Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Bacon is so fantastically popular because of its taste. There must be something in human brains that says this taste is good. So why on earth would you avoid eating something that tasted as good and didn't conflict with your morals?

Sounds like some wear-it-on-your-sleeve "ascetic pretentiousness" borne from trying to intellectualize sensations. Just daft.

In other words why not - it tastes good and it isn't animal.
While I wouldn't say it quite that way, I substantially agree. We cannot escape the fact that our physiology has developed over hundreds of thousands of years in the context of eating animals. We can choose not to, surely, for whatever reasons, but that doesn't mean we're switching a switch turning off hundreds of thousands of years of psycho- and physiological development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:42 AM
bUU

This is a duplicate of this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...l#post40437236

Old 07-21-2015, 03:52 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
$90. Costs about as much as bacon, doesn't it?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
MMMMmmmmm...... SEAWEED!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
It costs about US$90 for 500g. Isn't that pricey?
I'd take that cost estimate with a grain of salt. It is for dried dulse, when sold as a seasoning. You want fresh dulse to make this bacon substitute. Fresh dulse goes for about $30 a pound I believe. More expensive than bacon, for sure, but not $90 for 500g. I suspect that its price will come down a lot further if it were to be commercialized as a vegan bacon substitute. It's not like it is a hard to grow plant.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:34 AM

231 posts, read 213,398 times
I don't believe that any true Vegans would want to taste bacon.

Vegans are already living their 'food nirvana'.

Carry on.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'd take that cost estimate with a grain of salt. It is for dried dulse, when sold as a seasoning. You want fresh dulse to make this bacon substitute. Fresh dulse goes for about $30 a pound I believe. More expensive than bacon, for sure, but not $90 for 500g. I suspect that its price will come down a lot further if it were to be commercialized as a vegan bacon substitute. It's not like it is a hard to grow plant.
I hope so. The article states it grows fairly quickly and prolifically so not sure what is the reason behind the high prices. Either way, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
I don't believe that any true Vegans would want to taste bacon.
That sounds a bit like the No True Scotsman fallacy. I think it makes as much sense as saying that true Italians wouldn't want to taste spring rolls. What distinguishes someone as a vegan or vegetarian, in the manner you're speaking, is their concern about the animals, not some proprietary antipathy toward a certain kind of taste.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
I lived a long time in Hawaii, and developed quite a taste for the green seafood that KTA sold. I found it here in Florida at the local Publix grocery store, but it is super expensive and loaded w/ salt.

Actually, the fake veggie bacon they have in the frozen food section tastes delicious, but I went to a gluten free diet, and you would not believe how many things have wheat in them! So no more fake bacon w/ my grits.

Where DO people get these ideas of what a vegan will or won't do? It's not a spiritual practice, it's a diet choice. If someone makes it into a religion, it's THEIR religion, not mine, and it's only what they decide to do. How someone else goes about it may be quite different. Wow, people are so judgmental.

buu, there are many native American tribes that were hunter gathers and ate a totally vegetarian diet. Those tribes that did not have access to good vegetarian food had to go to an animal diet to survive. If you lived in the northern hemispheres, it obviously made it impossible to rely on just vegetables. I'm sure this is true for other indigenous people the world over. Humans are omnivorous, we are not naturally carnivorous. Here's a link to just one of many, many scientific articles (admittedly published in a newspaper) than debunks the idea that humans are naturally carnivorous animals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-..._b_214390.html

Last edited by smarino; 11-03-2015 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food