Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says -- post your favorite recipes here for everyone to share. If you're pulling a recipe from the web, please give credit where it's due, and be aware of copyright issues (in other words, don't copy/paste directly from another site).

Thanks, Quiet Walker, for the terrific suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Default Cooking With Francis the Dog ~ :)

YouTube - How to Make Taiyaki (Fish-Shaped Cake with Bean Paste)

White Bean Paste Cake

I haven't made this yet, but you could easily substitute the eggs and white sugar for vegan items. I've had this before, not in the shape of fish though, and it's quite delicious.

Plus, you get the joy of Cooking With Francis the Dog. This is a regular program from Japan!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
Seasoned Tofu Steaks

Use as a main dish or in sandwiches. From 'Cooking Light' magazine, Sept. 1998.

1/2 lb. firm or extra firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tblsp. dry breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
vegetable oil (I use olive oil)

1. To prepare tofu steaks, cut tofu lengthwise into 6 slices. Drain between layers of towels.

2. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through black pepper). Dip tofu slices into egg; dredge in flour mixture. Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu steaks, cook 6 minutes, turning after 3 minutes. Remove from skillet.

I serve these with pasta & tomato sauce. It's sort of a "Tofu Cutlets Parmagiana" type dish.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Default Stuffed Bell Peppers

Here's a crowd pleasing dish I've made many times. It is so good, I believe due to the mushrooms and cheese in the filling. This is taken from the book Vegetarian Creations, S.K. Publications, ISBN: 978-0-9182-2426-2. This is my favorite cookbook full of wonderful dishes made with mostly everyday ingredients Vegetarian Creations: Arlene Muska, Valerie Poole: Books: DealOz

Notes: 1. This recipe is for 12 stuffed pepper halves (6 green peppers). I make the filling as described but only make 6 stuffed halves. I freeze the filling not used for another day and another 3 green peppers. 2. 6 stuffed pepper halves fit nicely 2X3 in a 1 1/2 qt. rectangular baking dish. I cover it with aluminum foil when baking. 3. I've always used freshly grated cheddar cheese in place of the mozzarella or muenster specified in the recipe - some day I'll have to try them 4. Good rice makes a big difference - I use Jasmine or Basmati. I made this once with instant rice and the result was quite different and disappointing. 5. The well filled pepper halves are large and filling and I think two make a hearty serving. Serve with hot crusty bread.

Stuffed Bell Peppers

An entree to please vegetarians and non vegetarians alike, these green pepper halves are generously filled with rice, vegetables and cheese.

6 large green bell peppers
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup granular textured vegetable protein (TVP)
3 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
12 fresh mushrooms, chopped
3 cups cooked rice
2 cups shredded mozzarella or muenster cheese
2 1/4 cups marinara sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove stems. Remove seeds and cut away cores, leaving peppers intact. Bring approximately 2 inches of water to boil in a large pot. Place peppers in pot, cut-side up. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 to 15 minutes until pepper halves are tender but retain their shape. Drain.

In a small bowl, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over dry TVP. Set aside.

Melt butter or heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add onion and saute until soft. Add mushrooms and saute a few more minutes.

Combine cooked rice, 1 cup of the cheese and 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce in a large bowl. Add moistened TVP, onion and mushrooms, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour remaining 2 cups marinara sauce into a large casserole with a cover or two smaller baking dishes with covers. Arrange pepper halves cut-side up on top of sauce. Spoon filling into peppers. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over filling.

Bake covered at 325 deg F for 35 minutes.

Note: This dish can be prepared in advance and refrigerated, in which case baking time should be adjusted accordingly.

Substitution: 2/3 cup Boca or Morningstar crumbles for the TVP and boiling water. I haven't tried this but I believe it will work. The crumbles products are prepared TVP. Let me know how this turns out if you try it

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
These are a few of my favorites from vegweb.com:

Orange Chicken Style Tofu <- seriously tastes just like Orange Chicken!
Easy West African Peanut Soup
Sweet Potato Coconut Stew Quick and Simple

Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Good rice makes a big difference - I use Jasmine or Basmati.
Substitution: Boca or Morningstar crumbles for the TVP...Let me know how this turns out if you try it
I love Basmati rice! Stuffed peppers are one of my favorite dishes. I will be trying this (when it's not so hot) sometime this week, vegan, & let you know.

Stuffed peppers, mashed potatoes & green beans. Lovely!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i just made fried green tomatoes, cause my garden is full of green tomatoes at present!

it's super simple -

slice 4 large green tomatos into 1/2" slices

mix together:
1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, or combination ( i do half and half)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

heat a pan (preferably a cast iron skillet) with some oil (1-2 tbsp maybe?) until hot.

dredge tomatoes in the flour mixture to coat, shake off anty excess, and drop into the pan.

cook until both sides are golden brown, turning once.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:20 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
oh this is another go-to thing - i posted it in another thread but oh well!

it's modified from the candle cafe cookbook.

baked tempeh

1/2 cup shoyu or tamari soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 thin slices fresh ginger

the makes marinade for 2 8 oz packages of tempeh. i usually cut them in half the short way and then cut each half into 2 triangles.

mix together the marinade ingredients in a small baking dish, add the tempeh and bake, covered, at 350 for about an hour or until the marinade is absorbed. flip the tempeh halfway through. that's it!

i originally found this as part of a recipe that involved breading & frying it after the baking, but i like it as is, for sandwiches, stir fries, or just as the main protein component of the meal on its own. you won't believe how flavorful it is, all the way through!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Default Tofu Spaghetti Balls

Here is a favorite tofu creation. It is taken from the book Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler, The Book Publishing Co, ISBN: 0-913990-38-8. Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler - Alibris

Note: I buy tofu in those one pound tubs so that's what I use for this recipe, multiplying all the other ingredients by approximately 1 1/3. One Tbsp dry parsely works with this in place of the fresh from the original version.

Tofu Spaghetti Balls

Serves 4-6 Makes twenty-four 1 1/2" balls

Mix together well:

3/4 lb tofu, mashed
1/2 cup flour, bread crumbs, rolled oats, or corn flakes
1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped fine
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper

Roll into 1 1/2" balls
Roll balls in flour and fry in 1/2" oil over medium heat until browned all over
Turn each ball about every 3 minutes
Serve with hot spaghetti and Italian style pasta sauce

Per Ball: Calories 58, Protein: 2gm, Fat: 4gm, Carbohydrates: 3gm

Old 08-15-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Stuffed peppers are one of my favorite dishes. I will be trying this (when it's not so hot) sometime this week, vegan, & let you know.
HHAHA...I'm quoting myself! I still have several recipes to try, but it's still too hot for me to turn on the oven. (Not that anyone is waiting to hear the results! ~ )

Now, the spaghetti balls w/peanut butter sounds very interesting. Another dish for my list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food