read 116,482 times
Regarding the difficulty in renting with your dog....it is hard to rent in a lot of places with any type of pet....I have been dealing with this for YEARS!!! As a vet tech I know that a BIG part of the problem that apartments have with renting to dog owners of certain breeds...NOT JUST PITS, is that they can not get home owners insurance due to that specific breed. It is unfortunate that there are some people out there who do not socialize and train their pets and it gives every dog owner a bad rep. I have been in the animal care field for 13 years. I have been bitten by a few dogs, including a pit. The pit attack was the worst and I have permanent damage to one of my hands. However, I have also been bitten by a chihuahua as well as other breeds. Peeople need to remember that although domestocated, they are all still animals no matter what the breed or species!!! I know it can be frustrating but also look at the property owners side as well. I wish you all the best!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
I've always found rentals fairly easily with my dogs but I only rent houses with fenced backyards, not apartments. When potential landlords ask what breed of dogs I have (Great Danes), I don't say the breed, I just tell them they're just a "little bigger" than a lab or golden retriever.

Anyhow, there are two rentals in my neighborhood that allow dogs (and I believe they both have small fenced areas). I don't know either owner's name or number....or even if they have vacancies right now. You can probably go to them and ask the tenants for the landlord's numbers. (Often dog friendly landlords have more than one building.)

Both buildings are on 800 South, and next to each other, but I'm pretty sure they have different owners. To get to them, head East on 800 South, pass Smith's (at 900 East)...the 1s apartments are on the right side immediately after McClelland St. (1050 East).

After passing the building, turn right into the parking lot, and park. On your right will be the apartments. On the left, across the alley is the house turned into an apartment building (It might have a 'for sale' sign, but they are still renting the apartments).

Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM

101 posts, read 470,424 times
Don't worry its not just your dog, it seems people
in general in Utah don't like pets in any rentals..
our cat, who by the way has more rental references than I do.
kept us out of alot of homes..

Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
People who own large or medium sized dogs should not even think about living in a rented apartment at all. I wouldn't even think about owning any dog and renting an apartment. Buy a friggin small house or move back in with your parents with that dog. (Assuming that they had the sense to buy rather than growing old and still renting !)
I have a neighbor who has two American Pit Bull Terriers and they are section 8 renters and their dog gets out and chases kids and harasses horses. One horse bit the crap out of the dog owners shoulder while retrieving the dog from the horse pasture and I'm glad ! Irresponsible dog owners without the proper place to keep and raise them properly just make me sick. I just watched another one of my neighbors let their dog out to just run over to the other neighbors yard to do his business.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM

27 posts, read 116,482 times
In reply to last person who was so ignorant about people who rent with dogs......I have rented for 13 years, have always had dogs, and my dogs are cleaner and quieter than any of my neighbors who have kids!!! My dogs are walked, and do not run the neighborhood. Not everyone can afford to buy a home and some people just do not want to purchase. My dogs do not run and scream while playing, they don't throw toys, color on walls, grafitti the side walks with chalk drawings, throw tantrums and punch holes in walls and color on walls, oh yeah and they don't get gum stuck to the carpet or flush toys down toilets. I think we should charge kid deposits!!! I used to manage condos and it was ALWAYS the people with kids whose units were filthy and ruined, I never had any problems with our dog and cat owners. There is nothing wrong with renting with pets as long as you are responsible and know how to properly exercise and care for them. There are also a lot of people out there who can only rent an apartment due to a disability which prevents them from caring for a house. They rent and have service dogs.....are the irresponsible too??? I think not!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:44 PM

404 posts, read 711,648 times
Have you tried looking for a house to rent? One with a fenced yard?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 25,401 times
Red face Wow...

That really stinks. I am sorry. I love dogs but one of mine is huge. I am glad we could find the house we did or else my family could have ended up like yours. Again, I am sorry. Hope you find something.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,430 times
Unhappy i feel your pain

hello,
I do feel your pain as I am in the same postition. My oldest son is in the ARMY and in Iraq. I have custody of his pitt bull. I am also loosing my home to forcosure. No one will rent to me either because of my sons dog. He is not visious at all, but I do know the consequences of these dogs. Bubu would 't have a chance because he is so loveable. I am careful when little kids are around just because of his breed. One never knows about these kinds of dogs. My real problem is I have an 8 year old rotweiller also. Its starting to get cold in my area, so living in my car is going to get pretty pricey, running the heat all the time. Hope your situation has improved, and please wish me some luck also. Send some prayers up for us if you have a mind to. thanks for sharing, lori49042
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: