Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times

Advertisements

I could go on and on about the benefits of Tooele County. From the airport? Ah, piece of cake. Especially if you live near me in Stansbury Park. It is about 15 minutes closer than Tooele City itself. Takes 20 minutes or so to the airport. Straight shot down
I-80.

Tooele is not as crowded as the city. It has more of a laid back country attitude. Suburb meets country. At least Stansbury is like that. Tooele is very small townish. See someone you know almost every day. Shopping is kind of lacking, but Salt Lake isn't that far away. We have a Super Walmart and there is going to be a Sears going in sometime soon. It is very safe. Kids bike and walk all over the place. It isn't crime free, by any means. No place is, but generally speaking, it is a very safe place. We have a charter school that will be opening up next fall if public school isn't your thing. There is also a catholic school that goes from K-6. Stansbury has a brand new high school that will be opening next fall as well. Stansbury is a community, not a town. We have an outdoor pool, golf course, clubhouse. They have a soccer and baseball team.
See for yourself
http://www.stansburyassoc.org/index.html (broken link)

Housing is cheaper here than in the city! Even before we moved here from NJ, I knew I wanted to live in Stansbury. Got the Salt Lake paper and read about it. It is my dream town...literally. Hokey, I know, but it is true.

Schools are a bit overcrowded. Not really much I can say on that front. There isn't any denying it. BUT, even though the funding is not as high as other states, they still hold the highest graduation rate in the country. Must be doing something right with the money they DO get.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 PM

39 posts, read 94,568 times
It does sound like it could be worth a look for us. Hubby will be working near the airport so it could be an easier commute than from the East Bench areas we've looked at. It all sounds very nice there, I live in an area now where I always bump into someone I know when I'm out and about and I love it.

Thanks for your input, maybe I'll drop in for a coffee with you when I have a look

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM

I hope you do! I really think you would like it. Drop me a PM when you will be in town and I will meet you at the local joint!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post

In general I think this thread is well-intentioned. But I detect a tinge of "us vs. them" and defensiveness where perhaps it is not warranted.
I don't think that's the intent, but I can see where it might seem like it. It's just really scary to outsiders to move to a place which is so vastly different culturally from what they are used to.

There is sort of an unavoidable us vs. them because either you are LDS or you aren't, and that seems to create some differences in your perceptions about things. My future landlord is LDS - has to be one of the nicest people I ever met. I think he wants to have a friendly relationship, and I'm hoping this issue doesn't wind up getting in the way of that. He knows I'm not LDS, coming from NJ, but he seems really squeamish about alcohol.

Someone who relocated to the area from the Midwest 20 years ago, who lives in Park City recently told me that after all this time he is still trying to adjust the the "dominant culture", and this is a social worker, who are generally pretty open minded. It wasn't said as a criticism, but I think was said to warn me to be prepared. And this got me a little nervous. I'd feel the same way if I was moving into a bible belt area. Religion is not a part of my life, nor do I have any desire for it to be. I hope that doesn't make it more difficult for me, because I really want to love it there!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Its also hard to find a GOOD doctor. I had an appointment today and was SHOCKED when one of the items I was asked on my patient profile was what my religion is. Left that one BLANK!
yeah...that one really got me too, but then I realized that there are some religions where what a doctor can and can't do is a serious reality. I know that one in particular is against blood transfusions, and I bet that was put on the form for their benefit.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I hope you do! I really think you would like it. Drop me a PM when you will be in town and I will meet you at the local joint!
LOL...can I come too?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM

More the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
LOL...can I come too?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
LOL...can I come too?
Let me know when. I am all for a party!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM

So well put. I feel awful taking about the LDS culture on a forum where LDS also post BUT it is so different to anywhere I have lived before and that makes me nervous. I too would feel the same about the bible belt so it's not an anti LDS sentiment, more of a culture shock thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I don't think that's the intent, but I can see where it might seem like it. It's just really scary to outsiders to move to a place which is so vastly different culturally from what they are used to.

There is sort of an unavoidable us vs. them because either you are LDS or you aren't, and that seems to create some differences in your perceptions about things. My future landlord is LDS - has to be one of the nicest people I ever met. I think he wants to have a friendly relationship, and I'm hoping this issue doesn't wind up getting in the way of that. He knows I'm not LDS, coming from NJ, but he seems really squeamish about alcohol.

Someone who relocated to the area from the Midwest 20 years ago, who lives in Park City recently told me that after all this time he is still trying to adjust the the "dominant culture", and this is a social worker, who are generally pretty open minded. It wasn't said as a criticism, but I think was said to warn me to be prepared. And this got me a little nervous. I'd feel the same way if I was moving into a bible belt area. Religion is not a part of my life, nor do I have any desire for it to be. I hope that doesn't make it more difficult for me, because I really want to love it there!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM

It did take me a while to adjust to the culture shock. It is there...I don't care how open minded you are. It isn't an insurmountable thing, but something to be aware of. LDS isn't a religion here. It is a way of life. Just know that when you move here, be friendly and you will be just fine.

I still wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah