Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM

40 posts, read 95,805 times

Advertisements

I love cooking with Boca burger ground crumbles. I make tacos, sloppy joes, and bolognese sauces for my meat eating family and they like it! Let me know if you want the recipe for the sloppy joes, it's easy and quick to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I used the Boca soy crumble the other night and I hated it. I don't think I'm going to be a fan of mock meats. I bought some Morning Star sausage and I'm afraid to try it now.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
boca soy crumble is gross. that's one of the dogfood tasting fake meats i was talking about in my last post.

morningstar crumble is much better but it has eggs in it now so it's out for me.

there are much better mock meats out there though. field roast sausages are fantastic, and there are recipes out there for making your own sausages that are just as good (and way cheaper!)

Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I used the Boca soy crumble the other night and I hated it. I don't think I'm going to be a fan of mock meats. I bought some Morning Star sausage and I'm afraid to try it now.
I have some Booca crumbles but am afraid to use it. I tried Bocca vegan burgers and those were nasty. I like Morningstar and Quorn products better than Bocca.

I like Morningstar's sausage patties, but I think the links and the bacon are gross. If you have the patties, don't be afraid to try it...and if you don't like it, send it to me

Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 AM

40 posts, read 95,805 times
Plain boca or boca burgers is not very tasty, however when you mix it with the sloppy joe ingredients, it's delicious. The reason it needs to be boca crumbles is because other fake meat I've tried has a mushy texture.

Here is the recipe. I suggest you try this base and then you can add more veggies to it if you like and play around with the spices as well. Also, don't add too much tomato sauce, you want it thick to eat on a bun. Last tip is to keep the sugar and vinegar amounts the same, that's the sweet/tangy flavor you get for the sloppy joes. Let me know what you think!

Ingredients

Onions, raw, 1 cup, chopped
Green Bell Peppers, 1 cup, chopped
Ghee or butter, 1 tbs
Boca Ground Burger, 24 oz
Tomato Sauce, 1.25 cup
Brown Sugar, 2 tbs packed
Ketchup, 2 tbs
Mustard, 1 tbs
White vinegar, 2 tbs

Directions

Brown onion and green pepper in 1 tbs ghee or olive oil.
Add Boca burger and tomato sauce. Stir.
Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

1 serving = 1/2 cup
Makes 12 servings. WW points per serving = 1

Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
Mock Duck. Available at Asian food stores.

Imported from Taiwan, freaking delicious.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
^^ LOL at the picture of the "chicken" on the label! ^^

I've never heard of either of these products -- will have to see if I can track them down. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 AM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
^^ LOL at the picture of the "chicken" on the label! ^^

I've never heard of either of these products -- will have to see if I can track them down. Thanks for sharing!
They range from $1 to $3 a can. Happy "hunting"!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
I've been a vegetarian for a few years and I'll never go back, but I do miss the taste of meat from time to time. I won't deny that I always enjoyed eating it, but most imitiation products don't come anywhere close to 'the real thing'. I've ordered some new stuff that should arrive tomorrow. I'm very curious if it'll be any good, it certainly looks the part: Soyes - Veggiedeli

Anyone have some other recommendations?
There are no "realistic" meat replacements. You're stuck with learning to like the existing replacements for what they are. You just can't consider them to be replacements, you have to look at them as a food product in their own right.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:06 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
Quorn chicken products
Yves ground "beef"
Boca grillers

Whole Foods has great "cafeteria" hot food, all there foods int he hot food cooked section is good, you pay by the pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food