Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't support ANYONE being picked on for anything. However, today the tables are being turned. I have two teenagers, and many of their friends are vegetarian, or want to be. At their high school, veggie burgers are served and there is a salad bar available.

My eldest is in the process of applying to colleges right now, and EVERY COLLEGE OFFERS VEGETARIAN and VEGAN options at every meal! So this is the next generation, folks!

I hope to live to see the time when a turkey trussed on a holiday table or a piece of pig studded with cloves and pineapple will be weird and disgusting to most people. It already is to my children.
That is AWESOME!!! I wish more restaurants would offer vegetarian options. Most places have the usual "veggie wrap" or "veggie sandwich" along with my most hated... salad. Seriously, if I'm going out to eat, don't expect me to want a salad! We have one vegan cafe and one known vegetarian restaurant in my area... that's it. Of course you can always talk to the servers and have them come up with something, but I wish it was just the norm to have more veggie options on menus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I do too Becca! I love cooking, but I enjoy a good night out, eating at a restaurant, and socializing with friends. I am "leaning vegan" - not quite there yet, but eating in restaurants makes that REALLY hard!

I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania, former coal miner country,(not exactly SoCal when it comes to healthy and trendy food; and even here, things are getting better! There is even a cool bar that serves tofu made several different ways (Thia, South West, Asian, etc) with a dipping sauce! It's awesome. In Scranton, there is a wonderful vegan restaurant, "Eden" So even here, in meast and potatoes country, there is hope!

I have had great luck at Asian restaurants - Thia, Chinese, and to a lesser extent, Japanese. Italian usually is a safe choice. Mediterranean and middle eastern have good selections.

Even the big box chain restaurants Such as Chilli's and Red Robin have veggie burgers. Not bad choices for a night out with the girls.

I have no problem eating at restaurants that also serve meat. In fact, from an activist point of view, this makes an even greater impact to eat at a "normal" average restaurant, and order their vegetarian options. These people are out to make money and when they serve enough veggie burgers, what's next? Perhaps a good vegetarian chilli, sausage and peppers, vegan lasagna.

The best is yet to come - for us and for the animals!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Vegan Starter Kit - Mercy For Animals

Just in case anyone is interested.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I do too Becca! I love cooking, but I enjoy a good night out, eating at a restaurant, and socializing with friends. I am "leaning vegan" - not quite there yet, but eating in restaurants makes that REALLY hard!

I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania, former coal miner country,(not exactly SoCal when it comes to healthy and trendy food; and even here, things are getting better! There is even a cool bar that serves tofu made several different ways (Thia, South West, Asian, etc) with a dipping sauce! It's awesome. In Scranton, there is a wonderful vegan restaurant, "Eden" So even here, in meast and potatoes country, there is hope!

I have had great luck at Asian restaurants - Thia, Chinese, and to a lesser extent, Japanese. Italian usually is a safe choice. Mediterranean and middle eastern have good selections.

Even the big box chain restaurants Such as Chilli's and Red Robin have veggie burgers. Not bad choices for a night out with the girls.

I have no problem eating at restaurants that also serve meat. In fact, from an activist point of view, this makes an even greater impact to eat at a "normal" average restaurant, and order their vegetarian options. These people are out to make money and when they serve enough veggie burgers, what's next? Perhaps a good vegetarian chilli, sausage and peppers, vegan lasagna.

The best is yet to come - for us and for the animals!
Oh I bet vegan in restaurants is difficult. As of now, I'm only vegetarian with no plans of going vegan for now... we'll see if that changes in the future

I'm just outside of Syracuse so having Wegmans is AWESOME! Wegmans selection is actually BETTER than the veggie/health store! Which is nuts to me. I tried the veg/health store once and won't go back because I was so disappointed with their selection. Wegmans has all I could ever ask for! Thankfully they put it all in that Nature's Marketplace section to make it easier

I have found that the individually owned restaurants tend to have more options than chains - like you said, Asian/Thai is always a good bet. I went to an Italian pasta place a few weeks ago and had an awesome dish. It's just frustrating to see when you look at a menu only ONE item that's completely veg. Thankfully most people will work with you, but I just wish there was more of that PUSH towards non meat-eaters.

