Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Vancouver has a huge Asian population. Per the 2016 census, the Asian and European populations in Metro Vancouver are split nearly evenly.

The largest Asian nationalities in the region are Chinese (~20%) and Indian (~12%). For Europeans, it's English (~20%) and Scottish (~14%).

I don't think you'll find any US city with similar demographics.

I don't think the above demographics you listed are quite accurate. You may find this is a bit more accurate and up to date, it includes all the other cities in the greater metro region together with Vancouver city proper, it is not for Vancouver city proper only:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...etro_Vancouver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Vancouver

The following is a bit more info about the city of Vancouver proper only, NOT including the other cities in the Greater Vancouver Metro regions surrounding Vancouver city:
https://vancouver.ca/news-calendar/population.aspx

The population of the city of Vancouver is a little over 632,000 at present, and the combined population with all the other cities of the lower mainland Vancouver metro district is around 2.5 million. The official land area of the district is 2,877.36 square kilometres (1,111 sq mi). It is the most densely populated region in British Columbia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:15 PM

769 posts, read 480,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think the above demographics you listed are quite accurate. You may find this is a bit more accurate and up to date, it includes all the other cities in the greater metro region together with Vancouver city proper, it is not for Vancouver city proper only:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...etro_Vancouver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Vancouver

The following is a bit more info about the city of Vancouver proper only, NOT including the other cities in the Greater Vancouver Metro regions surrounding Vancouver city:
https://vancouver.ca/news-calendar/population.aspx

The population of the city of Vancouver is a little over 632,000 at present, and the combined population with all the other cities of the lower mainland Vancouver metro district is around 2.5 million. The official land area of the district is 2,877.36 square kilometres (1,111 sq mi). It is the most densely populated region in British Columbia.

I clicked on the Statistics Canada link from that article and it was fairly similar to what I stated earlier. It shows Vancouver being 49% European and 46% Asian - a pretty even split.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Irvine is part of the Los Angeles metro area, but it's actually in Orange County. Orange County has a little over 3 million people, and over 600,000 of them are Asian. There are also over 1 million Hispanics in the county, so you're right, you can't really say it's demographically similar to Vancouver, but it is certainly an extremely diverse* area with a lot of Asians.

*unless you are one of those peculiar people to whom "diverse" means specifically "a large black population."
Los Angeles is most definitely more diverse than Vancouver. Vancouver only has significant European and Asian populations, whereas in LA it's spread out more evenly. This includes strong Hispanic and African elements, something which Vancouver severely lacks.

My original statement wasn't based on the premise on which US city was more diverse than Vancouver but rather which city had a similar demographic makeup.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Los Angeles is most definitely more diverse than Vancouver. Vancouver only has significant European and Asian populations, whereas in LA it's spread out more evenly. This includes strong Hispanic and African elements, something which Vancouver severely lacks.

My original statement wasn't based on the premise on which US city was more diverse than Vancouver but rather which city had a similar demographic makeup.
Well...I haven't been talking about Los Angeles at all. I just brought up Irvine because it does, actually, have a similar demographic to Vancouver and then extended it to Orange County because the populations of OC and Greater Vancouver are more comparable. Los Angeles was not in the picture.

After all, Irvine may be a "small" city but if it were in Canada, it'd be in the top 20 by population. (It's ~#73 in the US).

Last edited by saibot; 05-21-2019 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well...I haven't been talking about Los Angeles at all. I just brought up Irvine because it does, actually, have a similar demographic to Vancouver and then extended it to Orange County because the populations of OC and Greater Vancouver are more comparable. Los Angeles was not in the picture.

After all, Irvine may be a "small" city but if it were in Canada, it'd be in the top 20 by population. (It's ~#73 in the US).
Even still, Orange County and Metro Vancouver aren't exactly similar. For example, Chinese and South Asians form over 30% of Greater Vancouver's population; in Orange County, the number is a paltry 4%. Comparing the entire Asian proportion of both cities still shows a large gap; 46% in Vancouver and 18% in Orange County.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Vancouver, as a fairly internationalized port city, has long been a draw for immigrants from around the Pacific Rim. One big milestone comes from 1997, however. That was the year that Britain handed over control of Hong Kong to China. Many families moved to the Vancouver area in the years leading up to this event--which set the stage for ongoing immigration in subsequent years, not just from Hong Kong but from mainland China as well. The newish Aberdeen Mall shown in your video is a fun place to check out. The food court in particular is a must visit.
Canada was very attractive to HKers in the 1980s and 1990s looking for a potential safe haven prior to July 1997 due to relatively liberal regulations regarding capital and investment for emigration. My wife studied at SFU in the late 1980s as part of that wave. University of British Columbia was nicknamed "University of a Billion Chinese".

Today, by contrast, most of the Chinese folks coming to BC in recent years are from the PRC proper.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 PM

432 posts, read 285,435 times
Sounds like your one of the inferior Europeans afraid of African superiority.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
Sounds like your one of the inferior Europeans afraid of African superiority.

Perhaps you posted to the wrong thread or wrong forum?

This thread is about Asians, it is not about Europeans or Africans. What you posted doesn't make sense, it is out of context, not relevant to the topic and you never quoted or indicated who you were responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver