Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:09 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You don't have to have a food processor but I use mine to make hummus and "nice cream" (ice cream made from frozen bananas). Why not buy one? They're not that expensive.
I like the banana "ice cream", but a hand-held immersion mixer works just fine for both that and homemade hummus, not that I make the latter that much (but my daughter does when she comes to visit).

It's not the expense. I can afford a food processor. I am just older and at a stage in my life where I am trying to reduce the amount of "things" and "stuff" in my life, and more crap cluttering up the counter isn't conducive to that. Plus it's got parts and it has to be cleaned. Bah. Who can bother.

I have simplified!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
When the lid to my 30 year old food processor cracked, I didn't replace it. Maybe, it used it about 20 times in 30 years. When my 20 year old blender broke, I didn't replace it either. I have a small kitchen and am trying to reduce the amount of stuff that I own. I hated cleaning both of those things anyway and as the family got smaller, meal preparation shrank too.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:40 PM

4,621 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with what you said except for the fake meats part. Those are great for those who are meat eaters that want to cut back, for those in transition, or for very occasional meals. They are processed and should not be relied upon. I think it is more important to "learn" how to eat without directly replacing meat with something that resembles meat. Get out of the mentality that each meal must contain a meat, a potato, a veggie, and a bread.

There are a lot of really good meat replacements out there, but I would not suggest getting into the habit of relying on them.
My standard home-made dishes are stews, chilis and curried rice + lentils... no imitation meat in those. But if I stop in at a certain Chinese restaurant, I like to order their veggie-beef and broccoli...

Old 06-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
When the lid to my 30 year old food processor cracked, I didn't replace it. Maybe, it used it about 20 times in 30 years. When my 20 year old blender broke, I didn't replace it either. I have a small kitchen and am trying to reduce the amount of stuff that I own. I hated cleaning both of those things anyway and as the family got smaller, meal preparation shrank too.
Exactly my thinking. There was a time when I liked to cook. I was married, and although my husband wasn't the best husband, he was a great guinea pig.

But now, I'm long divorced, my only child is grown and gone, and it's just me in a small condo. I have a toaster and a microwave and a coffeemaker on the counter. Anything beyond that is a waste of time and space to me.

I have a friend my age who never married and lives alone, but her kitchen, which is bigger than mine, has no space at all on the counters. She has this big thing that's sort of a crockpot but you can fry in, a food processor, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, toaster oven, this, that, and the other thing, and it just makes me itch to stand there and look at all that clutter.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Hummus requires either a food processor or many hours of labor. Mideastern women suffered from back problems caused by this before the advent of the food processor. Highest sales per capita are in the Mideast. My choice is Cuisinart. It's the original and the best.

I've had a Cuisinart for forty years and use it at least twice per week. I've probably saved a couple of thousand hours.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Hummus requires either a food processor or many hours of labor. Mideastern women suffered from back problems caused by this before the advent of the food processor. Highest sales per capita are in the Mideast. My choice is Cuisinart. It's the original and the best.

I've had a Cuisinart for forty years and use it at least twice per week. I've probably saved a couple of thousand hours.
You can also use a blender for hummus

Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly my thinking. There was a time when I liked to cook. I was married, and although my husband wasn't the best husband, he was a great guinea pig.

But now, I'm long divorced, my only child is grown and gone, and it's just me in a small condo. I have a toaster and a microwave and a coffeemaker on the counter. Anything beyond that is a waste of time and space to me.

I have a friend my age who never married and lives alone, but her kitchen, which is bigger than mine, has no space at all on the counters. She has this big thing that's sort of a crockpot but you can fry in, a food processor, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, toaster oven, this, that, and the other thing, and it just makes me itch to stand there and look at all that clutter.
I don't cook much either, but one additional gadget I have is an air fryer. That thing is amazing! I use it pretty much every day

Old 06-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You can also use a blender for hummus
Yes, my daughter makes hers using the immersion blender. It doesn't take that long to blend a can of chick peas and whatever ingredients you add. Not sure why you would need a food processor.

I've never actually used a food processor, but isn't it really just sort of a fancier blender but it can chop and stuff?

Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,616 times
I hate the thought of having to clean one of those monsters. I was given a food processor and a blender when I got my first place but never used them so I gave them away. I have an immersion blender and a nutrabullet. That is all I need to make or grind anything.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Though I do use my food processor a lot and I am not a vegetarian, I do not see why your would need one. I do understand using a blender though. I don't think an emmersion blender works well enough for many dishes and drinks. I do use mine often, just not for everything that needs to be pureed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food