Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,391,703 times

Advertisements

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/soaring-va...4--sector.html

FTA:In the last five years, the median selling price for residential properties in Vancouver has jumped 57 percent to C$1.1 million, according to data compiled by Reuters from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. The price of detached homes has soared 82 percent, to C$2.1 million. The median household income, meanwhile, has risen by an estimated 13 percent in the same period, according to Statistic Canada.

Prices are high in many US cities as well, but foreign purchases are not as significant, except maybe in places like Hawaii.

But wow, $2.1 million for a single family home. Very few people can afford that. If an average person wants to live in Vancouver, it is sort of like San Francisco, you better have inherited a home or else live in a very small apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,288,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/soaring-va...4--sector.html

FTA:In the last five years, the median selling price for residential properties in Vancouver has jumped 57 percent to C$1.1 million, according to data compiled by Reuters from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. The price of detached homes has soared 82 percent, to C$2.1 million. The median household income, meanwhile, has risen by an estimated 13 percent in the same period, according to Statistic Canada.

Prices are high in many US cities as well, but foreign purchases are not as significant, except maybe in places like Hawaii.

But wow, $2.1 million for a single family home. Very few people can afford that. If an average person wants to live in Vancouver, it is sort of like San Francisco, you better have inherited a home or else live in a very small apartment.
Isn't Vancouver the Florida of Canada? Meaning having the mildest WINTERS in the Nation? Being not a land mass as big as a Florida. Demand for Canadians to live, even retire. But remain in Canada. Might also boost demand.

The Chinese like to Buy properties and wait for increased value to then sell for profits. Apparently when they sell? Their intent is profits off of Canadians. I here they have bought up properties and land around downtown Detroit. Awaiting its gentrification to reap profits.

Now NYC, SF, Chicago I here is discovered now too. The Chinese also buy prime properties to visit and sending their Children to Universities there. Buy a Condo for them going to the schools. Perhaps some of that in Vancouver too?

Seems Vancouver is fast becoming a Boutique city like San Francisco.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,747,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Isn't Vancouver the Florida of Canada?
No, it is not. Nobody goes to Vancouver in Nov-March to escape the harsh Canadian winter. Hardly anyone even travels to Vancouver in those months to have a break from the winter.

So it is not the Miami of Canada. There is NO Miami of Canada. There is only Chicago, Seattle or Minneapolis of Canada.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:17 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, it is not. Nobody goes to Vancouver in Nov-March to escape the harsh Canadian winter. Hardly anyone even travels to Vancouver in those months to have a break from the winter.

So it is not the Miami of Canada. There is NO Miami of Canada. There is only Chicago, Seattle or Minneapolis of Canada.

Botti I do not understand why you always attack the label ("California of Canada", "Miami of Canada", whatever), which, I agree, it may be formally inappropriate but you do not seem to get the underlying meaning of it.

Vancouver has indeed the milder and "best" weather in Canada as an average year round, period it is a fact.

Many people that do not have other choices other than living in Canada flock to Vancouver because of its mild winter, especially seniors (no, not everybody can afford to be a snowbird or want to be one always on the move)

The vast majority of the people that I know in Vancouver would not live anywhere else in Canada (some maybe in Victoria), if I was stuck in Canada I would not live anywhere else myself.

The lack of a harsh snowy winter does play a very important role in making Vancouver a desirable place to live for Canadians.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,179,985 times
Quote:

Yep pretty accurate. I only go to Vancouver to visit my parents there for Christmas. Crappy winter, rain + clouds = depressing.

Summer in Vancouver is nice, but then again, summer is pretty nice throughout Canada and NE U.S. as well.

