Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,395,435 times

Advertisements

Its also hard to find a GOOD doctor. I had an appointment today and was SHOCKED when one of the items I was asked on my patient profile was what my religion is. Left that one BLANK!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM

515 posts, read 2,327,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Its also hard to find a GOOD doctor. I had an appointment today and was SHOCKED when one of the items I was asked on my patient profile was what my religion is. Left that one BLANK!
I would leave it blank too - none of their d@mn business! I filled out my first ever rental application that asked if I drink or not! lol There was a box to check yes or no, so I just wrote in "occasionally". Then in the lease itself there is a "no drunkenness allowed" clause. My landlords seem like a really sweet young couple, but I think a lot of the LDS folks just aren't exposed to appropriate social drinking. I have a pet peeve about the attitude that any drinking at all = passed out drunk on the floor or trashing your home!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

515 posts, read 2,327,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Oh my u don't like kids.....u might have an issue..lol..Im kidding Welcome..where r u coming from??? And for the alcohol, get used to half of what alcohol should be..a beer here is 3%....Im not familiar with Millcreek so I can't help ya with that neighborhood...anything else, just ask anyone here Ive only been here a month so I can help with what I have experienced so far.
Actually the beer is only slightly less alcohol because in UT they measure it by weight instead of volume, which makes it sound like less than it really is. I did some research on this, and in general it is only like 1% less alcohol, which I really don't care about.

I'm coming from northern NJ, right in the heart of the NYC metro area. I really can't stand this area, it has become extremely overcrowded, terrible traffic, way too expensive, and too much rudeness. I feel confident that I'll have a much easier time stomaching Utah's imperfections. I live to ski, so that alone is a HUGE perk. I've been dealing with icy conditions and too much rain and fog skiing in VT for way too many years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
From what I know, the closer you are to SLC, you'll have an easier time with more liberal acceptance. I don't live near the Sugarhouse area, but I've heard postivite things about it.
As for the kids.....lol.....there are lots of them here!
If you ever decide to visit my neighborhood, drive very slowly......they all play in the street, and don't know that they're suppose to move out of the way for a car. My favorites are the babies, wearing only a diaper and pacificer sitting on a riding toy in the middle of the road, and no adult in sight......(sigh)
Well, nevertheless....welcome to Utah, and hopefully we can help you out.
thanks! Yes, I made sure I would be living in SLC, as close to Sugarhouse as possible, so I think there will be more like minded people around. E. Millcreek is just below Rt. 80 & I'll be less than a mile from there. I'm also pretty far east on (E 2000). It's a nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
MinnesotanAbroad-

Thanks for joining us! I have lived here for 14 years. It was by choice that we moved here, and really, I do love it. There are some things that bug me, but there is no place that one can choose to live that is utopia. I guess we just have to decide which place has the least amount of buggy things and deal with it. For me, we left Jersey to move here. I HATE HATE HATE the humidity. I do, however, LOVE summer! Summers here are worth it all. Taxes were crazy and people were crazier. I had to give up my ocean, the uniqueness and pretty good schools. I did gain a beautiful state with no humidity, more family friendly atmosphere, 2 terrific daughters, 2 brothers in law, 1 sister in law, 2 nieces, 1 nephew, and a little niece on the way that I wouldn't have known had I never moved here.
Even if you didn't move here by choice or you don't like it here at all, my belief is that everything happens for a reason. For better or for worse, Utah has come into your life for a reason and will always be a part of your history.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
I agree 100%, katyidid! It is so humid today it's like walking in a swamp to be outside! I can't wait for the dry climate - it is one of the big appeals for me. Utah is like a different planet than NJ, and I'm very ready to leave here.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,743,492 times
Quote:
To give a different perspective, perhaps the question is asked out of respect. Various religions have different cultural standards of modesty, appropriate contact between genders etc.

Information on Cultural differences of patients

I know I have been asked the same question outside of Utah, because I remember filling it in and wondering how many "LDS" those clinics saw. I did a quick google search. Vanderbilt Childrens' Hospital in Tennessee asks the same question on their form.

http://www.vanderbiltchildrens.com/u...ation_form.pdf

In general I think this thread is well-intentioned. But I detect a tinge of "us vs. them" and defensiveness where perhaps it is not warranted.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,504,051 times
Quote:
That happens in the bible belt too. I got asked in a job interview if I had "found a church yet" and I said yeah I have the same one I had in Utah. I got the job so I guess my answer was ok lol

Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,504,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Actually the beer is only slightly less alcohol because in UT they measure it by weight instead of volume, which makes it sound like less than it really is. I did some research on this, and in general it is only like 1% less alcohol, which I really don't care about.

