Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Life obviously begets life - as least in terms of animals and plants and life as we know it today. We know that plants emit signals when they are about to be killed and thus they can sense things and communicate (whether that demonstrates "intelligence" is of course arguable).
What is arguable? Chemical processes are not a demonstration of intelligence, if that were true every organ in your body would poses an independent intelligence. At least scientifically, there is no reason to believe that plants poses any sort of intelligence or sentience.

Quote:
I question why can't people just eat what they want to eat without making a big stink about it and trying to convert others?
Because its a question of ethics.

Quote:
I know the argument has been presented that this is a myth, but I disagree about that. If you take "in shape" people from a large variety of genetic backgrounds, Men will be larger/taller, stronger, and heavier in most (if not all) situations.
Men are, on average, larger than women and as a result have higher protein needs but they are nowhere near 10 times higher and its rather easy for vegetarian, and even vegan, men to get sufficient protein. The average man only needs around 56 grams of protein, though it may be a good idea for vegetarian men to get more like 65+ grams.

Quote:
I'm an in shape guy who appreciates the idea of eating vegetarian as much as anyone else, but I don't have the time nor energy to eat that way. I know that I can cook up a tiny piece of organic grass-fed free-range bison, lamb, or chicken and with some vegetables and fruit (and some daily supplements) I obtain everything my body needs to not digest itself for a whole day or two.
Vegetarian food doesn't take more time to prepare nor is it difficult to obtain sufficient protein from vegetarian meals. You're not going to obtain everything your body needs by eating a "tiny piece" of meat, vegetables and fruit. You seem to think that vegetarians primarily subsist on vegetables and fruit, but that would be an unbalanced vegetarian diet. Vegetarians don't need to eat more vegetables and fruit than non-vegetarians, instead vegetarians should replace meat with legumes and some additional whole grains. Some quick vegetarian meals:

- Large baked potato with vegetarian chili (can be quickly made or purchased prepared) with a salad or some steamed vegetables.
- Lentil soup with some nice crusty whole grain bread with some vegetables on the side.
- Stir fly vegetables with tofu over brown rice.
- Big salad with chickpeas and a serving of cheese with some whole grain bread.

The above meals would provide 30~50 grams of high quality protein.

Last edited by user_id; 02-01-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This seems to be for the US
Remarkably, I was able to discern that the OP in this thread was about the United States. It just took a bit of focus on the writer's intent in context.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Remarkably, I was able to discern that the OP in this thread was about the United States. It just took a bit of focus on the writer's intent in context.
You don't say? But perhaps you were too focused on making a snarky comment to observe the point,namely, if the number of vegetarian men and women is roughly equivalent in other cultures then the distribution in the US is unlikely to be rooted in human biology. Which was, if you noticed, something discussed in the OP.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 AM

94 posts, read 160,412 times
I am totally agree with this thread, even I have observed this in our society where most women, including me, are vegetarians. I think reason behind this is that most women maintain their body figure by having vegetarian food and the other hand men want muscular body by having non-veg.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
But perhaps you were too focused on making a snarky comment
You seem to be projecting.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Even factoring in all such religious groups and other equivocations regarding the gender of vegetarians, there are still substantially more women (7%) than men (4%) who are vegetarians.
3% is hardly substantial.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:23 AM
bUU

Given that men and women both represent 50% of the population, a difference between 7% and 4% is a 27% difference - quite substantial.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
There is a cultural bias for females to be vegan/vegetarian and for males to eat meat. Society (at least American society anyways) perceives vegan/vegetarian males as weak and effeminate even though meat eaters tend to be frailer and weaker per unit mass. Personally I could care less about gender expectations and live mostly as a vegan. (And most of the arguments against veganism/vegetarianism are weak at best.)

Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
It may be in the US anyway that women are generally more conscious and introspective creatures...
Men are (wrongly) conditioned about the need for high amounts of protein and ways to attain it. Through in the meat and dairy industry brainwashing its no wonder males gravitate towards meat diets.
Better education... support by famous vegan athletes... would perhaps pierce the perception milk does a body good...

I suggest physicians committee on responsible medicine reports for some enlightening reading for my meat eating friends ...
Google vegan athletes and there are many great articles on the vegan diet and performance
Hey men... want to be a better performer... a couple of feet of dead meat purifying in your intestines doesn't make for good performance... in all areas... 'ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food