Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,232,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
VC Dreamer - Yeah you are back. How ya been? Yes we are trying to revive the chat thing. I think it's because we are all getting tired of all the topics on the other Utah forums....same ole stuff...over and over and over and over again...Geesh! so depressing.
I am glad you are finally likeing the area and getting used to all us weird Utahns..ha ha
Yes we bought a house. Closed on it Jan 30th and will be moving there June 0f 2010. We are pretty happy about it. I can't wait to get back to Utah. This flooding, tornado warning stuff is just not my "cup of tea"
I'm so happy for you! I know how much you like it out here! Just make sure you get a good property mgmt to look after for you if you're not gonna rent it out....
I've been doing okay. Since I went back to work, I don't feel like an outsider here anymore, and I'm happy about that. All the little pet peeves are pretty much gone as well, just the way people drive, but I'll have to deal with that wherever I go, so I can't say that's a Utah thing....lol.
So, I've noticed some of these threads.....yikes....I remember how unhappy I was when I moved here, so I can't comment and not sound like a hypocrite..but still....
I think people should read what has already been posted first......

Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,495,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
I'm so happy for you! I know how much you like it out here! Just make sure you get a good property mgmt to look after for you if you're not gonna rent it out....
I've been doing okay. Since I went back to work, I don't feel like an outsider here anymore, and I'm happy about that. All the little pet peeves are pretty much gone as well, just the way people drive, but I'll have to deal with that wherever I go, so I can't say that's a Utah thing....lol.
So, I've noticed some of these threads.....yikes....I remember how unhappy I was when I moved here, so I can't comment and not sound like a hypocrite..but still....
I think people should read what has already been posted first......
We actually found a renter, but had them go through the property management company we wanted to use anyways, so they could take care of collecting payments, periodic inspections etc. Due to a series of events we are moving there next year instead of 2012 as we thought. So I am happy about that.
I am glad you have settled in and are happier. Working does help. My first 6 months here I didn't work and I got so depressed with no friends, kids in Utah, sold a house I loved etc. Once I got working that all changed and I had a different focus.
I will agree the driving in Utah is challenging.
I really wish people would search the threads before they start another one. Alot of them are the same.
Glad to see ya!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,982,728 times
I think it is hard to get adjusted no matter where you moved to. When we moved to NJ from AK, it took a good few years before we got comfortable and then when we moved to UT from NJ, it took a few years again to get the feel of the way things are done. Every state has its own nuances that you have to learn to negotiate.

I wasn't always happy living in UT. When we first moved here, I had a hard time. I missed my "home". UT wasn't like the coast at all!

People just need to realize that moving is a huge adjustment and it does take some time...no matter WHERE you move.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Wow Kaytidid...NJ to AK must of been a big adjustment also.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM

We lived three years in Alaska before we moved to NJ...and six months before Alaska, I lived in Korea. THERE is an adjustment for ya! Granted, when I was in Korea and Alaska and part of NJ, I was still young and living at home. Kids seem to adjust easier than adults. Nonetheless, even as a kid, the adjustment period is still there! No matter where one can go, it still takes time to fit in with your new surroundings. I hate when people just move to UT (been here only a couple of months or so) and say, "I hate it...I hate this and that, I am leaving." You know what? Those people are going to have a hard time. Whatever state they move to still requires adjustment. The situations that require adjusting may be different, but learning how to adapt is a positive quality.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,454 times
It was my first move that was hard, all the rest have been easy enough.

We moved from Long Island to SC. Since then, the area has boomed, but at the time it was very small-town. Few traffic lights, everyone related to each other, no food I was used to (they didn't even know what I was asking for), dead animals all over the place, people spitting all over the place (tobacco?), early business hours, no Sun businesses, and when you asked people for info/help the moved and talked sloooooooooooooower than I thought possible, almost like it was a joke of some kind and they never actually GOT to the point.

(breath)

It was so aweful. Moving to Italy was 100 times easier. I know NOW that part of it was that I was totally unprepared, and partly that I had never experienced anything outside of NY (where everything is instant, convienience reins). (However, I visit there often (family), and with my older wisdom and experience still have a low regard for the place.)

Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,373 times
hey! nice to see vcdreamer back here. for some reason, it feels like it has been a while.

happy tuesday, people; though it feels like thursday for some reason...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM

It feels like it should be at least Thursday. Rough start to the week already..

Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
It was my first move that was hard, all the rest have been easy enough.

We moved from Long Island to SC. Since then, the area has boomed, but at the time it was very small-town. Few traffic lights, everyone related to each other, no food I was used to (they didn't even know what I was asking for), dead animals all over the place, people spitting all over the place (tobacco?), early business hours, no Sun businesses, and when you asked people for info/help the moved and talked sloooooooooooooower than I thought possible, almost like it was a joke of some kind and they never actually GOT to the point.

(breath)

It was so aweful. Moving to Italy was 100 times easier. I know NOW that part of it was that I was totally unprepared, and partly that I had never experienced anything outside of NY (where everything is instant, convienience reins). (However, I visit there often (family), and with my older wisdom and experience still have a low regard for the place.)
I have only visited South Carolina once. It was in the city of Aiken. Gorgeous area. Could not believe the big massive ranch homes there surrounded by trees and so inexpensive. Of course this was in 1980.
I have always wanted to visit Italy....maybe I will when we are retired.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

This is what happens when you get old....
Saturday I woke up with my back hurting like I had slept wrong. It kept getting worse through the day then that evening we went to do the dj and music for a youth valentines in Tulsa and I lifted a sound speaker and I think I injured my back more. I thought it would go away so I went to church Sunday and sat for 3 hours and it got progressively worse. Then Sunday and Monday night I couldn't sleep and I thought maybe it's a kidney infection or something because I had horrible shooting pains. So I go to the doctor and he says it's a pinched nerve and gave me some pain pills. I have taken pain pills before and been able to work..no problem. Today I took one and was in "another world" all day long. I could hardly function. I took it at 8am and am still feeling the affects. I have never had darvocet before, maybe I am allergic to them or something....I am in la la la la la la land but my pain is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah