Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,550 times

Advertisements

I think why my family is so easy going is because they were young rebels at one time too, and didn't like family interference (they ran away to Illinois to get married). They both grew up on farms, where large gardens came into play. Plus, my maternal grandfather was an amature chef, and a lot of both my own and my mother's self-image comes from being able to cook well. My sister and I were raised on working a large garden (unfortunately, it has caused me to dislike green beans to this day). My father also raised a bull to be butchered once (named Bully--he was a very nice bull), and often raises chickens. I remember growing up with chickens--he would take orders from friends and family and then raise them. Then everyone would come over for "butchering day." I was always coddled a bit for being the youngest and never had to help--I got to sleep in, eat the left over doughnuts and watch cartoons with the volume turned up loud. My extended family are also big hunters, so I also grew up seeing dead deer hung up in the tree. All of this led me to be very concious of what meat is. But I also think this upbringing has given everyone in the family (extended) an appreciation for food and for people's food choices. When I tell them my main reason that stopped me from eating meat was from being squeamish knowing what it was and "seeing blood when I ate," they accept it. They know I have always been squeamish and such, and they recgonize my respect for my food. I think the people I grew up around would be much more accepting of a vegetarian with respect for animals then a meat-eater with no respect at all. Well, if it was because of PETA, I wouldn't be respected and my experience would probably be much different. People in rural farming or hunting areas don't like anything to do with PETA at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM

696 posts, read 1,432,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
People in rural farming or hunting areas don't like anything to do with PETA at all.
A lot of vegetarians (myself included) don't like PETA much either.

I have a lot of respect for hunters though, and small farmers like your family. They know the animals and they respect what they're eating. Too many people (whether omni or veg) don't know or care about the origin/lifecycle/transport/storage of the food they're eating, or about the labor/laborers involved in getting it to their plate.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

371 posts, read 1,261,596 times
I am still dumbfounded when people tell me how my kids would be healthier if I just fed them meat ..." they need meat". ummm...right. They're shocked that my kids like soy or rice milk and have never been in a McDonald's or Burger King.
To me they say...." oh, sorry, does this steak gross you out?" No...I chose not to eat meat. Not b/c it's gross, or that I hated the taste. It's cruel and I choose to have no part of it.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

696 posts, read 1,432,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
To me they say...." oh, sorry, does this steak gross you out?" No...I chose not to eat meat. Not b/c it's gross, or that I hated the taste. It's cruel and I choose to have no part of it.
It's a fair question, and some vegetarians would answer yes. Meat definitely grosses me out, and I do hate the taste/texture/smell/etc. For some people it's about animal cruelty, for others it's religion, for others it's about the environment, or finances, or personal health. And we might answer that question differently.

I think a lot of time people ask questions because they're trying to understand. Even if they don't ask in the most tactful way, they're asking. We can't on one hand criticize people for being closed-minded about meat-eating, and on the other hand criticize them for asking questions that we think ought to be no-brainers.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
They're shocked that my kids like soy or rice milk and have never been in a McDonald's or Burger King.
When I was around 20 y.o. (still a veg., but no kids), I had a friend at work who was a vegan and had a young child. One day, I heard some women at work discussing it and how "horrible" it was for the daughter because she couldn't have ice cream or other treats. Then they started discussing someone else who would let her children have fastfood. One day one her sons was with friends and had fastfood and got sick. The women at work thought that this was aweful on the part of the mother! If she would let her children have fastfood, then they wouldn't get sick. Excuse me?!!! Let your children eat horrible food so their bodies get use to it? It was the most backward thing I believe I have ever heard.

Of course, I was shy and didn't say anything (I was eavesdropping, anyhow).

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,673,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
A lot of vegetarians (myself included) don't like PETA much either.
Count me in, too! I hate it when people learn I'm a vegetarian and instantly assume I'm one of those "PETA fanatics." I think PETA does as much damage for the veg society as it purportedly does good for animals. A lot of times, they just seem to be more interested in shocking people, or promoting themselves. I mean, one of their campaigns was to get the Green Bay Packers to change their name, since they were named for their meat-packing sponsor OVER 80 YEARS AGO. Now, how in the world does something that stupid help an animal? All it does is make me want to hide my head in shame and tell people I'm not associated with these guys!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,869,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Count me in, too! I hate it when people learn I'm a vegetarian and instantly assume I'm one of those "PETA fanatics." I think PETA does as much damage for the veg society as it purportedly does good for animals. A lot of times, they just seem to be more interested in shocking people, or promoting themselves. I mean, one of their campaigns was to get the Green Bay Packers to change their name, since they were named for their meat-packing sponsor OVER 80 YEARS AGO. Now, how in the world does something that stupid help an animal? All it does is make me want to hide my head in shame and tell people I'm not associated with these guys!
Here! Here! Compassion for animals should include humans as well. There is no need to shock or browbeat people - it only makes them bitter toward you and those like you. Let them learn about going veg when they see how healthy and happy we are or when they smell our great recipes and ask for a bite. Example is much more powerful than words.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,920,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
...So while they can have their pick of food and eat a big, full meal, she can "have a salad" -- and that's supposed to be OK. As I told her, just imagine if they were having a pig roast and they told a Jewish person, "You can just eat a salad." The Jewish person would be rightfully outraged at the insensitivity. But because she's a vegetarian, it seems to be OK for them to say something like this...
As a Jew who hasn't eaten meat in 40 years, I've been invited to dinners and functions by non-Jews where the main dish was ham or pork, and side dishes contained some type of meat or broth and been offered a salad. I've been invited to dinner at Jewish homes where the main dishes and side dishes contained meat and been offered salads. After almost 40 years I've come to expect things like this to happen, although I find people nowadays much more understanding and accommodating than they were many years ago.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,113,490 times
I've heard all of these too but the main one people say to me, once I tell them that I am a vegetarian is...."What do you eat then???" They say it with a shocked look on their face or in their voice. I say "Everything except meat".

Last edited by Roma; 08-27-2008 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: spelling/add

Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM

113 posts, read 563,953 times
Oh! I've thought of some more!

1. Is it okay if I eat this (steak/chicken/fish) in front of you? -- Unless you're trying to shove it in my mouth, knock yourself out. While I don't like the looks of meat, and I really don't like the smell of it, I can appreciate the "to each their own" and nothing illuminates this better for me than my experience at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse last winter (before you set me aflame, we had a gift certificate from a well-meaning associate, and they DO have a veggie platter). While my partner tucked into a very expensive steak, I enjoyed my marinated mushrooms, sauteed broccoli and roasted tomatoes with baked potato very much, thank you. I also had a divine salad and many perfect glasses of wine beforehand. I was happy and he was happy, and though I wish he would eventually order the veggie platter along with me, I was pleased as punch when he took bites of my food and declared it nearly as delicious as his steak.

Also, only one of us had a stomachache later in the evening -- it sure wasn't me.

2. But you feed your cats and dog meat-based food -- why aren't they vegetarian, if you feel so strongly about it? -- This is hard for me. But in research that I've seen, I have yet to be convinced that my cats can be fed a healthy vegetarian diet. I love my animals more than anything, and want them to live a healthy life for as long as possible. To that end, I feed them Innova dry food (both cats and dog) and make sure to take them in for regular vet visits. I know there are dogs that can be fed vegetarian diets, and it's something that I've researched and toyed with, but haven't put the plans in place yet. My dog is a rescued dog with several gastrointestinal issues, and the Innova food really hasn't upset her stomach to date, so I am reluctant to switch. Do I fully love it? No. Do I fully love my babies? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food