Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Interesting that your mind is made up so strongly....

Interesting that you think your parents, grandparents and others around you are so idiotic (you were raised in the 60's, right?). Also interesting how you are so sure of your answer (which coincidentally happens to be what has been taught (or hammered in?) since the 60's in mainstream Canada, and is considered "PC" in our country). It all remains to be seen how our immigration policy plays out. Canada is still a very, very white country and whites still control just about everything in our country. Arguably the whitest in the western hemisphere. Hopefully the policy of selling our country to the highest bidder works out for us (so far it's screwing the common people of Vancouver over damn badly) but it should be interesting to see how it continues to play out in the long run.

How interesting that Canada goes from the most racist policies in the western hemisphere to the most "anything goes" immigration policy in only a few decades. It will be interesting to see how whites react as they start to lose their grip on their privilege in Canada.
I stopped reading after the highlighted line. Your assumption that my parents, grandparents etc were racists just because they may have lived in a time of racism is absurd.

We are talking about the people that made the racists laws, and those that supported them. Not about people who were not racist and did not support those laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Gay men who keep it to themselves - no problem.

Gay men who want to announce "hey BOYS, I'm FAAABULOUS!!!" - sorry but that's one of the worst possible things anything you could do for an army's morale. Blame me if you want, but a large chunk of any fighting army would throw down their arms and walk away if there were openly gay men in their units (checking them out, fooling around after roll call)....If you want gay men to be married and have any job, I could care less, but if they want to join the military keep it to yourself.
Another absurd post.

Gay people have been openly serving for years. Who cares if you don't like it, or if another military person doesn't like it. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is against the law.

Asking gay people to " keep it to themselves " would require them to lie, as they had to in the past.

Now THAT's immoral.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:42 PM

428 posts, read 452,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Another absurd post.

Gay people have been openly serving for years. Who cares if you don't like it, or if another military person doesn't like it. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is against the law.

Asking gay people to "keep it to themselves" would require them to lie, as they had to in the past.

Now THAT's immoral.
As they had to in the past? As in when 99.9% of military victories were won? Yes you are right, Canada did well enough in the past so why change policies. My only question is "will adding openly homosexual men into the military strengthen or weaken our military"? I find it hard to believe our military will become fiercer warriors thanks to the presence of openly gay men.

Canada hasn't fought or won a battle since gay men "kept it to themselves" so your fanatical beliefs in your policy of openly homosexual men in the military is yet to proven as viable. When Canada fights a war and gay men can prove that they are no distraction to other soldiers then I will sign on to your beliefs. But for now, you are only believing in your ideology because it is what is expected, what is "PC". It has yet to be proven.

Anyways, it's always easy to play around with various experiments that could possibly hamper our military capabilities while we are under the complete protection of the US. Go ahead, marry gay men, give them jobs, I'm all for it, but I am not going to be bullied into believing that openly gay men will boost morale for our units of cold-blooded killers.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:49 PM

30 posts, read 31,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Another absurd post.

Asking gay people to " keep it to themselves " would require them to lie, as they had to in the past.

Now THAT's immoral.
So Natnasci, how long did you serve in military, and where did you see your first action?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,935,253 times
Quote:
As they had to in the past? As in when 99.9% of military victories were won? Yes you are right, Canada did well enough in the past so why change policies. My only question is "will adding openly homosexual men into the military strengthen or weaken our military"? I find it hard to believe our military will become fiercer warriors thanks to the presence of openly gay men.

Canada hasn't fought or won a battle since gay men "kept it to themselves" so your fanatical beliefs in your policy of openly homosexual men in the military is yet to proven as viable. When Canada fights a war and gay men can prove that they are no distraction to other soldiers then I will sign on to your beliefs. But for now, you are only believing in your ideology because it is what is expected, what is "PC". It has yet to be proven.

Anyways, it's always easy to play around with various experiments that could possibly hamper our military capabilities while we are under the complete protection of the US. Go ahead, marry gay men, give them jobs, I'm all for it, but I am not going to be bullied into believing that openly gay men will boost morale for our units of cold-blooded killers.
Gay men have engaged in combat throughout history... 4-10 percent of any population is gay and this wasn't any different 3000 years ago, 2000 years ago or even 5 years ago... The difference is now gays can serve openly in our forces and there is no evidence whatsoever that they would be any less or any more fierce warriors than a straight man.. Where is your evidence in a combat role a gay member of the service would negatively impact its capabilities? If some straight members have issues with this and don't want to serve well - they are free to leave the force.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:27 PM

428 posts, read 452,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You have a very dated view on gay men and women.. What argument are you making that Gay men and women wouldn't be effective in combat? How do you know they wouldn't be effective in a plethora of roles in combat any more or any less than a straight man... I'm interested in how you will rationalize your argument.
How do you know they would be effective? I am placing my faith in the tried and true method, and you are placing your faith in what hasn't been tested. At the end of the day you will support openly gay males in the military since you are gay yourself. I understand that, but when it comes to something like the military people die when something doesn't work. Generals and military commanders should decide since they have knowledge of military affairs - but instead it's opinionated civilians who haven't served a day in their life telling the military what is best for the military. I support whatever makes our military the #1 killing machine, and sorry but having openly gay men in military does not make our young men fiercer murderers. Anyone who is being honest with themselves can admit that.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian veteran View Post
So Natnasci, how long did you serve in military, and where did you see your first action?
WTF does that mean or have to do with ANYTHING ?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:

No longer engaging you. Truly you are a fool.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
How do you know they would be effective? I am placing my faith in the tried and true method, and you are placing your faith in what hasn't been tested. At the end of the day you will support openly gay males in the military since you are gay yourself. I understand that, but when it comes to something like the military people die when something doesn't work. Generals and military commanders should decide since they have knowledge of military affairs - but instead it's opinionated civilians who haven't served a day in their life telling the military what is best for the military. I support whatever makes our military the #1 killing machine, and sorry but having openly gay men in military does not make our young men fiercer murderers. Anyone who is being honest with themselves can admit that.
I don't follow your logic at all.. As I said - gay men have been serving in the military throughout history.. The only difference in modern times is now they can serve openly in a more ubiquitous manner from a global perspective (though i'm sure there are historical examples of openly gay/bi members in a military).. Any military needs to evolve and become MORE inclusive and open to change and not less so your tried and tested method theory is ridiculous. Evolution of a military force only makes it a more potent force otherwise we'd still be using dated combat methods, strategies and technologies. I don't see why holding onto dated notions from a psychological or sociological perspective is any different.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver