Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times

Advertisements

This threaed is an offshoot of the thread about a new vegetarian craving meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You could be protein deficient which usually happens when you remove meat from the typical American diet. Look up how much protein you should consume for your body weight and then make sure you are consuming that amount.
This is simply not true. The amount of protein recommended by supposed "Food & Nutrition" boards is VASTLY blown out of proportion on purpose by groups who are completely in bed with the meat & dairy industries. The guidelines for acceptable cholesterol, sugar intake, and BMI levels are also totally out of whack for Americans. Everyone goes way, way over the recommended amounts too. How many people do you know that drink a 6 pack of soda or beer everyday?

I haven't had meat in over a year (or dairy) and I'm not deficient in anything. The only thing you could possibly miss from meat is B12, which you just take a supplement. No different than vitamin D with people who don't get enough sun. My body and energy levels blow away anyone on a typical American diet. At least for me and my body composition, there is no comparison.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
This is simply not true. The amount of protein recommended by supposed "Food & Nutrition" boards is VASTLY blown out of proportion on purpose by groups who are completely in bed with the meat & dairy industries.
What isn't true? What I said was entirely straightforward. Firstly, as I said, if you remove meat from the typical American diet they will become protein deficit. Now, because of this, a plausible explanation for the OP's meat cravings are that he/she is becoming protein deficit. The OP should keep track of how much protein they are eating and make sure they are meeting their needs.

As for protein requirements, the standard recommendation is around .4g per every pound of body weight. This recommendation isn't some big conspiracy and you'll find it in numerous books on vegetarianism, indeed, many people suggest that vegetarians should eat more like .5g per pound because plant-based proteins aren't absorbed as readily as animal based ones.

Quote:
I haven't had meat in over a year (or dairy) and I'm not deficient in anything.
How do you know that? Most deficiencies can't easily be measured and many take years to become problematic.

So to say it again, you just can't take meat out of the typical American diet and be healthy. You have to make significant dietary changes and that could be the OP's issue.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What isn't true? What I said was entirely straightforward. Firstly, as I said, if you remove meat from the typical American diet they will become protein deficit. Now, because of this, a plausible explanation for the OP's meat cravings are that he/she is becoming protein deficit. The OP should keep track of how much protein they are eating and make sure they are meeting their needs.

As for protein requirements, the standard recommendation is around .4g per every pound of body weight. This recommendation isn't some big conspiracy and you'll find it in numerous books on vegetarianism, indeed, many people suggest that vegetarians should eat more like .5g per pound because plant-based proteins aren't absorbed as readily as animal based ones.

How do you know that? Most deficiencies can't easily be measured and many take years to become problematic.

So to say it again, you just can't take meat out of the typical American diet and be healthy. You have to make significant dietary changes and that could be the OP's issue.
I don't buy that 40% of our body weight in grams of protein is required and I don't put any weight into any group, government or otherwise, that tells me I need to be putting that much protein in my body. Its most certainly not recommended in the vegan/vegetarian books I've read.

People crave meat or cheese like they crave anything else that tastes good or is bad for you. I crave candy, drugs, and liquor sometimes too; Does that mean I'm deficient in something? Do my occasional Dorritos cravings mean I'm missing something when I walk by the chip aisle in the store? No, it means they taste good and I want to eat them. I don't buy into the American medical society attempting to turn gluttony into a treatable condition or a disease.

I know I'm not deficient because my body is healthy and full of energy. When I was eating animal products I felt lethargic and lazy. After a typical meal I would want to take a nap. Your body will cue you nicely if you're giving it what it needs versus what your tongue desires to taste. I am also much more sensitive now to anything that disagrees with me. Modern medicine and current standards in America are more custom fit to obese people. I refuse to take advice from health professionals who are brainwashed and doctors who take 2 credit hours of nutrition in college.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I don't buy that 40% of our body weight in grams of protein is required and I don't put any weight into any group, government or otherwise, that tells me I need to be putting that much protein in my body.
Well, you can believe whatever you wish. But that is the recommendation based on current science, its not a number that was created by the meat industry. Why blame the meat industry anyways? Why not the legume or nut industry?

Quote:
People crave meat or cheese like they crave anything else that tastes good or is bad for you.
I'm assuming that, since the OP has created a thread about it, the carving is something more intense that your typical "I want some chocolate" sort of thing. In this case, not getting enough protein is a good explanation...though it could certainly be another issue. The OP needs to make sure they are getting enough protein.

Quote:
I know I'm not deficient because my body is healthy and full of energy.
In other words...you really have no idea. To say it again, nutritional deficiencies can take many years to show themselves.

Regardless, my commentary is scientifically based. You are, of course, free to thumb your nose at science...

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,881 times
Quote:
You could be protein deficient which usually happens when you remove meat from the typical American diet. Look up how much protein you should consume for your body weight and then make sure you are consuming that amount.
That may be true, but I don't know many vegetarians who eat the typical American diet, just minus meat. Most of us are mindful to eat a varied and balanced diet. I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years and a vegan for many years. I've never had any issues. In fact, the typical American diet often includes too much protein (and sodium, fat, carbohydrates...), given the lack of exercise that the typical American gets.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Regardless, my commentary is scientifically based. You are, of course, free to thumb your nose at science...
Most "scientific" backed daily allowance suggestions for protein are crap! Science at one time considered cigarettes healthy and the world flat. It changes and I promise you it will eventually change to declare meat & dairy dangerous for your health. Its already happening but America is highly resistant to change due to the complex infrastructure in place by the meat & dairy industry. Scientific studies also exist that have shown different types of people to have an extremely healthy diet consisting of 15 to 30 grams of protein per day. Saying people need 60 grams or more of protein per day is excessive, ignorant, and studies also point to it being linked to cancer & heart disease (mostly animal protein consumption). If you dispute that last part please read "The China Study" in its entirety and get back to me.

