Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,705 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on the future of Vancouver. I just moved here recently and think the area has a lot to offer. I like the proximity to a larger metropolitan city, the affordability of homes, the decent schools, and the abundance of outdoor activities. But, on the flip-side, I'm starting to get the feeling that people in southwest WA aren't really "thriving." The area seems very depressed to me, with the high unemployment rate (much higher than other places), and generally low educational attainment. Another thing that bothers me is the dependence on Portland for jobs. Will it always be that way? I would love to see more jobs come to Vancouver, and for the region to flourish and come into its own, generating more pride and sense of identity other than being simply a bedroom community of Portland. Could this happen any time soon? Please enlighten me if I'm missing something. I would love to hear from people that love living here and why, or what changes you predict for Vancouver in the coming years, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
SWWA needs employers. It has a lot going for it, and actually a pretty educated workforce (at least Clark County and southern Cowlitz).

Currently the outlook is grim for imminent job growth,
Bad economy, not desirable for companies to spend capital.
Land prices and planning costs are 'out-of-site' for new business creation (construction AND occupying business).
AT the moment the Oregon business incentives are more attractive than WA. There have been eras of opposite, thus Vancouver has been able to attract new employers + grow in the past.

WA is NOT tax or employer friendly for businesses, it has one of the highest B&O, Unemployment, and L&I rates. Our lawmakers including the Gov, are clueless on 'retaining' and 'attracting' businesses that drive employment. They are clueless to agriculture (which was once a HUGE WA and Vancouver economic driver.)

We (WA) really missed the boat on attracting solar companies (Which OR got a few major wins). There are terrific enticements for solar consumers in WA, once there are manufacturers.

As goes the saying.... 'our lawmakers could not run a Lemon-aide Stand, yet are making legislation decisions that strangle business activity'.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,774 times
I agree with Stealthrabbit. At one time we had both Techtronics and a larger Hewlitt Packard which were large employers. We need to keep this in mind when voting. We need more incentives to bring business here. If we vote for candidates that push for changes to employer incentives we could see change here. By lowering taxes for business who move here that will employ at least 2000 people we would see the economy rebound. If those employers also got tax breaks for college reimbursement plans we would see a more educated work force also. Maybe I should run for office? I have a plan that would work! Government jobs probably pay better than real estate....hmmm.

Best Regards,
Teresa Lamb

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlamb View Post
... Maybe I should run for office? I have a plan that would work! Government jobs probably pay better than real estate....hmmm.
Follow the lead of the Clark RE professionals that have gone before you. (Dave Sturtevant, Busse Nutley to name just a couple)

Get into public office, change the zoning laws in your favor (and your families), go back into real estate development.

It's really beneficial to you when you get into the position of Hearing's Examiner for land use.

Yes sir, right here in River City (Vancouver)

Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,774 times
Default Not a bad idea!

Just kidding! I did get involved in the BPA powerline issure since it was going through my area. Just like everyone else it affected.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcampgirl View Post
Another thing that bothers me is the dependence on Portland for jobs. Will it always be that way?
Everyone crosses the river to dodge the sales tax, so yes. Vancouver will be forever limited to selling non-taxed (groceries) or unavoidably taxed (cars) goods, and scraping by in other markets on people who can't or won't travel to Portland. Retail is dead in Vancouver as a result, and everything snowballs from there. People will drive to Portland to buy gas when the difference in cost is only a few cents. Tax on a good dinner is almost always higher than the cost of the additional drive. Online purchases are not immune, so having things shipped to your Oregon job rather than your Washington home is another workaround. And so forth.

Even assuming everyone paid their sales tax properly, Washington still has a higher overall tax rate:

The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 17,705 times
Thanks for the responses. Enlightening to hear from people who've been here longer than me. It's an interesting dynamic we've got going on here along this state border. I wonder if there are other border cities out there that have a similar dynamic and if comparisons could be made--specifically cities that maybe face the same challenges that Vancouver does and what they've done to counteract those challenges. This "case-study" really interests me. Obviously, I'm looking for hope for Vancouver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area