I had former friends that didn't "get" the whole vegetarian thing. The husband was constantly puzzled why I wouldn't eat chicken or fish... uh, THAT'S MEAT HELLO! They wanted me to go to Applebee's with them once and I said no because I didn't want crap food. I suggested Panera and they absolutely wouldn't eat at a place that is known for "healthy." They told me I could go to Applebee's and have a salad. I scoffed. Seriously, just because I'm veg doesn't mean I want to sit around eating salads all the time! But, note that I said FORMER friends

Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
When I go to those awful dinner banquets for awards, or whatever, I always request vegetarian. Last time I had a plate full of fresh fruit, a large baked potatoe, and a mouth watering portobello mushroom sandwich, with veggies. The other diners, with their overcooked rubbery chicken, steamed broccoli, looked at my plate with longing! Maybe the chef was vegetarian!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
I don't support ANYONE being picked on for anything. However, today the tables are being turned. I have two teenagers, and many of their friends are vegetarian, or want to be. At their high school, veggie burgers are served and there is a salad bar available.

My eldest is in the process of applying to colleges right now, and EVERY COLLEGE OFFERS VEGETARIAN and VEGAN options at every meal! So this is the next generation, folks!

I hope to live to see the time when a turkey trussed on a holiday table or a piece of pig studded with cloves and pineapple will be weird and disgusting to most people. It already is to my children.
Out of a thousand Children, there were just three Vegetarians at my School, my two Sisters and I, now there's a minority.

Do Vegetarian Children get invited to parties now?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Wait - Panera is known for "healthy?" All those sugary dessert breads, and sodium heart-attack regular breads, and those "delicious" apples which are not delicious at all, once you get past the 4-inch-thick polish they slather onto the surface, or the myriad chemical pesticides they used to grow the tree...

Not an organic potato chip in the building; do you really want to know what's in the dirt they pulled those taters from?

Not that I have anything against Panera, I eat there usually at least once every other month. But I go there knowing damned well there's nothing "healthy" about it.

Oh also - just to add to the current thread of conversation: every airline I've flown with in the past decade has offered vegetarian food as an option. It used to be, you'd have to select it prior to the flight, when you made your reservation. But now that full meals are rarely served on flights under 3 hours long, they just offer it as part of the "boxed meals" or snacks. If you're not sure if something is vegetarian or not, just ask if the kosher meal is meat or non-meat. If it's non-meat, get the kosher meal. It'll probably be better tasting than the meat-dish, even if you are an omnivore.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wait - Panera is known for "healthy?" All those sugary dessert breads, and sodium heart-attack regular breads, and those "delicious" apples which are not delicious at all, once you get past the 4-inch-thick polish they slather onto the surface, or the myriad chemical pesticides they used to grow the tree...

Not an organic potato chip in the building; do you really want to know what's in the dirt they pulled those taters from?

Not that I have anything against Panera, I eat there usually at least once every other month. But I go there knowing damned well there's nothing "healthy" about it.
lol sorry I should've elaborated. These people are from Oklahoma and eat deep fried everything. So the THOUGHT of going to a place that has sandwiches and salads ("healthy" in their eyes, even though the rest of us know Panera can be extremely unhealthy) was absolutely not going to happen. They didn't even give it another thought, just said absolutely not they wouldn't go to Panera because it's "healthy." I didn't even try explaining to them because it was a lost cause.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
lol sorry I should've elaborated. These people are from Oklahoma and eat deep fried everything. So the THOUGHT of going to a place that has sandwiches and salads ("healthy" in their eyes, even though the rest of us know Panera can be extremely unhealthy) was absolutely not going to happen. They didn't even give it another thought, just said absolutely not they wouldn't go to Panera because it's "healthy." I didn't even try explaining to them because it was a lost cause.
Blech. I probably wouldn't make it in Kentucky even with my evil flesh habit. I prefer my mushrooms sauteed, or raw. The only deep fried anything that I really -like- a whole lot, are clams (which don't qualify in this thread) and fried-dough pizza, with garlic, tomato sauce, and tons of parmesean cheese (qualifies for vegetarian but not for vegan).

And everyone knows, that you can't get decent pizza south of Maryland

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Why is it that I feel like so many vegetarians have this holier than thou attitude? I'm the only veg in my group of friends and everyone treats my choices with the upmost respect - and I do the same for them! Seeing as I used to be a meateater, I really can't be one to judge. I feel that everyone had the right to their own choices. I made mine and I'm happy with that.
Hear me out on this, but I believe it's a lot like born-again Christians. They feel that they've "seen the light!" and must share with everyone else that fact.

Part of it is to validate their own beliefs that what they're doing is right, thus the holier-than-thou attitude you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food