Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times

Advertisements

What do you like about being a vegetarian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...out-being.html

Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
That's a good thread that plaidmom posted. A short answer from myself, besides what I wrote in that other thread, is "everything."

What is really interesting is learning about very young people who make the decision to not eat flesh. I wish I had done that earlier in my life, but we all learn things differently. Is this simple curiosity, or are you thinking about becoming a vegetarian?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM

275 posts, read 687,131 times
i used to be a vegetarian/vegan for 8 months and i got bored of it, even though i was introduced to all kinds of healthy food, the idea of going to toilet more often was making me sick and i was losing a lot of weight fast since i exercise on a daily basis. Even with the help of whole grains,legumes and other veggie protein it still wasn't enough protein.

since i started eating white meat and fish i have noticed a lot of change in my physical strength. i know you will mention about soy protein, but to be honest soy isn't good for you if you an athlete and you want to depend on it. Too much soy increases estrogen hormone. i still eat some vegetarian meals on my resting days. vegetarianism is good but it also has some negatives as i have mentioned above

Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
i used to be a vegetarian/vegan for 8 months and i got bored of it, even though i was introduced to all kinds of healthy food, the idea of going to toilet more often was making me sick and i was losing a lot of weight fast since i exercise on a daily basis. Even with the help of whole grains,legumes and other veggie protein it still wasn't enough protein.

since i started eating white meat and fish i have noticed a lot of change in my physical strength. i know you will mention about soy protein, but to be honest soy isn't good for you if you an athlete and you want to depend on it. Too much soy increases estrogen hormone. i still eat some vegetarian meals on my resting days. vegetarianism is good but it also has some negatives as i have mentioned above

What sports do you do? Age ? Gender?

I ask because I have been a lifelong athlete (surfing and skiing as a kid, marathons[running] and bicycle racing -road and mtb--as an adult). I've competed at a fairly high level. I too exercise every day.

I've been vegetarian for well over 1/2 of my life now. I've not seen the negative effects that you have. I also know other vegetarian (pro) athletes.

I do wonder if you were simply not getting enough calories.....

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post

So much to respond to here but not enough time.

I will say that hemp is an excellent source of protein. Personally, I use the hemp seeds and hemp protein powder. I learned of hemp from Brendan Brazier. He has been a professional athlete since 1998. Oh yeah, and he eats a 100% plant based diet.

http://www.thrivediet.com/

Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I like everything about being a vegetarian, better for the environment, since less water is needed to produce plant food, rather than using grain to fatten up live-stock, no animal waste polluting etc. Eating lower on the food chain is a good thing.
I like the fact that I am contributing as little as possible to the suffering of other living creatures. That is my main goal. I LOVE the food!!! I would much rather eat a vegetarian meal than any meat dish. I'd never go back.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
1. Staying healthy

2. not being exposed to all the chemicals they put in these animals these days

3. Getting a more balanced diet.

4. saving money.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Knowing that I'm not eating anything that requires 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of it (meat)

Knowing massive amounts of water are being saved (since the livestock industry uses more water than any other industry).

Knowing that no growth hormones, antibiotics, chemicals, saturated fat, cholesterol, and casein are going into my body.

Knowing mercury and other hard metals aren't entering my body (fish)

Knowing that some poor animal did not need to like cooped up in a pen for its whole life, then get skinned alive and chopped up so I could eat it. Nobody needs to die so I can have dinner.

Knowing that 4-5 days worth of meat are not decaying in my intestines, releasing toxins into my body and causing cancer, etc

Feeling great and looking 5-10 years younger than omnivores my age

No feeling bloated after eating and still having plenty of energy for good, long workouts

Never getting sick and not carrying any excess weight on my body

Reducing my carbon footprint drastically

A lower grocery bill

A sense of inner peace

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 89,380 times
You know, for me becoming a vegetarian was a decision to improve my health, and heal a heart condition. I come from a family where breakfast was always biscuits, sausage gravy and eggs, and lots of our vegetables were fried (fried zucchini, fried eggplant, fried okra, fried potatoes). My arteries are clogging as I write this. My SAD (standard american diet) food choices improved as I got older, and I found that veggies tasted great without breading and grease. I was fit and healthy most of my 20s to mid 40s, then the middle age spread hit, the activity level fell and I started having high cholesterol, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and a heart problem. That is when the choice to change my diet was made.

I've been eating like this for three years. At first my family made comments at holiday dinners like "let's shave some tree bark off for John". It never bothered me that I ate salads while they feasted on pig, cow, elk, deer, chicken and turkey....untill recently. I read some comments about people choosing this way of eating because of their concerns for animals. That's wasn't what got me into this, but I have to say I've become very aware of the way we, as a culture, treat the least among us. Just because we can hold animals in captivity under horrible conditions, and kill them in the most convenient way for the captors, does it make it right? I don't think so.

Okay, off my soap box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food