I'll also add that my wife has had her blood levels checked since we've been on the diet and she wasn't deficient IN ANYTHING! No deficiencies in iron, B12, D, nothing! Further, doctors don't test for protein deficiency without exceptionally rare circumstances being present. Giving absolutely none of the basic symptoms of such a deficiency, I can only think it an incredibly stupid waste of money to test oneself for something like this. Everything we should be eating has protein in it. You're almost guaranteed to get enough protein unless your diet consists of nothing but Dr. Pepper and popsicles.

Last edited by Jason28; 05-25-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
That may be true, but I don't know many vegetarians who eat the typical American diet, just minus meat. Most of us are mindful to eat a varied and balanced diet. I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years and a vegan for many years.
Yes, but there is a survivorship bias here. Namely, you're not counting the people that tried to be vegetarian and reverted...just those that have been successful at it for decades.

I think the protein issue is important. It is, I believe, one of the primary reasons people revert back to eating meat when they experiment with vegetarianism. They often say things like "I just couldn't do it", etc.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
If you dispute that last part please read "The China Study" in its entirety and get back to me.
You're not making that much sense, here you are referencing a scientific study while discounting other parts of science because science can change over time. The China Study doesn't show that low protein consumption is healthy, instead it provides evidence that animal proteins are correlated with certain diseases.

By the way, you're conflating public opinion with science. The Greeks showed that the Earth wasn't flat before science existed and scientists never thought that cigarettes were "healthy".

Quote:
You're almost guaranteed to get enough protein unless your diet consists of nothing but Dr. Pepper and popsicles.
Only if you believe that 15g is sufficient protein, but that isn't scientifically founded. If you use the standard recommendations, then its rather easy (especially for a Westerner) to become protein deficient if they stop eating meat.

Regardless, the .4g per pound recommendation is the recommendation that is rooted in current science and can be found in just about any nutritional book vegetarian, vegan or otherwise. I'm not sure why you're so hostile to this particular piece of nutritional science. You can see the same recommendation by the Vegetarian Resource Group, here are some sample meals:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

They are using the same figure I cited earlier.

Last edited by user_id; 05-25-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
You're not making that much sense, here you are referencing a scientific study while discounting other parts of science because science can change over time. The China Study doesn't show that low protein consumption is healthy, instead it provides evidence that animal proteins are correlated with certain diseases.

By the way, you're conflating public opinion with science. The Greeks showed that the Earth wasn't flat before science existed and scientists never thought that cigarettes were "healthy".

Only if you believe that 15g is sufficient protein, but that isn't scientifically founded. If you use the standard recommendations, then its rather easy (especially for a Westerner) to become protein deficient if they stop eating meat.

Regardless, the .4g per pound recommendation is the recommendation that is rooted in current science and can be found in just about any nutritional book vegetarian, vegan or otherwise. I'm not sure why you're so hostile to this particular piece of nutritional science. You can see the same recommendation by the Vegetarian Resource Group, here are some sample meals:

Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

They are using the same figure I cited earlier.
The China Study advocates a diet that is not high in protein and refrains from animal products. The book doesn't go into detail with specific diet examples for vegan meals but it states that high protein, particularly high animal protein, is associated with diseases that we all die from in the western world. There are direct studies in the book illustrating that animals partaking in high protein diets (from animal sources) died of cancer.

I would wager that some health "professionals" advocated cigarettes as healthy, or having health benefits at one time or another although I'm too lazy to search the internet for hours to prove a point. You can find this with almost any number of products that are clearly not good for you such as wine or coffee. Science does change their opinions and does make mistakes. My point with that is you claiming your argument is based on current scientific guidelines is rather meaningless as I can do the exact same thing or find any number of studies that prove any point I care to make.

Since I am a perfect example of someone on a vegan diet in excellent health and body condition on a lower than American average protein diet, it would appear as if my diet runs directly contradictory to whatever "protein guidelines" are recommended. Excess protein, like that recommended, is probably doing more harm than good and causing a great number of people to end their lives in pain & agony.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
The China Study advocates a diet that is not high in protein and refrains from animal products. The book doesn't go into detail with specific diet examples for vegan meals but it states that high protein, particularly high animal protein, is associated with diseases that we all die from in the western world.
Huh? When did I suggest that the OP, or anybody else, should have a diet that is high in protein? The issue here is that you seem believe that the recommended protein intake is some lie created by the meat industry and represents a "high protein diet". But, as can be seen by my previous link, vegetarian sources cite the same numbers. Do you believe that Vegan and Vegetarian groups are conspiring with the meat industry?

Its unfortunate that you're creating confusion around an issue that is straightforward....

Quote:
Since I am a perfect example of someone on a vegan diet in excellent health and body condition on a lower than American average protein diet, it would appear as if my diet runs directly contradictory to whatever "protein guidelines" are recommended.
What is the American average protein diet? I cited protein intake recommendations, they aren't averages or only for Americans...they are recommendations based on our bodies' nutritional needs. As for your diet, I have no idea what you eat and my comments had nothing to do with your diet. But from the sounds of it, you have no idea whether you're getting enough protein because you haven't bothered to monitor your protein intake.

Anyhow, if you think science is meaningless...there isn't much to say.

So back to the OP, the OP should calculate how much protein they are eating in their current diet and make adjustments if his/her protein intake is below the recommendation. If this is done, after a few weeks the desire for meat should subside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food