Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times

Advertisements

Tonight slices of tofu fried in olive oil, baked potato, steamed broccoli & a tossed vegetable salad with mixed greens, grated carrots, onions, peppers, tomato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,432,311 times
Vegan potatoes au gratin and salad.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Vegan potatoes au gratin and salad.

Yum! How do you make your vegan potatoes au gratin? With soy milk & soy cheese?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Yum! How do you make your vegan potatoes au gratin? With soy milk & soy cheese?
I use rice milk, flour, white pepper, sea salt, garlic and nutritional yeast for the cheesy flavor. And, of course, local Idaho potatoes. I know a lot of people don't like nutritional yeast, but I'm addicted. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today .

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I use rice milk, flour, white pepper, sea salt, garlic and nutritional yeast for the cheesy flavor. And, of course, local Idaho potatoes. I know a lot of people don't like nutritional yeast, but I'm addicted. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today .
I'm addicted to nutritional yeast too!! I love it! I eat it on toast & on popcorn all the time. I just finished a big bowl of popcorn with yeast a little while ago as a matter of fact. I'll have to try your nutritional cheesy recipe. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Grilled tofukey keibasa on rolls
sauerkraut, pickles
tossed green salad
homemade Vegan macaroni salad made with veganaise
I use my mom's 1960s recipe that calls for diced red and green sweet peppers, diced celery and carrots, diced red onions and sliced black olives.
Instead of Hellmans may I make the dressing with veganaise, salt pepper to taste mixed with cidar vinegar and Florida crystals - or agave or the sweetener of your choice.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,844,101 times
I spent the last week at a recertification class, held at a local university. We ate in the school cafeteria which was, to my surprise, very nice with a good selection of food -- including a daily vegan option.

Yesterday's lunch was a wrap -- white rice, black beans, and assorted diced vegetables (carrots, shallots, tomatoes, etc.), all lightly sauteed and rolled into an oversized flour tortilla.

Simple and delicious -- Yum!

I enjoyed it so much that I picked up what I didn't already have on hand, and will be making it for dinner this weekend (will substitute brown rice for the white, though),

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM

I got this idea from a recipe on the recipe forum thanks to Amber via Cyn.

I altered it to make it vegan.

Baked Chimichangas
Whole wheat tortillas stuffed with drained beans, chopped onions & garlic. Folded. Baked at 425 on a greased baking sheet. 10 minutes, then turn, then 10 more minutes.

Served with salsa. Crispy! Yum!!

Next time I'll add fresh cilantro & make a green chile sauce.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
i've been making a conscientious effort to use up the vegetables in my csa. it's fun to have to figure out things to do with vegetables i don't usually use, especially in the summer when i'm not as inclined to cook or eat much of anything besides salads.

tonight i made indian cabbage, tomato & lentil stew, aloo gobi, and rice. it was delicious but way too much cooking for the weather.

yesterday i made tomato & cucumber salad with red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic & fresh basil from the garden, lemon pepper chard (some from the csa, some from the garden) with roasted red peppers, and cold peanut noodles. very summery.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Quinoa, cooked in veggie broth, mixed with diced tomatoes, green chilies and black beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food