Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
I think your planning is great. It helps to see the overall picture as you say, it's easier to plan that way. I do that too most of the time. I've started going to the store more frequently like they do in other countries. I got tired of my produce going bad before I got around to consuming it. I now have a routine that works.

I've recently learned about the lentil nutritional content and now trying to perfect the lentil loaf recipe for my tastes. I now use it in my heated corn tortillas along with lettuce and tomato and onion and salsa. Outstanding tacos!
I'd love to hear your lentil loaf recipe once it's ready. I tried one that could be improved upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM

122 posts, read 185,414 times
Paul might be able to share some helpful info

Paul Nison

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Rice and beans are infinitely variable. But being a vegetarian or vegan greatly expands your food options overall, instead of limiting them, as the carnivores believe.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM

261 posts, read 497,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'd love to hear your lentil loaf recipe once it's ready. I tried one that could be improved upon.
the lentil loaf didn't turn out too good. The beans were still too crunchy. I did manage a couple of taco lunches from them though.

As for the sweet potato enchiladas, they were surprisingly tasty. I used a a baked sweet potato, frozen corn, onions, and mixed it up with enchilada sauce. Put a bit of that mixture on each nuked tortilla and rolled it up. Then poured the rest of the sauce over them and shredded block cheddar and jack cheese. Covered and baked. I'm on meal 3 of this and it is really good. I don't miss the meat at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,463,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But being a vegetarian or vegan greatly expands your food options overall, instead of limiting them, as the carnivores believe.
I agree. Switching to a plant based diet has given me such variety in what I eat everyday. Prior, we were stuck in a rut and it seemed like we were always eating the same things.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
You never have to eat anything processed like tempeh or tofu unless you like them. Salads are great but you can't live on those! You can fix noodles, rice, baked potatoes, all manner of savory vegetable pies, burritos, stir-fries, soups coming out your ears, casseroles...

Example: Enchilada casserole. Take a package of the large-sized sheet breads, like tortillas (wheat or corn) or lawash bread (which comes in several flavors now), and a can of ready-made refried beans. Spread each sheet of bread with the refries, roll them up, and slice them so they can be packed in layers into a baking dish. Sprinkle whole corn kernels between the layers of bean rolls. Pour your favorite enchilada sauce over all and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for half an hour. You can add cheese over the top if you like, or use chili instead of beans and enchilada sauce.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I make it as a main dish. I gave that recipe four stars. Unless you love, love, LOVE cilantro, you can get away less than 1/2 cup. I like about 1/4 cup.

I'm not sure how it would work in a taco because the quinoa really swells up. The texture might feel a little bit doughy if you are making soft tacos, a little bit grainy if making hard tacos.

For tacos, I just use meat substitute crumbles, whichever has the least salt. Then again, I use the prefab taco kits that come with seasoning. If you make your own seasoning mix, salt content might not matter.

Have you thought of switching to burritos instead? Here's one I haven't tried yet that looks pretty good:

Delicious Black Bean Burritos Recipe - Allrecipes.com

If you're fond of Mexican food, I added a quesadilla recipe to my post above. Sometimes one ingredient makes a big difference in flavor. In the quesadillas I added, it's the brown sugar. Absolutely wonderful.
I made those black bean burritos tonight. I made a double batch with Cuban-seasoned black beans and only a little onion (husband is sensitive). I used four sun-dried tomato tortillas and added some shredded cheese. I rolled them all up in foil for lunches this week. I will mash up an avocado tomorrow morning with a little lemon juice and send it in his lunch box.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
We are "vegan" for lent. Honestly, it is killing me. No eggs, no cheese. I did get a subscription to "Vegetarian Times", which has lots of recipes for stir fry, soups, I don't pasta, rice, or bread.
Costco has a lot of vegetarian friendly food now, I was surprised.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We are "vegan" for lent. Honestly, it is killing me. No eggs, no cheese. I did get a subscription to "Vegetarian Times", which has lots of recipes for stir fry, soups, I don't pasta, rice, or bread.
Costco has a lot of vegetarian friendly food now, I was surprised.
Do you like beans and lentils?

This weekend I am going to make vegetarian enchiladas stuffed with black beans, blackened corn, bell peppers, and zucchini. Corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, some cheese, maybe some sliced olives and green onions on top. I might use refried pinto beans and whole black beans just for chunkiness. Or I might add some cream cheese to make the filling a little more oozy.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
A significant portion of Indians are vegetarian, so there are a lot of great vegetarian recipes from there, both ovo-lacto vegetarian as well as "pure veg" (vegan).

Like:

Saag paneer (spinach and cheese curry)
Dal makhani (lentils and butter curry)
Chana masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce)
Aloo gobi (Potato and cauliflower curry)
Dal tadka (Lentil curry)
Kadhi pakoda (Lentil dumpling curry)
Masala Dosa (crispy lentil crepe with potatoes inside)
Utthapam (savory onion pancake)

Search for any of these items on Google and you're sure to find a multitude of recipes. Any special ingredient you may need can be found at your local Indian grocery store.

Also, "heat-and-eat" prepared curries are available from Indian grocery stores for a typical price of $2 / meal. Unlike their American equivalents, they contain mostly or exclusively natural ingredients and are of high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food