Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times

Advertisements

I often do that with my friend. I will make a yummy veg stir fry, with pineapple fried rice, and veg spring rolls. He will eat hearty portions, get all full, and then he indignantly states, "WTH! No meat! OMG, I might die!".

He thinks I am trying to kill him.

We have a lot of fun, I only cook veg, he only cooks meat. Needless to say, I pack my own food when I go to his place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,833,345 times
I think an issue sometimes with vegetarian or vegan meals is the way they look. If you are aiming for a veg lifestyle you see health but for a newbie they see ick. For example it may taste very good the drinks made out of a lot of veggies that are green. Sometimes the mind makes a choice for the body.
In general unless one has a medical issue that a person needs to make a drastic overnight change slow transitions make it easier to adjust and taste buds too in my opinion.
On a side note I want to try sushi which I would not eat because I am very picky on the animal products I do eat and no way will I have it raw so that I would like to try vegetarian.
Random question how do people feel here about fake meats like Boca burgers? I just ask cause I know many who are vegetarian have mixed feelings and mixed feelings in soy products in general

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
I have had vegetarian sushi, tastefully done, with cucumbers, avocado, shredded daikon, and carrot. Very good.

I like Boca burgers, I also like Morningstar sausage.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
I'm not a vegetarian either, but love lots of fresh fruits and vegetable. I'm eating spiced tofu with onions and sea asparagus right now.

Thanks sharing all the great recipes.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I think an issue sometimes with vegetarian or vegan meals is the way they look. If you are aiming for a veg lifestyle you see health but for a newbie they see ick. For example it may taste very good the drinks made out of a lot of veggies that are green. Sometimes the mind makes a choice for the body.
In general unless one has a medical issue that a person needs to make a drastic overnight change slow transitions make it easier to adjust and taste buds too in my opinion.
On a side note I want to try sushi which I would not eat because I am very picky on the animal products I do eat and no way will I have it raw so that I would like to try vegetarian.
Random question how do people feel here about fake meats like Boca burgers? I just ask cause I know many who are vegetarian have mixed feelings and mixed feelings in soy products in general
I generally do not eat any of the fake meats on the market (although I do buy a few for my husband - he likes them very much but he only eats them occasionally). I have had vegan chorizo in vegan chili and it tasted fine but not necessary for me. I do make "meatloaf" made from lentils, diced vegetables, nuts, oat flour, etc....and I've made black bean burgers but I make everything from scratch and it is all vegan. I can't eat any wheat, rye or barley products so that negates me eating many of the meat sustitutes which are often made with wheat gluten. Marinated tofu and tempeh also have gluten. In general, I don't have a problem with the fake meat stuff as long as it contains all natural, pronounceable vegan products - no chemicals.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,772,962 times
Mikala, what is the world is sea asparagus?

I know I was put waaaaaaaay off vegetarian cooking for years because everyone I knew who ate that way seemed to think mayonnaise is a vegetable. Everything they ate seemed to be oozing pus with every bite. Also, my very first exposure to tofu was traumatic. Now that I know how to use it I like it fine, but I still shudder when I think of that first lunch.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Mikala, what is the world is sea asparagus?

I know I was put waaaaaaaay off vegetarian cooking for years because everyone I knew who ate that way seemed to think mayonnaise is a vegetable. Everything they ate seemed to be oozing pus with every bite. Also, my very first exposure to tofu was traumatic. Now that I know how to use it I like it fine, but I still shudder when I think of that first lunch.

This link should help: the accidental scientist: A is for (Sea) Asparagus

It's a salty/green flavor - must be a type of seaweed though I'm not sure.

Locally we can get it year round, usually at farmer's markets. I like it, though in moderation - it's usually used as an accent, like you would an onion.

Because of the very strong Asian influence here eating seaweed is no big deal, we eat all different types of it.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,425 times
We've been to lots of potlucks over the years & my favorite recipes to share with my non-veg'n friends are ones containing wild rice. I've tried at least 6 recipes, with these being a few of my favorites about which everyone raves!

They are perfect for potlucks since the first can be reheated in a microwave & the second is served at room temperature.

WILD RICE PILAF WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH & DRIED CRANBERRIES

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled seeded butternut squash
1 cup wild rice
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored, diced
1 cinnamon stick
3 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Add ginger, curry powder, cumin, and garlic; stir 1 minute. Stir in squash and next 4 ingredients. Add 3 3/4 cups water and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries. Cover; let stand until cranberries soften, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand uncovered at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap; rewarm in microwave.)

NUTTED WILD RICE

1 cup raw wild rice
5 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup shelled pecan halves
1 cup yellow raisins
grated rind of 1 large organic orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 scallions thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
salt & pepper to taste

Rinse rice. Bring rice in stock or water to boil. Simmer uncovered 30- 45 minutes, not too soft. Place a thin towel in colander & drain rice. Transfer rice to bowl. Add remaining ingredients & toss gently. Let mixture stand 2 hours to develop flavors. Serve at room temperature.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Yum Bongo!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
NUTTED WILD RICE

1 cup raw wild rice
5 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup shelled pecan halves
1 cup yellow raisins
grated rind of 1 large organic orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 scallions thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
salt & pepper to taste

Rinse rice. Bring rice in stock or water to boil. Simmer uncovered 30- 45 minutes, not too soft. Place a thin towel in colander & drain rice. Transfer rice to bowl. Add remaining ingredients & toss gently. Let mixture stand 2 hours to develop flavors. Serve at room temperature.
This looks delicious. I want to double-check with you on the amount of liquid, seems like a lot for 1 cup of rice? Usually when I make whole brown rice I do 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Is this supposed to be more like a soup, or does wild rice simply require more liquid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food