Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,313,555 times

Advertisements

Thanks again bongo, for all your info .. also the correct spelling for posole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
I made an easy Indian lentil dish, fast and tasty.

I'm lazy and food has to be very easy to make:

cooked lentils (I buy cans in France and drain them, I'm lazy and my lentils are never perfect, these are)
veggie ghee
onion
can/jar/fresh tomatoes
fresh coriander (cilantro)
garam masala
cumin

Everything to personal taste.
Heat it all up and it's great.
If you like it creamy, and I do, add some greek youghurt, or drain regular youghurt and add.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,123,345 times
A quick stir-fry at our house tonight.

Leeks, celery, carrots, yellow bell pepper, broccoli (basically, whatever I had in the fridge) and canned water chestnuts. Stir-fried in peanut oil. sesame oil, mirin and a bit of rice vinegar. I then added a bit of a paste I had mashed up in the pestle: cilantro, garlic, lime, ginger. Plus a dash of tamari and some sambal oelek (sriracha would work too).

After tossing the veggies in a bowl, I stir fried some tofu (frozen, then thawed, then drained and pressed) in peanut oil and tamari. Set that aside and did a quick swirl of some pre-soaked rice noodles in the left-over oil.

Piled everything together (noodles, then veggies, then tofu) in a bowl, served with tamari, sambal and cilantro on the side for those who wanted add-ons.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Sounds wonderful!
I never considered using more than one oil, but the combo of peanut & sesame oil and mirin sounds great.
I add a lot of vinegar to things. There's a Korean vinegar with onion and pepper that's just grand.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
I weeded my garden and put together this dish using dandelion greens. Glad I didn't through them out, they were so tasty!

I cleaned and washed the dandelion greens. Simmered them along with a thinly sliced leek.
Added two packaged of extra firm tofu, cubed
one minced garlic clove
one head of escarole
Served with Yukon gold potatoes roasted with olive oil, fresh parsley and dill.
Really good!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Sounds good, Sheena. When I was young, my friend's mother made dandelion greens. It was always a treat.

I bought some cheap eggplants recently and before they went bad, I decided to use them up in a new (to me) attempt at a low/no carb meal that turned out surprisingly delicious.

I used a dry heated cast iron skillet (one of my favorite tools in the kitchen)

I sliced eggplant into 1/2" thick rounds
Laid in single layer on low heat, covered (about 10-15 minutes each side).
When just about done on the second side...
I placed a small amount of pesto on the top, covered by a thin slice of goat's cheese...
Let the cheese and pesto melt in the covered skillet.

I added a thin slice of tomato and piece of onion that I lightly fried earlier in the day.

Scrumptuous.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:52 PM

323 posts, read 529,632 times
Vegan bbq ribs, potatoe salad , liberation salad(can drained/washed black beans, corn, tomatoes, spices, red onion) raw carrots

Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I weeded my garden and put together this dish using dandelion greens. Glad I didn't through them out, they were so tasty!

I cleaned and washed the dandelion greens. Simmered them along with a thinly sliced leek.
Added two packaged of extra firm tofu, cubed
one minced garlic clove
one head of escarole
Served with Yukon gold potatoes roasted with olive oil, fresh parsley and dill.
Really good!
Your awesome post made me wonder how many on the veggie forum "forage" for food.

I'll start another thread...

Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sounds good, Sheena. When I was young, my friend's mother made dandelion greens. It was always a treat.

I bought some cheap eggplants recently and before they went bad, I decided to use them up in a new (to me) attempt at a low/no carb meal that turned out surprisingly delicious.

I used a dry heated cast iron skillet (one of my favorite tools in the kitchen)

I sliced eggplant into 1/2" thick rounds
Laid in single layer on low heat, covered (about 10-15 minutes each side).
When just about done on the second side...
I placed a small amount of pesto on the top, covered by a thin slice of goat's cheese...
Let the cheese and pesto melt in the covered skillet.

I added a thin slice of tomato and piece of onion that I lightly fried earlier in the day.

Scrumptuous.
Made me hungry again, darn you!

LOVE eggplant.

Tonight, after a loooong day in the car, I just did a quickie noodle stir fry (leeks, garlic, ginger w/ soba ). I tossed in sesame seeds for crunch.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,231,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerZombie View Post
Curry would have been awesome if I had bought better curry paste (Thai Kitchen isn't great).

But tonight I'm going to have veggie chicken breasts with random spices (my wife picks em) with pasta sauce and mozzerlla cheese on top, all baked.
I wish I could find something better too. I don't like Thai Kitchen but usually that's all the supermarkets have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food