Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM

56 posts, read 294,622 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what is located at 34th St and SE 176th Ave in Fisher Landing? Is that a shopping mall? I can't make it out on Google. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
That's the Hewlett Packard plant, where all the ink-jet engines and most of the printers were designed. HP is in the process of selling the campus and, rumor has it, eventually closing the division (or consolidating it elsewhere). They used to have around 4,500 employees in engineering and manufacturing, but all the manufacturing is off-shore and the engineering is headed there too, as printers become the toasters of the 21st century. I think they're just at 1,000 employees total in that plant now.

There are some other large buildings over on that side of town that are electronics companies and wafer fabs of various kinds. Retail/commercial is concentrated on 164th/162nd, 192nd and Mill Plain.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-01-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM

56 posts, read 294,622 times
- does that plant emit any toxins in the air and/or ground?
- on a picture i see they have a lot of truck ramps - meaning heavy truck traffic. does that affect a quality of the air in a surrounding neighborhood?
- what about noise?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Since they don't actually MAKE anything there anymore, no. There is no heavy truck traffic, hence no noise. Even when there was, there is a huge empty buffer zone around the plant that's just field and forest - very common to see deer and pheasant and they leased part of it to a man who had a very small cow herd that he ran on it. If they sell the plant to someone else that may change Although it's very unlikely anyone will buy it for the present use, more like mixed commercial/residential (but since there are vacant, almost abandoned subdivisions just up the street, that may not happen either).

If you look along 192nd Ave, south toward Highway 14, you will find an active gravel quarry, however, that still does drill-and-blast. They make noise and occasionally pepper the nearby houses with fine gravel.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOCMOC View Post
- does that plant emit any toxins in the air and/or ground?
- on a picture i see they have a lot of truck ramps - meaning heavy truck traffic. does that affect a quality of the air in a surrounding neighborhood?
- what about noise?
Noise is not bad... you can still occasionally sit out at night and hear the coyotes howl from the HP site, and there are a couple barn owls who like to greet you.

It's nice factory <ASSEMBLY> plant, (no manufacturing of raw materials). It used to run ~ 40-50 semi-loads of product a day, but not since 1995. No chemical use of significance ever at this site, tho they still have a liquid Nitrogen tank for test purposes. It had a small clean room in the early 80's but that work all went to Corvallis. I believe the joint is for sale, and would make a nice roller rink, or 'executive paintball' set. (yeah, like 'PAYBACK' for all those raunchy annual evaluations ). It is very 'IN' for companies to sell their real estate to prop up the books, and an 'un-named' CEO left a real equity erosion to repair I don't think the site will sell to a manufacturer... should there be any around BUT... If you want to make some big $$, quickly you could arrange its sale to a techy EURO denominated manufacturer. It would be a bargain for someone like BOSCH or one of their Contract manufacturers. The realtor group who bought the HP 'North Campus' (now Nautilus), and resold it 1 month later to HP's neighbor in Palo Alto (CF) made several million in the transaction.

There are other plants to the east and NE to be of more concern, but not likely too hazardous. Might want to check into what Linear Technologies has on site, but Camas is pretty much on top of the chemical issues at this point.

Guess the danger depends if Mt Hood blows east or west when it looses it's top... I think there are adequate ridges to deflect the blow if it does the 'sideways' thing like St Helens. Or if a plane crashes into one of the plants. The last jetliner to drop from the sky was in Gresham ~ 1978, ran out of fuel. These things happen, just gotta deal with it, and 'keep lookin up'

Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 AM

44 posts, read 171,316 times
I live right there, in the general area off of 34th/176th ave. I do not experience any noise, or poor traffic patterns. That area is very nice. New housing and infrastructure. All the amenities you could or would want are within a short drive or walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area