Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,764,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Ooooh! Sounds good. Do you care to post that recipe (or send it via DM)?
I'd be happy to.

1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 heaping cups (peeled, 1/2-inch chunks) butternut squash
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
14- to 16-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. garam masala
15 1/2-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 to 4 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped

Directions

In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, squash, carrots, tomatoes and barely enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then add cumin and turmeric and simmer gently, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Add chickpeas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat another 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, put couscous into an ovenproof bowl and cover with 2 cups boiling water. Cover bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then fluff couscous with fork

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,764,676 times
Another of my favorites...

Chickpea Tandori

2 tsp. canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced uncooked potatoes
1 tsp. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
1 Tbs. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
16-oz. can diced tomatoes
16-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup water or tomato juice
1/2 of 10-oz. box frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, potatoes and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add curry powder and cumin and cook 1 minute, stirring.

Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a boil, stirring. Add water slowly and spinach.

Place cauliflower on top of stew. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender,. 10 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM

268 posts, read 1,616,021 times
Today spaghetti!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,459,553 times
I am making veggie chili, baking some potatoes and then spooning the chili on top of the baked potatoes. Yum.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,956,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Today: AWESOME BAKE!!!
Think lasagna -- swap the noodles for sliced eggplant -- and layered with garlic-infused marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, mozzerella cheese, zuchinni and fresh basil.
Soooooo gooooooodddd.
Can I have this recipe?? I have a ton of zucchini and eggplant to use up and this sounds great!! Thanks!!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,369,101 times
Hey guys--I'm from the "meat-eaters" side but welcome! I can so relate to your way of thinking just haven't got the "do it" yet! I am not into meat so much but hubby still is and probably will always be into it! But hey, hope this thread takes off like my thread did "what's for dinner"!! I don't see any reason it shouldn't! I'm by your side here!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,208,445 times
I made "empty the refrigerator" chili last night and it was so good. I needed to use up some carrots and celery that were getting on, and I haven't been to the store for over a month so this is one of the few things I could make.

My basic chili is "quick," made with canned goods. One can each pinto beans, dark red kidneys, chopped tomatoes, and the small can of tomato paste. One cup dry brown TVP chunks rehydrated (= 1 lb cubed "meat"). Two large stalks of celery, two carrots, one large onion, chopped. Chili powder, pepper, salt.

I didn't have an onion (said I had to go to the store ) so I used a tbsp minced onion. And I had a couple of cups leftover cooked brown rice so I dumped that in too. And that was magic. This is the best chili I've ever made. The rice combined so well, and adds texture and nice flavor. I'm going to add brown rice from now on. Only wish it didn't take so long to cook up front. I usually make my quick chili on the spur of the moment. Takes about 15 minutes to prepare (plus 1/2 hour simmer then short "rest").

Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,676 times
We had some great homemade ratatouille tonight, minus the green peppers (reaplaced with zuccini). Its one of my favorite veggie dishes.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,676 times
Our Ratatouille Recipe:

One medium eggplant, cubed (about 2 Cups)(salt it before cooking to remove the bitterness)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
Olive Oil - enough to saute the eggplant and garlic
One medium zucchini, cubed (about 2 Cups)
1 can white beans
1 Cup tomatoes, chopped (we try to use grape tomatoes and just chopped them in half)
Herbs or spices as you like - we use 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary

Saute the eggplant and garlic, in the olive oil, over medium heat. Once the eggplant is soft (not mushy), add the zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally until the zucchini is soft. Add the beans and the tomatoes and stir everything together. You may need to add a little extra water (I added about 1/4 Cup) to finish cooking the dish.

This makes 4 generous servings (totalling of 1400 calories and 48g of protein).

Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,930,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Hey guys--I'm from the "meat-eaters" side but welcome! I can so relate to your way of thinking just haven't got the "do it" yet! I am not into meat so much but hubby still is and probably will always be into it! But hey, hope this thread takes off like my thread did "what's for dinner"!! I don't see any reason it shouldn't! I'm by your side here!
Thanks! I for one have already gotten some great ideas.

Kele--thanks for posting the two recipes. I will be trying them soon!

Made a pumpkin quiche tonight. Very easy and good. I'm going to use the left over pumpkin in the morning for pumpkin muffins (my favorite!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food