Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have not eaten meat for THIRTY YEARS. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian, a vegan, a sincerely trying to be vegan, a pescatarian (only because I was told to be by a doctor) and no dairy vegetarian - and until this mother's day - I have never, ever owned a food processor.

I would start to look up rice and bean recipes, - there are so many! Learn about lentils - and get to love them - they cook quickly, and you can fill tacos with them, make a "meaty" loaf with a mushroom onion gravy, make a delicious soup, Dal, Indian food. AND MORE.

CHICK PEAS - get to know Middle Eastern cookery. Hummus - made out of chick peas, Felafel - made out of chick peas and tabouleh salad, make a delicious dinner.

AND - there are so many prepared vegetarian foods now!

I would also explore "fake meats" - there are so many good ones available now that there is sure to be one that will taste good on the grill or substitute for your favorite recipe - just add a BIG salad, and a potato, corn, rice, or pasta.

Don't want to grill? Make these with fake meats -

"Chick'n Salad" with celery, carrots, and mayonnaise (real or vegan) lettuce and tomato.

Veggie Chili with Ground Meatless

Meat Balls and spaghetti - made with Nathan's Meat Balls.

I hope this gives you some ideas!

I agree with what you said except for the fake meats part. Those are great for those who are meat eaters that want to cut back, for those in transition, or for very occasional meals. They are processed and should not be relied upon. I think it is more important to "learn" how to eat without directly replacing meat with something that resembles meat. Get out of the mentality that each meal must contain a meat, a potato, a veggie, and a bread.

There are a lot of really good meat replacements out there, but I would not suggest getting into the habit of relying on them.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with what you said except for the fake meats part. Those are great for those who are meat eaters that want to cut back, for those in transition, or for very occasional meals. They are processed and should not be relied upon. I think it is more important to "learn" how to eat without directly replacing meat with something that resembles meat. Get out of the mentality that each meal must contain a meat, a potato, a veggie, and a bread.

There are a lot of really good meat replacements out there, but I would not suggest getting into the habit of relying on them.
While I agree that faux meat is a processed food that should not be eaten daily or even weekly, in an ideal world, many new vegetarians/vegans do rely upon it in the beginning.

I believe that I listed many other ideas - that one was my last. One of the reasons I mentioned it, was that Spring and Summer are not times when many people want to be involved with complicated recipes. Many people also want to grill outdoors. I often get a craving for a grilled burger, hot dog or sausage at this time of year, and I don't beat myself up if I eat a non-meat grilled hot dog. Certainly better than the real thing.

I am also a harm reductionist. Not everyone is a cook, or likes spending an inordinate amount of time on food preparation. I'd rather see people eat a Boca burger than a real burger. Neither qualifies as health food. But one kills an innocent life.

Some people, like the OP, are scared off from giving up meat, because they think they will suddenly have to invest in a food processor, or completely change their lifestyles. That "purist" type of thought scares some people off. Many new vegetarians are just not ready to give everything up all at once.

And, people vary in their personal limit for eating "processed food". For some, store bought bread is a processed food to be avoided at all costs. For others, baking bread is something that I do perhaps twice a year. If that. I don't like baking bread, particularly. So, I avoid it, and purchase the most healthy, tasty bread available.

I am not disagreeing with you, in a perfect world, everyone would instantly change the paradigm of what constitutes a "meal" from the "meat, starch, small amount of vegetables" model to thinking that sauteed seasoned greens, beans, and brown rice, or a sweet potato baked with pure Vermont maple syrup, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a large green salad constitute a meal. For me they do. But, newbie vegetarians might have a hard time swallowing that. No pun intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I am not disagreeing with you, in a perfect world, everyone would instantly change the paradigm of what constitutes a "meal" from the "meat, starch, small amount of vegetables" model to thinking that sauteed seasoned greens, beans, and brown rice, or a sweet potato baked with pure Vermont maple syrup, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a large green salad constitute a meal. For me they do. But, newbie vegetarians might have a hard time swallowing that. No pun intended.
Right. That is why I said they are good for those in transition to veg*n or for those who want to reduce their meat intake. It's a process to learn how to not eat in your usual way with some sort of meat at every meal, but I think it is best that it is learned...eventually. I was not saying it was instant. People who want to change for the better don't quit drinking whiskey and just replace it with beer, or quit cigarettes and replace them with chewing tobacco. Many people go vegan and find themselves gaining weight, which seems opposite of what you would expect, because they are eating all of that processed stuff. They are replacing fried food that contains meat with fried food that doesn't (chicken strips or fish, for example)

Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I'll add to the bunch: I've prepared a lot of vegetarian meals and never used a food processor, and I have one.

Now vegan might be another thing, I see a lot of cashew creams and such...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'll add to the bunch: I've prepared a lot of vegetarian meals and never used a food processor, and I have one.

Now vegan might be another thing, I see a lot of cashew creams and such...

Me too, except for gazpacho soup...

Old 05-27-2018, 04:47 PM

184 posts, read 440,335 times
I eat a vegan, whole food plant based diet and I don't have a food processor. Just lots of chopping at times! But I have a Vitamix blender that I use daily for creams, sauces, smoothies, etc. Now *that* is something I can't live without!

Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So wife and I are planning to go vegetarian. We are looking to do meals can have leftovers and casseroles. So far all we found requires a food processor.

Any recepies can recommend or links for veggie recepies to help with our search.

Appreciate the feedback.

All you need is a good chopping knife to replace the food processor if you don't want one.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 PM

4,620 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
You don't need a food processor to cook rice and beans. Or pasta. Or baked potatoes and salad. Or vegetable stir-fry. Or vegetable soup, or chili.

People survived for thousands of years without fancy electronic kitchen gadgets :-)
Yes indeed.

Stews and chili are my standby dinner dishes (and hot cereals for breakfast). A pot, a knife and a cutting board are the only tools required. Sometimes I steam veggies too. Nothing against food processors, but I've never owned one, because I never saw a need to.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
Of course you can. I've been a vegetarian all my life and have never owned a food processor.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
You don't have to have a food processor but I use mine to make hummus and "nice cream" (ice cream made from frozen bananas). Why not buy one? They're not that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food