Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

Homemade lentil burgers with noodles & corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Meatball subs (with Gimme Lean) and homemade coleslaw. I swear that if someone ate the meatballs and didn't know that I was a vegetarian, they would think it was the real thing.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Homemade lentil burgers with noodles & corn.
That sounds good! I just googled that recipe, thanks for the idea! (I tried to rep you, but CD wouldn't let me rep you again so soon.)

Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Bongo---was it corn on the cob? C on the C is getting very expensive here....

Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Bongo---was it corn on the cob? C on the C is getting very expensive here....
Nope, just canned corn.

Last night I made tofu burgers & googled a recipe. We live off-grid so I have a case of Mori-Nu boxed tofu that doesn't need refrigeration. I mashed up the tofu, adding a 1/4 cup each of cornmeal, whole wheat flour & oatmeal. Added some minced garlic & onion. Made patties & fried them up crispy. They were delicious. We were pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I like your recipes bongo! Thank you for sharing them.
Tonight I made eggplant pizza's. I liked this recipe because they were so fast and easy to make. I didn't "sweat" the eggplant this time like I usually do. I was worried they might turn out bitter, but they didn't. I also left the skins on, but next time I will peel the eggplant first.

The recipe called for lots of olive oil to be brushed on both sides of the EP. But I just sprayed the cookie sheet with Pam, cut the EP into 1/2" slices, put them on the cookie sheet and then sprayed them lightly with Pam. I also don't cook with salt at all, but I did pepper them.

Bake those @ 425 for about 8 min's. Then flip them over with tongs and bake them again for another 8 min's. While those are baking I lightly sautéed a good handful of fresh chopped onions, red and green bell peppers, a chopped garlic clove, parsley and tomatoes. A generous dash of Italian seasonings and oregano makes it real nice.

When the EP is done take those out and spoon a little spaghetti sauce on each one, spoon on your sautéed veggies, top it all off with either "vegan cheese" or real mozzarella cheese then bake it again for a couple of min's until the cheese melts. One EP filled up my entire cookie sheet, so IMO it was enough for about 3 or 4 people to eat. I also served a big fresh garden salad, cooked green beans and a fruit salad for dessert. We were stuffed. I liked this one a lot, so I'll be making it again.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Great recipe, Pierce. What do you mean by "sweat" the eggplant!!??

Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Great recipe, Pierce. What do you mean by "sweat" the eggplant!!??
You're supposed to "sweat" the EP by putting salt on both sides of the slices and laying them on a plate in loose layers. Let that sit for about 30 min's and you'll see lots of brown water pooled at the bottom of the plate. Dump that icky water out. Then you rinse off all of the salt and pat dry each slice with paper towels. It pulls out the bitterness and moisture.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Tonight is pasta with red pepper pesto (red peppers get grilled, then processed into a paste) with garlic, olive oil, and walnuts. Will put some sauteed yellow squash into it. And a salad.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
It's cold and rainy.

I made a pureed cauliflower-parsnip soup and homemade buttermilk biscuits. A bit too "white" and too bland, but I was tired . Made a nice green salad to add some color to the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food