Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've been here for a few months now and really enjoying exploring the region. I've very impressed with how beautiful and lush the local forests. I'm wondering where folks go for a nice local forest walk. By local I mean closer to your home within a short drive (< 10 miles).

We recently discovered one that is very nice in Brush Prairie called Salmon Morgan Creek. They have huge Western Red Cedars that give the cathedral feel of a redwood forest. Here's a few pictures.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
for 'public trails'...
Cape Horn
Beacon Rock
Hamilton Mtn
Franz Lake
Steigerwald refuge
Lacamas Trail are all very close.<10 miles from home

All quite unique from each other and changing vegetation / wildlife / seasons.

For forest... I am daily in my own forest (when in PNW). Neighbor has 120 acres, and there is over 300 acres of NF land within walking / horse riding distance.

Most of my cedars were logged in the 1950's, but I still have a true Pacific rain forest in my backyard (Below my territorial view)
(We look over the 300' tall trees in my backyard / canyon.) I had to take down a dead one last yr that had a 7' dia stump.

Lots of ferns hosted on trees, moss, different species of trees and native shrubs.

I will be 'brushing' tomorrow AM with my T-300 Bobcat (Wildfire mitigation + starting the process for fall 2020 firewood planning).

While living near Hazel Dell (30 yrs ago) For forest hikes... I used to do the lower portion of Burnt Bridge Creek Trail (From St Johns to Vancouver Lake) + Hazel Dell Park (Lived / farmed within a few hundred feet of there) Next to what is now the Clark County Heritage Farm (Previous Clark County Poor Farm) / across the street from Grovers Plumbing.

Near Hockinson I have a friend who owns Alderbrook and he has a few hundred acres of forest nearby that we often work on. Most of my firneds and neighbors are farmers / tree farmers and we all help each other out in the woods.

Tad further...
Consider heading to Trout Lake / Carson / Indian Heaven (real soon) for Huckleberry picking.
fit in a visit here:
https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/broch...iver-print.pdf
Further yet... The SE corner of Rainier NP has great Pacific rainforest hiking. (As does Olympic NP)

Don't forget the Skamania County Fair *this weekend (Free) / small, but quite nice (Stay for fireworks and enjoy the 4H projects / displays.

For winter / in-climate weather, Skamania Lodge has forest hiking nearby.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 PM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
I love Forest Park in Portland, its only 11 miles from downtown Vancouver. Its an easy walk for my friends who don't care to walk. The Witches Castle is so cool and being in the literal back/front-yard of the vampire house is amazing.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks...PropertyID=127

Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I love Forest Park in Portland, its only 11 miles from downtown Vancouver. Its an easy walk for my friends who don't care to walk. The Witches Castle is so cool and being in the literal back/front-yard of the vampire house is amazing.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks...PropertyID=127
Yes Forest Park, and even adjacent and more urban Washington Park which abuts downtown has some fabulous big tree groves.

Lacamas Creek Trail in Camas is also another urban trail through some pleasant forests. Although I don't think they are old growth for the most part. Once you get back into Lacamas Park it feels amazingly wild for a park that is entirely enclosed by urban development.

Also try Cape Lookout on the coast: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_g...e_Lookout_Hike
And the Salmon River trail near Rhododendron: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_g...mon_River_Hike

Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 AM

Thanks Guys! So many great options to explore locally. We've spent a lot of time at Lacamas Lake and the hiking trails. Though we haven't hiked them all yet. Forest Park in PDX sounds like a fun one to check out. I really love the large old growth trees in places.

We went to Lower Lewis Falls last weekend and it was a blast. They have some huge trees along that hike. While not local, it was well worth the drive.

Derek

Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
for 'public trails'...

Most of my cedars were logged in the 1950's, but I still have a true Pacific rain forest in my backyard (Below my territorial view)
(We look over the 300' tall trees in my backyard / canyon.) I had to take down a dead one last yr that had a 7' dia stump.
Wow, 300' tall trees are really large, especially for your backyard! Do you know if they are old growth and what type of trees are they? That's a bummer that so many cedars are gone. But the ones that are left are sure beautiful.

Derek

Old 08-16-2019, 01:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Check out Lacamas Park in Camas. It's a city park with a playground and restrooms. However there are plenty of trails. The main trail is improved and well used. There are other more rustic trails coming off that one too though. One will lead you too a nice waterfall, another will take you up to to Camas Lilly meadows, which is real nice in May-June when those lilies are in bloom. You're in the middle of a town, but you'd never know it.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:32 PM

220 posts, read 153,894 times
I love angels rest and beacon rock

Angels rest is more of a journey, but beacon rock basically anyone can do spontaneously

Old 08-17-2019, 04:47 PM

103 posts, read 91,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, 300' tall trees are really large, especially for your backyard! Do you know if they are old growth and what type of trees are they? That's a bummer that so many cedars are gone. But the ones that are left are sure beautiful.

Derek
Derek, I think Stealth was a just trying to illustrate that there are tall trees on the property not necessarily that any are actually 300' tall. Unless they are old growth redwoods/sequoias that would be world record holders, the trees on Stealth's property aren't 300' tall.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:31 PM

We found another great forest today in the northwest side of Vancouver called Whipple Creek Park. It is very nice with a lot of variety including maples. I can imagine in fall its going to look fantastic as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-17-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area