Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,087,287 times

Advertisements

It's probably been said - I didn't read all the posts - but I have two favorites I alternate between. Chia Seed Pudding, and Summer (Roiled Oats) Oatmeal. I make them up with any non dairy milk in pint size mason jars. I have used both fresh and dried fruits in them, and varying sweeteners. I like to spice them up with cardamom, Ceylon cinnamon, ginger and ground cloves.

The thing I like best is neither one of them is cooked, and both are as delicious as I want to make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
That's not strange, it sounds very good to me! About once a week we have a hot breakfast usually sourdough pancakes, but once in awhile we will have something similar to your breakfast today. Try this....
Recipe is from minimalistbaker.com

Southwest Tofu Scramble. serves 2

Scramble:
8 oz extra firm tofu
1 T olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 C kale, chopped

Sauce:
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Water to thin

1) Pat tofu dry. Wrap in paper towels and press dry. Put a heavy pan on top for 15 minutes to drain.
2) Prepare sauce. This is the cool part! Add the dry spices to a small bowl adding just enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside
3) Prep vegetables then heat a skillet and add bit of oil, then onion and red peppers, add pinch salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add kale, a bit more s&p (I added 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes) cover to steam 2 minutes.
4) Unwrap tofu, crumble using a fork. Move veggies to one side of pan then add tofu. Saute 2 minutes, then add sauce over tofu but adding a bit to veggies. Stir to mix tofu and sauce then mix everything together. Cook 5 - 7 minutes more.
5) Serve immediatey!
I like this on warm corn tortillas with chopped cilantro and Sriracha.
Enjoy!
I had this for brunch today. It was so good!

Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM

1,267 posts, read 671,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I had this for brunch today. It was so good!
So glad you enjoyed it!

Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM

88,648 posts, read 84,943,363 times
I eat a lot of oatmeal with almond milk and berries and peanut butter for breakfast.

I will have to try to make that tofu scramble. I've only ever had one at the place near where my daughter lives when we've gone there for brunch.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I eat a lot of oatmeal with almond milk and berries and peanut butter for breakfast.

I will have to try to make that tofu scramble. I've only ever had one at the place near where my daughter lives when we've gone there for brunch.
I'm not much for breakfast and will usually just have several large cups of black coffee throughout the morning, but when I do feel like eating, I'll open the freezer door and grab an Amy's Tofu Scramble Breakfast Wrap.

https://www.amys.com/our-foods/tofu-...ap-gluten-free

My other go-to option is simply an RTD protein drink. (I'm lazy and don't make my own, although sometimes my wife will make smoothies and I'll have some of hers.)

Old 07-27-2019, 02:01 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
That's not strange, it sounds very good to me! About once a week we have a hot breakfast usually sourdough pancakes, but once in awhile we will have something similar to your breakfast today. Try this....
Recipe is from minimalistbaker.com

Southwest Tofu Scramble. serves 2

Scramble:
8 oz extra firm tofu
1 T olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 C kale, chopped

Sauce:
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Water to thin

1) Pat tofu dry. Wrap in paper towels and press dry. Put a heavy pan on top for 15 minutes to drain.
2) Prepare sauce. This is the cool part! Add the dry spices to a small bowl adding just enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside
3) Prep vegetables then heat a skillet and add bit of oil, then onion and red peppers, add pinch salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add kale, a bit more s&p (I added 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes) cover to steam 2 minutes.
4) Unwrap tofu, crumble using a fork. Move veggies to one side of pan then add tofu. Saute 2 minutes, then add sauce over tofu but adding a bit to veggies. Stir to mix tofu and sauce then mix everything together. Cook 5 - 7 minutes more.
5) Serve immediatey!
I like this on warm corn tortillas with chopped cilantro and Sriracha.
Enjoy!

This sounds very good!

I've never done anything like that with tofu--I just cut it into cubes, and add it to soups and stews. I always get the extra-firm, too, so I'm going to try this.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:28 PM

999 posts, read 554,820 times
I'm not full vegetarian but I eat plant based most of the time. I think that's called "flexitarian" or something like that, but I'm not into labeling my diet. I pretty much eat meat once or twice a year (or occasionally when traveling through remote villages in foreign countries).

For breakfast, I just eat normal foods. I've never been into "breakfast food" or whatever. I just heat up some of last night's dinner, usually. I also sometimes have a fruit smoothie.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:10 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,143 times
Not a vegetarian/vegan here either but I am addicted to yakisoba with tofu for breakfast.

I start by frying a minced clove of garlic in oil then add tofu cut into bite sized pieces. I then add sliced mushrooms and cook until the tofu is browned. I added soba noodles(boiled) and yakisoba sauce and stir fry for a few minutes until everything is mixed.

It's really easy.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
I usually tend toward the following

- Waffles with vegan butter and maple syrup

- Toasted sourdough bread with either avocado and shallot or vegan butter, Marmite, and sauerkraut. Sprinkled with smoked paprika in both cases.

- Or a bowl of berries and semisweet chocolate chips

- Or if it's a day with early work meetings, frozen potato and pea samosas

Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM

88,648 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Today it's oatmeal with blueberries, cherries, and peanut butter. I put a little 2% milk in it. Prefer to use almond milk, but I don't have any, and I'm at someone else's house who has milk in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food