Also just a clarification about housing prices in Vancouver: it is only expensive if you want to buy single family homes within or around city limits. I visited Vancouver last December, and saw a large number of new condo construction, and just judging from their bill-board prices, it's actually quite affordable if you down-size and live in condos. And the newer condos actually look quite appealing, as they are mostly built right next to Skytrain stations with easy access to rapid transit.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM

3,878 posts, read 5,304,278 times
A quick trip to Google and it tells you this is hardly a Vancouver "problem" (Whether you view it as a problem or not is up to you)

NYC: China Real Estate Investment NYC | EB 5 Visa New York
Miami: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...ubble-bursting
Boston: China's Town: Big Chinese Buyers Are Sinking Their Cash into Boston Real Estate
Toronto: How Foreign Real Estate Investors Are Changing Canada's Skyline - Forbes
SF: ?6 reasons Chinese money is raining down on Bay Area real estate - San Francisco Business Times
London: China and Qatar buy London properties - Nov. 11, 2014

I think you get the drift. I have no idea why people come down on Vancouver so hard when it comes to this topic, when every major city is basically in the game.

Yes skyrocketing housing prices are a problem for the middle class and maybe Vancouver doesn't share the same robust economic conditions with many of these other cities. But seriously what are they supposed to do if foreign buyers want to invest in their city?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,521,794 times
No one was complaining back on the eve of Hong Kong ceding back to China.

I arrived on a flight from Toronto at the same time as THREE 747 loads of Chinese "escapees" all flying in with their suitcases full of cash. I had to lift my carry-on over my head to navigate through the throng, all pushing and shoving each other like they do in China.

During my stay at that time, the city was abuzz with the "bidding wars" over any and all kinds of properties going on the market from Canadians sensing an opportunity to cash in on their arrival and need for housing. It was spread across the whole spectrum of real-estate with people who had no intention of selling prior to their arrival suddenly seeing a golden opportunity to pull a huge profit out of their house/condo/business property.

When one couples a huge population demographic that desires to move away from their traditional location bringing cash by the truckloads with them and the available better lifestyle of a receptive country with far less population density, there are bound to be small collisions of the differing ideals.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,288,086 times
Quote:
ok botti... you know the nation you still can knock down at times and argue with Canada born citizens about or the US.... surely better then I.

But I did get a Chuckle out of the Vancouver being the Seattle, Minneapolis or Chicago of Canada comment . I guess Vancouver residents APPRECIATE that link? Just... let's say WITHOUT THE SNOW AND very VERY SUB 0°C of The second Two.

But you have Been complementary to my favorite city of Chicago and its downtown. So I give you a for that.

As for your comment against SINGLE FAMILY HOMES... BELOW POST.. IT IS A TRAIT OF NORTH AMERICAN'S DESIRES. ACCEPT IT. Might be more of a LUXURY to own a single home in BOOMING TORONTO OR VANCOUVER. But ACROSS the rest of Canada or US. Not yet....

It was the NORTH AMERICAN LIFESTLYE. Sorry Europe could not attain that level.

Last edited by steeps; 07-09-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,747,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Also just a clarification about housing prices in Vancouver: it is only expensive if you want to buy single family homes within or around city limits. I visited Vancouver last December, and saw a large number of new condo construction, and just judging from their bill-board prices, it's actually quite affordable if you down-size and live in condos. And the newer condos actually look quite appealing, as they are mostly built right next to Skytrain stations with easy access to rapid transit.
That's exactly right.

Even townhomes are not that expensive. A friend of mine bought a good sized townhome within Vancouver boundary for about $600k a couple of years ago, for her family of 3. If another child is born that space is enough too. It is not huge but big enough for their needs, with great location.

The obsession over single family homes (sometimes as far as "detached home") is what makes it so unaffordable and the media keeps using that benchmark as if that's what everyone NEEDS. I'd say that's hardly a problem - try to buy a single family home in Europe or Asia and see how affordable it is.

I have said it several times, people in Vancouver and Toronto will just have to accept the fact that if you are not capable of making the top 5% income (or have a handsome inheritance), you just need to accept the fact that your family will have to live in a condo/townhouse. 90% of the world population does it, so can you.

Can't afford it? don't blame the city, or the Chinese, blame your parents for not being rich, or blame the fact that you are not good enough to make $200,000/year, OK? I heard Goldman Sachs is recruiting, why not give it a try?

Single home living in Vancouver/Toronto should not be consider as typical "middle class" lifestyle. It is rich people's life, forget about it.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Quote:
Can't afford it? don't blame the city, or the Chinese, blame for parents for not being rich, or blame the fact that you are not good enough to make $200,000/year, OK?
Blame Canada?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver