Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 25,802 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot of GREAT things about Utah, and I'm looking to relocate my family to the Cedar City/Beaver area from Michigan...

Is it a good place to raise a family? Will we be accepted if we are not Mormon? How is the crime in that area? How common is the hobo spider in that area?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM

83 posts, read 218,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayandee View Post
I've heard a lot of GREAT things about Utah, and I'm looking to relocate my family to the Cedar City/Beaver area from Michigan...

Is it a good place to raise a family? Will we be accepted if we are not Mormon? How is the crime in that area? How common is the hobo spider in that area?

Thanks in advance!!!
Mormons love people not hate. remember you are the person moving to their area. Respect the fact people are family based and many don't drink or smoke. I think that is a positive myself. Sure the Missionary's will get to you some time. you may like it you may not. Just say no thank you . They are looking out for you. even if you don't believe. As for all the mormon haters who post here just to bash. Well would you want to live next to them? Sorry got off on a tangent there. I live in ca, I wonder how people don't post will the Mexicans like me ?
Utah is a great place to live. I dont know about the rest. sorry

Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info Seabee! For the record though I meant no disrespect to anyone, I just simply wanted to make sure that we would be excepted in the community, if we were not Mormon. I have the up most respect of the Mormon faith.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,842 times
It really depends on what you plan on doing. Cedar is, in my opinion, a slowly dying town economically. Recently it seems everytime we go to "town" there's more and more businesses shutting their doors or moving. It's pretty well known that the city fathers have fought to keep the town the way it's been in the past. And with no real economic base to fall back on in hard times that plan of inaction is coming home to roost big time. Some people might say that Southern Utah University is a big enough income of cash to keep the city afloat. But anyone who's lived in a college town knows students don't have much to spend. At least not on big ticket items. The town doe's host the Shakepere and other festivals. But tourists don't buy anything they can't pack in their suitcases.
All this to say that other places in Utah would be worth looking at.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

What areas would you recommend Aerorick?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

83 posts, read 218,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayandee View Post
Thanks for the info Seabee! For the record though I meant no disrespect to anyone, I just simply wanted to make sure that we would be excepted in the community, if we were not Mormon. I have the up most respect of the Mormon faith.
You were fine. No worries. Have some frysauce when you get there. Its kind of good.
I read what I wrote , It was over the top for your question. It must have been spill over from another persons statement. Sorry for that.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM

No problem Seabee...

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 PM

31 posts, read 104,133 times
Jayandee...we are looking to move to Cedar too...we fell in love with it when we went six weeks ago and just got back from a second trip and love it even more. We really like the area up on the hill by the Walmart and heard great things about Fiddlers Canyon.
Aerorick...you are right, I did notice a lot of stores closing down and was sad to see the main street theater close too. I'm okay with the city fathers wanting to keep things small but what is running these businesses out?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 14,698 times
Cedar city has a long winter season. Lots of people are turned off by the amount of snow. I think that is what keeps the town small. The people here are friendly, the atmosphere is slow-paced. What you love about Cedar City now is what will drive you crazy later on. Franchised businesses are opening here and are always busy. There are lots of tourists here in the summer and they like the familiar, so those are the places they frequent. We have been blessed with a lot of snow since we moved here three years ago. We immediately bought a snow blower. The roads are "plowed" down the center only and "sometimes" they put snowmelt on the sidewalks. Make sure you get good snowtires on your vehicle. Keep an open mind and keep repeating "I moved here to get away from traffic, crime and stress and you will do really well here.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutah View Post
Cedar city has a long winter season. Lots of people are turned off by the amount of snow. I think that is what keeps the town small. The people here are friendly, the atmosphere is slow-paced. What you love about Cedar City now is what will drive you crazy later on. Franchised businesses are opening here and are always busy. There are lots of tourists here in the summer and they like the familiar, so those are the places they frequent. We have been blessed with a lot of snow since we moved here three years ago. We immediately bought a snow blower. The roads are "plowed" down the center only and "sometimes" they put snowmelt on the sidewalks. Make sure you get good snowtires on your vehicle. Keep an open mind and keep repeating "I moved here to get away from traffic, crime and stress and you will do really well here.
I will agree with this post the most. Except for being blessed with snow. But coming from Michigan should not shock you.

I never lived in Cedar City. I have been staying there for more then 8 years now about one long long weekend a month. We are RVers and fell in love with Cedar City about 7 years ago. It is just a 3 hour ride for us and we love the dining choices and all the things to do. What some one said about downtown stores closing is kinda true. But the oldest ones have survived forever. Yes the franchise stores and eaterys have bombarded the town. I have watched Cedar grow a lot over the years.

Just 5 years ago we were looking to buy a small house to rent to students for about $69,000. Today it is $250,000 for that same 2 bedroom home. I never had a problem with unfriendly people...well once but that was in Enterprise.

You mentioned Beaver. There is nothing there. It is too far to commute to any work. As for recreation? It is endless. Beaver, boyhood born and bread hometown to Billy the Kid the famous outlaw is the local talk there. His home still stands but is a private residence. There is a museum for him though. Go up that mountain to Fishlake Forest. There is more lakes then you can shake a stick at. Fishing and camping forever........

The economy sucks all over. I seem to get the feel Cedar is no worse or better. Wages are low like everywhere else.

Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah