Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Smoothies are great. One of my favorites is an organic blend of kale/spinach, nuts or nut butter, frozen berries, and water. It's ready in about 2-3 minutes.

I rarely prepare fresh juice, but take the easy way out by ordering it from a local health food store. I'll pick-up fresh fruits and veggies while there. I also use green and red powders, but that's just me.

Oatmeal is great for breakfast, and is a great alternative to sugary cereals. I always add berries. Hemp seeds have a nutty taste and can supply Omega 3, so I'll use those at times, or nuts.

Beans can be added to salads for an even greater nutritional punch.

Salads are versatile and great as long as they are not spoiled by adding calorie-laden liquid oils.

Nutritional yeast has a nutty flavor, is a good B12 source, and can be sprinkled on top of pop corn, salads, cooked veggies...

You can use a steam/rice/slow/ "whatever" cooker to quickly prepare meals. I sometimes use mine to cook beans or brown rice. At other times, I will make a really fast meal by steaming a potato, together with an assortment of greens, a beet, carrots, or corn-on- the-cob. I first steam the potato for a few minutes, and then add the veggies.

The steamer can be used to make soups, as well.

If your son really gets into vegetarianism and wants to have fun (if you have the time& interest), try sprouting. He might love the idea of growing some of his own food indoors. Check YouTube for the easier-than-easy instructions. BTW, you don't need special equipment, a mason jar will do just fine.

If you want, a dehydrator can be used to make veggie or fruit chips.

Fresh fruit, or even organic dried white mulberries (I buy them in bulk from Amazon.com) are good for snacking.

Regarding supplementation, most medical nutritionists seem to recommend either daily, or weekly, B12 tablets for both vegans and vegetarians. They're really inexpensive.

Some also recommend an additional source of Omega 3. "Ovega 3" is one vegan option, and there are others. Alternately, and a wonderful option, you can use a coffee grinder to grind flax seeds in under 30 seconds; and then add them to cereals, salads, smoothies, etc.

I haven't run across any credible medical nutritionists who worry about protein intake on either a vegan or vegetarian diet, as you can get all you need from plants; and Americans actually have the opposite problem of consuming too much protein.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-16-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Thanks Pacific. I will make sure to get him some B12.

Tonight we are trying a West African peanut stew...I actually have all ingredients on hand! I also make a chickpea chili with rice, cumin, and mango chutney that he likes...easy to take to school in a thermos too.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Oh, the yeast...you just sprinkle it? Before or after cooking?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Dietitians of Canada - Food Sources of Vitamin B12

B12 can be had in abundance on a vegetarian diet, it becomes an issue on a vegan diet. Eggs, dairy, and nuts contain decent amounts of B12.

As long as the kid is eating healthy whole natural foods, there shouldn't be a problem. If the kid wants to eat oreos and drink Coke then it could become an issue.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Oh, the yeast...you just sprinkle it? Before or after cooking?
Oh, I'm definitely not a cook, so maybe someone who is will chime in! >. I add it to my veggies after steaming, and during oil-free stir-frying, but that's just me, the non-cook.

BTW, you can also make vegetarian lasagna and a ton of other things.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Tonight we are trying a West African peanut stew...I actually have all ingredients on hand! I also make a chickpea chili with rice, cumin, and mango chutney that he likes...easy to take to school in a thermos too.
Delicious! You already know a lot about vegetarian meals!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:

Tonight we are all coming to your house.

If you care to share the recipes, please feel free. There's a thread for it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...pe-thread.html

Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzo0904

Thanks Pacific. I will make sure to get him
some B12.

Tonight we are trying a West African peanut stew...I actually
have all ingredients on hand! I also make a chickpea chili with rice, cumin,
and mango chutney that he likes...easy to take to school in a thermos too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Tonight we are all coming to your house.

If you care to share the recipes, please feel free. There's a thread for it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...pe-thread.html
I would abandon some of my mostly non-cooking ways to try those.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I recommend taking a look at the recipes and comments on this website:

V e g a n D a d

The writer has 2 children and the whole family is vegetarian. He has lots of good recipes that are child friendly, and often comments on his kids reaction to them. He also has a cookbook available, but tons of recipes on his site.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Keep some cooked quinoa in the fridge -- it will stay fresh several days. You can add some to his hot or cold cereal. Its great to add in salads. Its also great cooked. Its a grain and a good source of protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food