Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
People think that if you eat chicken and fish and no red meat it means vegetarin. Since when did fish become a vegetable? I hate that!
So just gently correct them and say "If you eat fish but no other meat or poultry, then that is a pescetarian, not a vegetarian." :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,825 times
I understand the choice and I do accept it. What I don't really understand is, consuming animal products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs.

IMO, a true vegetarian should not eat any animal products.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Well, that would be a Vegan. I think many vegetarians think animal products that don't harm the animal are ok.

I am mostly Vegan, but I do struggle with cream in my coffee (can't seem to give either of them up!)

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
I understand the choice and I do accept it. What I don't really understand is, consuming animal products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:

From what I understand, that was the big debate in the 70s, and how we ended up with the two different catergories. That is a big question I get--what is the difference between vegetarian and vegan.

I would like to cut back my dairy for health reasons and partly environmental reasons. However, the way I see (for me), is that I don't want to eat animals or kill animals. However, things like milk and milk products, eggs, and honey can all be harvested without harming the animal. Now, obviously, it depends on where you get those items--cows and chickens are horribly mistreated on some "farms" and if you take too much honey, the bees won't have enough for the winter and die out.

I don't want to open up the vegan/vegetarian debate here (that is probably another thread), but I also can't help putting my two cents in!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:26 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Quote:

I eat eggs and milk and butter.

I don't like animals dieing at my hand, which s why I don't fish or hunt, and i think slaughterhouses are insanely cruel.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,825 times
I eat anything, I grew up on a farm and the meat was our regular meals.
But there were times such as Easter and Christmas when everybody kept lent.
During lent no animal products were consumed for 30-40 days, depend of how long the lent was.

This was a way to purify the body from all the toxins. It was good and not that hard to keep.

But I can't give up my bacon forever

As a good cook, I am very considerate and I like to know the facts when I'm inviting someone to dinner... to avoid all these "why's" it is easier to tell them what you eat or don't.
Salad doesn't compensate for a meal. There are so many easy dishes to make that could pass for a side dish for everyone.
Main think here, is to have happy guests.

Don't tell anyone that you are allergic unless it's a true fact. Allergies are a great concern and to put a cook through the struggle/scare is not nice at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
As a Jew who hasn't eaten meat in 40 years, I've been invited to dinners and functions by non-Jews where the main dish was ham or pork, and side dishes contained some type of meat or broth and been offered a salad. I've been invited to dinner at Jewish homes where the main dishes and side dishes contained meat and been offered salads. After almost 40 years I've come to expect things like this to happen, although I find people nowadays much more understanding and accommodating than they were many years ago.
Yes, the tide seems to be turning, thank goodness.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
From what I understand, that was the big debate in the 70s, and how we ended up with the two different catergories. That is a big question I get--what is the difference between vegetarian and vegan.
Yeah, I've had to explain that many times.

We've eliminated milk completely, and the only animal products we consciously (and sparingly) use are (non-animal-rennet organic) cheese and (cage-free organic) eggs. Sometimes we'll find honey or eggs or a dairy product in the ingredient list of something at the store, and we'll bend a little if it's something we really want. But that's it for us. One of our goals for next year is to become 100% vegan.

Last edited by Adrian71; 08-28-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Youy know, my cars get Wellness food and my dog gets Wellness. They aren't vegetarians, and frankly, it's not my place to make them one.
Right. We can make the choice, and they can't. I don't think it's fair to force the choice on them.

My cat and ferrets are carnivores ... there's no way around it. Cats especially need taurine in their diet. I know there's a vegetarian taurine alternative available now, but it's much easier to simply feed them naturally occurring taurine in meat-based cat food. The animals are eating it, not me, and knowing that they need it to be healthy, I don't have an ethical dilemma about it.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read that there are actually four or five groups similiar to vegetarians. The only thing I remember is the categories and a story about Jesus being vegetarian, but not vegan. Does anyone know what I'm referring to with the different groups?

Not vegan here~might be some day, but I honestly don't feel guilty eating my cheese or cottage cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food