Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,785,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This looks delicious. I want to double-check with you on the amount of liquid, seems like a lot for 1 cup of rice? Usually when I make whole brown rice I do 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Is this supposed to be more like a soup, or does wild rice simply require more liquid?
It is incredibly delicious! Not soupy at all! Here's the original recipe:
Nutted Wild Rice Recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook

For brown rice I too use 2 to 1 water to rice; however, this is wild rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM

7,352 posts, read 11,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We've been to lots of potlucks over the years & my favorite recipes to share with my non-veg'n friends are ones containing wild rice. I've tried at least 6 recipes, with these being a few of my favorites about which everyone raves!

They are perfect for potlucks since the first can be reheated in a microwave & the second is served at room temperature.

WILD RICE PILAF WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH & DRIED CRANBERRIES

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled seeded butternut squash
1 cup wild rice
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored, diced
1 cinnamon stick
3 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Add ginger, curry powder, cumin, and garlic; stir 1 minute. Stir in squash and next 4 ingredients. Add 3 3/4 cups water and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries. Cover; let stand until cranberries soften, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand uncovered at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap; rewarm in microwave.)

NUTTED WILD RICE

1 cup raw wild rice
5 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup shelled pecan halves
1 cup yellow raisins
grated rind of 1 large organic orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 scallions thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
salt & pepper to taste

Rinse rice. Bring rice in stock or water to boil. Simmer uncovered 30- 45 minutes, not too soft. Place a thin towel in colander & drain rice. Transfer rice to bowl. Add remaining ingredients & toss gently. Let mixture stand 2 hours to develop flavors. Serve at room temperature.

Bongo, these sound to die for!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,062,584 times
It's not much but it's tasty and takes about 10 minutes.

1 can of black beans (strained)
1 can of kidney beans (strained)
1/2 cup of chopped onions (you can use less or more, it's to your liking)
1/2 cup of chopped celery (you can use less or more, it's to your liking)
1/2 cup of salsa (you can use less or more, it's to your liking)
bag of chips

Turn on oven to broil. Heat up some of your favorite oil in a pan and saute the onions and celery cooked to your liking and then add the beans to heat them up. Take a nice large cooking pan and spread some chips on it to cover the whole pan making a nice layer. Don't let the chips stack on each other if you can. Now add bean mixture on the chips with some cheese and salsa (optional) if you like. Stick in over to just melt cheese. Now eat it or add some sour cream if you're like me.

My wife makes this about once a week and god it's some good stuff. This makes enough for 2 or 3 people. But I do tend to eat more than I should so maybe 4 people if you have light eaters in your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food