I'm coming from northern NJ, right in the heart of the NYC metro area. I really can't stand this area, it has become extremely overcrowded, terrible traffic, way too expensive, and too much rudeness. I feel confident that I'll have a much easier time stomaching Utah's imperfections. I live to ski, so that alone is a HUGE perk. I've been dealing with icy conditions and too much rain and fog skiing in VT for way too many years!

thanks! Yes, I made sure I would be living in SLC, as close to Sugarhouse as possible, so I think there will be more like minded people around. E. Millcreek is just below Rt. 80 & I'll be less than a mile from there. I'm also pretty far east on (E 2000). It's a nice area.

I agree 100%, katyidid! It is so humid today it's like walking in a swamp to be outside! I can't wait for the dry climate - it is one of the big appeals for me. Utah is like a different planet than NJ, and I'm very ready to leave here.
yes enjoy the nice summers in Utah. Hot but dry. I moved from there to Oklahoma and this humidity is killing me. I rode my bike to work today and I craved the Utah weather

Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM

39 posts, read 94,701 times
I must say I'm quite nervous about moving to Utah. I don't like organized religion particularly and especially prosletizing. I'm also not too keen on snow and wasn't much good at skiing when I lived in Canada for a year when I was younger. I've never had proper lessons so I will give it a go but I'm not sure if I 'get' skiing if you know what I mean.

Also, I had expected to like Sugarhouse but didn't. We live semi rural here in Australia and it just felt too urban for me. We are looking at Cottonwood Heights and the East Bench of Sandy particularly. There's a house we really like on Dimple Dell Road but are we going to have the hoards of kids problem around that area? I have 2 girls, 8 and 10, and we think we're going to send them to Grace Lutheran School because of the Mormon influence in public schools and I don't want them growing up thinking they have to get married at 19 and have lots of babies.

I am very outgoing and have already done one huge move when we moved from UK to Australia so I'm not nervous about that - it's just all the peculiarities and the snow really....

Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasy View Post
I must say I'm quite nervous about moving to Utah. I don't like organized religion particularly and especially prosletizing. I'm also not too keen on snow and wasn't much good at skiing when I lived in Canada for a year when I was younger. I've never had proper lessons so I will give it a go but I'm not sure if I 'get' skiing if you know what I mean.

Also, I had expected to like Sugarhouse but didn't. We live semi rural here in Australia and it just felt too urban for me. We are looking at Cottonwood Heights and the East Bench of Sandy particularly. There's a house we really like on Dimple Dell Road but are we going to have the hoards of kids problem around that area? I have 2 girls, 8 and 10, and we think we're going to send them to Grace Lutheran School because of the Mormon influence in public schools and I don't want them growing up thinking they have to get married at 19 and have lots of babies.

I am very outgoing and have already done one huge move when we moved from UK to Australia so I'm not nervous about that - it's just all the peculiarities and the snow really....
Tooele County is semi rural....I would love to have you as a neighbor. I would probably fry your brain with all my questions about the UK and Australia. I love learning about places I had always wanted to visit.
There is no rule that says you have to learn to ski here. I don't ski. Never have, probably never will. It just isn't my thing. Actually, snow isn't my thing. AT.ALL. I deal with it though and the summers more than make up for it.
My girls are 8 and almost 12 and they go to a public school. I don't think the thought of getting married and having babies at 19 has ever crossed their mind. I have always taught them that their education comes first and foremost. Really, there isn't that much mormon influence in the public schools....not that they have come across yet anyway. My one sister and two brothers went to high school here and none of them were mormon influenced in school whatsoever.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

That's nice to hear. Maybe we shouldn't discount the public schools - some of them are supposed to be pretty good in the areas we're looking to live. I have been told by other people though that the LDS influence is quite strong so do we try and find out for ourselves or just go private right away - so difficult to know what to do.

What about the overcrowding and underfunding that I've read about? What do you all think of that?

Nice to hear that someone else isn't into skiing. My kids are dead keen to do it though so I will try...

I'm just off to look where Tooele County is.....

Last edited by weasy; 07-30-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM

How long would the drive be from Tooele to the airport? What is it you like about that area? You seem to get a lot of house for your money there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah