Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,988 times

Advertisements

hi, i have a post going on another forum and id like to see the kind of reaction i get here. here is my post..

Hello, I am a single 28 yr old male with a boxer/pitbull mix dog. This dog would not hurt a fly, is very well trained and very sweet. I cant find a appartment that will rent to me because of my dog. Can anyone point me to a appartment in Salt Lake City/sandy or anywhere between that will allow me and my dog to rent a appartment? I dont want to live in a run down/bad area. I have contacted 12 appartment places, checked peoplewithpets.com, none will allow me in. Please can anyone help me?

---> Moderator Comment: Link removed -- off subject of location/relocation. <---

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post, however all the places mentioned will not accept me. I have now searched 24 appartment complexes now and I am not allowed in any of them.

Last edited by coolcats; 01-19-2007 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Removed Link

Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 PM

47 posts, read 231,651 times
Well, I can understand your frustration. I am not an advocate of Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes (no matter what you or anyone else says, the stats prove that they are the most dangerous dogs in the country) but that does not mean that you should be discriminated against. I would get records showing the training, testimonials from friends/trainers/vets who know the dog...anything to support your claims...and demonstrate your control as well as explain how the dog will be restrained when you are not there. Good luck.
By the way, I'm sure there are a lot of folks driving the most dangerous car in the country too (whatever it might be)....for what it's worth.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
That's really too bad. Although the numbers show Pits to be the most dangerous breed, the numbers do not reflect how the dogs were raised by their owners. A dog, regardless of breed, is usually the end result of its training; unfortunately, it has become the macho thing to raise Pits for fighting. I don’t go a week without seeing some poor Pit living in filthy conditions with the head of a sledge hammer hanging from its neck.

Tragically, the same kind of person who raises Pits for fighting or aggressiveness is a real underachiever in the personality trait normally associated with responsibility, so the dogs escape their inadequate enclosures and harm innocents when they panic.

I had a Pit as a kid. I wanted one, because I loved the Pit cross on the Our Gang series. Butch was a real sissy, but he was raised with lots of affection.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 17,163 times
I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are having. I have a blue pit and he is the sweetest dog ever. He would never hurt anyone or anything. I had a friend that had a pit and lived in an apartment. The apartments are called Remington. They are on state st and 7400 s. Give them a try if you havent already. Good Luck.
Brandi

Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 15,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2006 View Post
Well, I can understand your frustration. I am not an advocate of Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes (no matter what you or anyone else says, the stats prove that they are the most dangerous dogs in the country) but that does not mean that you should be discriminated against. I would get records showing the training, testimonials from friends/trainers/vets who know the dog...anything to support your claims...and demonstrate your control as well as explain how the dog will be restrained when you are not there. Good luck.
By the way, I'm sure there are a lot of folks driving the most dangerous car in the country too (whatever it might be)....for what it's worth.
Since you aren't an advocate, you probably don't know the MANY flaws of the stats you so freely use. A little reasearch tells all. They temperment test about the same as a golden retriever.

As for apartments, it's really hard to find them because of various BSL. That's one reason I'm building my home ( = poor ;-))

Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/fact_book/14_Dog_Bite_Injuries.htm (broken link)

You're painting with a rather broad brush sheduma...the stats are not mine to be flawed. See above link for example...and there are many more. I do not question that the owners are probably more responsible than the dogs. How they temprament test against other breeds does not mean a thing where the perception of the general public is concerned. A little research can be dangerous...perhaps a lot of research is in order.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 15,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2006 View Post
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/fact_book/14_Dog_Bite_Injuries.htm (broken link)

You're painting with a rather broad brush sheduma...the stats are not mine to be flawed. See above link for example...and there are many more. I do not question that the owners are probably more responsible than the dogs. How they temprament test against other breeds does not mean a thing where the perception of the general public is concerned. A little research can be dangerous...perhaps a lot of research is in order.
Bites categorized at pit bull bites are actually from a varierty of different breeds, scewing the numbers. This means bites from labs and german shepherds are compared to bites from several different pit bull TYPE dogs. Some are media-based reports from entirely NON pit bull breeds.

Who cares about public opinion? That doesn't make the breed dangerous.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 AM

Well, for one thing, these studies discuss bites, yes, and the pit bulls do rank behind other breeds in this category. Where they rank ahead is in FATALITIES, a far more important category. This is, however, beside MY point. I'm trying to provide some help for powellportk in finding a place to live. Since "public opinion" is a pretty solid basis for discrimination and predujice, you'd better care about it if hunting for an apartment with a pit bull in tow. While I said I am not an advocate, I have nothing against them either. If the owner is properly responsible, the dog will do fine. What I will stand by is my opinion that the combination of an irresponsible owner and a pit bull is less desireous that the combination of an irresponsible owner and a golden retriever...especially around my dogs.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Going back to the original poster's question of needing to find a place to live. Chances are it's not the breed that's the issue, more the size of the dog. I work with aniamls on a daily basis and being not far north of the SLC area our trend is much like yours in SLC, not many places will rent to those with pets.

My suggestion is to contact the local humane society and/or vet clinics to see if there's a realtor in the area whose a critter lover that might have leads on housing that does accept pets.

I did this for a client at work who had moved here from AZ, got them in contact with one of our other clients who is a realtor that had properties that accept pets.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM

An excellent idea by cleosmom....bet cleo is a cutie. I, too, work with animals on a daily basis. Dogs (and cats) running all over Park City and owning a dog does not seem to be a detriment where finding housing is concerned up here. Of course, finding housing period is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: