Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 13,811 times

Advertisements

Hello
My partner and i are currently living in the Bay Area CA.
We are considering moving to British Columbia in the future
We want to live in a somewhat rural setting and commute to work.
We would be willing to commute 45 min or less to work.
I’ve heard gaining citizenship isn’t too difficult it’s just a matter of filling put paperwork/paying fees etc
We don’t have any DUIs or criminal records so that wont hinder us.
What areas of BC have a solid job market?
Which areas are reasonably priced for renting/buying homes?
How is the economy ?
What are current gun laws ( my partner has firearms and likes to go shooting)
Any info would be helpful
Thanks in advance : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 11:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal mendez View Post
Hello
I’ve heard gaining citizenship isn’t too difficult it’s just a matter of filling put paperwork/paying fees etc
How is the economy ?
It's a little more than filling out paperwork and paying fees. And I'm pretty sure you'd have to go through the permanent residency path (which, just like in our country, is not actually permanent) before you can apply for citizenship. Short version, you're going to have to demonstrate what you have to offer Canada.

Start here to see if you are eligible and what path might work for you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

Old 09-17-2023, 11:45 AM

Thank you so much

Old 09-17-2023, 11:55 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
It is lovely here, but please also consider that according to recent data from Statistics Canada, British Columbia is currently the most expensive province in Canada.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Consider the northernmost parts of Washington state. Cities like Bellingham and Blaine have similar natural beauty and are just a short drive across the border to visit Canada. Just Friday we drove from here in Sammamish WA to Abbottsford, BC just for lunch, and get a few things at Costco and Tim Horton. For us it was about 2-1/2 hours, but we drove back on Highway 9 which took longer but was a beautiful, fun drive.
We used to drive to Vancouver or take a ferry to Victoria 2-3 times a year before COVID.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal mendez View Post
Hello
How is the economy ?
It is a way more complex process than just filling paperwork, you have to qualify for permanent residence first (either investing money in a business or as a skilled worker, company sponsorship can be another route).

Cost of living in Canada is very high and real estate prices insane (and no tax deduction)

You can find pretty much the same rural Northwest setting in WA state for less cost and no need to change country.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:08 PM

Thank you so much that's very helpful

Old 09-17-2023, 02:27 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, you and your partner would need to apply for and qualify for a Canadian residency visa, and they only accept people in professions that Canada needs, like medical, science, computer tech, engineering. It's a foreign country, you know, so it's not like moving to another state in the US.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Considering that since yesterday you've posted that you're thinking of Everette, Wa. and Portland, Or. and now British Columbia, I agree with others who've suggested that the States-side PNW would hold more options for you to find what you want. And you wouldn't have to go through all the red-tape you'd have to go through to qualify for permission as permanent residents anywhere in Canada. Also as somebody else mentioned, BC is the most expensive province in Canada to live in, regardless of whatever part of BC you find yourself in, and the housing market is not good right now for buyers or renters.

I'd suggest Everette, Wa., it's a nice town (or at least it was the last time I visited there) as a place to start out to get your bearings with what the PNW and its society is really like (believe me, it is not anything like California). That would give you the leisure time and plenty of opportunities to become acclimated to the PNW and to visit and find out more about BC and Canada's different laws and eligibility requirements in the event you really get your heart set on it in a few years time in the future. It would also give you the time to determine what essential skills and qualifications you have that you will need to be able to offer to Canada. You will need to bring some things that are in demand that you can contribute to Canada's table.

https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/h...qnum=355&top=5

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

With regard to Canada's firearms regulations this RCMP website will have the information you need to find out about. https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-17-2023 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver