Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,724,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Anyone who is a "fan" of PETA needs to do a Google search for two words... "PETA Kills" The truth is out there via their OWN documents. They do not re-home or re-locate the majority of the animals that they "save" or "liberate"...They kill them. Stop listening to the hype and do your own research.
This is exactly why I stopped wanting to have anything to do with Peta. When I did the research and found this out I was sickened!

Just for the record, I'm a vegan who won't wear fur or leather, but I'll never tell someone else what they can or can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,402,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I just moved back to the US from a very cold country. I have fur hats, mittens, mufflers, and boots. Love them them all.

If those rockheads at PETA ever spent much time north of LA they would understand that fur is the best insulation against cold and snow and wind. I'll wear my mink hat and mittens with pride and they can kiss my grits. Ummm warm, toasty, dry hands and feet.

Stop telling me what I can and can't do, where I can't do it, what I can't wear, where I can't smoke, and what I shouldn't eat. I can't hear you.....
The problem with fur though, is that a LIVING creature, that feels pain, has to be anally electricuted, and sometimes skinned alive, so you can wear their fur.
That's not something I would want on my conscience, it's a cruel, not to mention evil pracitce, but it's amazing how many people just don't care.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:45 AM

947 posts, read 3,413,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
The problem with fur though, is that a LIVING creature, that feels pain, has to be anally electricuted, and sometimes skinned alive, so you can wear their fur.
That's not something I would want on my conscience, it's a cruel, not to mention evil pracitce, but it's amazing how many people just don't care.

Grrrr, Yes how horrible is that. Wearing their skin, Disconnecting our self with the process of how we have come to wear this fur.
If You had to do it to wear it, I bet a lot of people would not want to anal electrocute animals. It's a bloody horror no matter what it is explaining the facts.

As far as PETA, I always thought that they were out there, and then I researched them again, yeah not into that Organization.

How about HSUS, Humane Society of the U.S. or ASPCA.
What is your favorite organization if not PETA?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM

830 posts, read 2,716,926 times
I don't like PETA, but not because they're too extreme. I think protests and whatnot are fine (and I'm not even vegan). Breastmilk Ben and Jerry's makes a really good point, and it's humorous to boot. And it's hilarious, actually, that so many people still don't "get" that point and find the idea offensive. My problem with them is they're not progressive enough in that they don't defend feral cats. They've historically promoted cruelty towards them, actually. Kill the poor suffering creatures "to be kind". They're not poor and suffering, it isn't kind, and it isn't effective either. If they feel that way about one animal, I don't trust their intentions with any other.

The Humane Society of the United States is far more even-tempered.

They're even worse. They've had the same policies about feral cats AND they are the ones who hugely influence the animal shelters in our country who treat animals in an abominable manner. In effect, they kill more dogs and cats than any one else (at least purposeful killing). Fairly recently they've tried to change their tune about the feral cats slightly but they're still nowhere near where they should be.

I may be a tree-hugging vegetarian to some, they usually assume I'm all about PETA and HSUS, but both PETA's and HSUS's requests for money go in the trash (recycling bin!). They do some good for some animals, but no one will get my money with outdated and ineffective policies about feral cats.

Last edited by bigcats; 01-06-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,690,869 times
It would be great if PETA and all other animal organizations supported Trap Neuter Release for feral cats.

While fights, wild dogs and cars are a danger. These cats are savy and can survive and can be happy.

One of our three was feral - man she looooves it inside. Took awhile to get used to us and the home, but she showed enough interest when we found each other in a parking lot that we did take her home.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 AM

117 posts, read 335,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
I love PETA. I also love when people ask me about them when I say I'm a vegetarian. Some may say they're radical or overbearing, but that's what's needed to really get things done and changed. So many horrific suffering going on, I'm glad there's folks so dedicated to stopping it. I suppose if you are vegetarian with no thought to how it effects animals, then PETA is of no concern. But for me, it's one more way to respect all living things.
I agree with *this* position, and not to engage in ad hominum attacks, I always wonder (in a general sense, not picking on anyone in particular), WHY people are so upset by PETA? What are the psychological underpinnings of this anger towards PETA, even by vegetarians or vegans?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,489,309 times
I'm really not upset by Peta and like-minded organizations at all. While I agree with their message, I disagree with a lot of their tactics.

Some people act out for the publicity factor, not living what they are preaching. These people often attach themselves to a movement or someone with a big mouth they can hide behind; the are the cheering section, if you will. Those are the kinds of people I do not want to be associated with - the ones who can't think for themselves. And that especially goes for people who are vociferously anti-vegan/vegetarian, for the sake of it.

PETA certainly has its place, and has done an incredible job in raising awareness. But as to your questions? I don't have the answers, and have asked those questions myself. I am curious if anyone knows. What are your feelings about it?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM

18,360 posts, read 26,556,584 times
PETA's latest idea: rename fish "sea kittens." PETA's campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens' | The Australian

Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,690,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I'm really not upset by Peta and like-minded organizations at all. While I agree with their message, I disagree with a lot of their tactics.

Some people act out for the publicity factor, not living what they are preaching. These people often attach themselves to a movement or someone with a big mouth they can hide behind; the are the cheering section, if you will. Those are the kinds of people I do not want to be associated with - the ones who can't think for themselves. And that especially goes for people who are vociferously anti-vegan/vegetarian, for the sake of it.

PETA certainly has its place, and has done an incredible job in raising awareness. But as to your questions? I don't have the answers, and have asked those questions myself. I am curious if anyone knows. What are your feelings about it?

PETA DID put out a statement that they will associate with celebrities who can stand by at least one message - for instance, a celebrity who is against fur but eats meat or a celebrity who is against animal testing but wears leather.

There are ways to love animals and there are also "entry causes" that lead to supporting other causes.

I stared at 12 not eating meat. At 13, not eating fish or wearing leather.

Now at 27, there is a whole lifestyle I support.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM

117 posts, read 335,098 times
One theory why some people are so outraged by PETA might be that these people sense, subconsciously, that if PETA's viewpoint wins out, the culture of the world will be changed very radically and substantially, and they are fearful of that.

I went head to head with a hunter in the "Cat" forum, who believes that it's "humane" to shoot his ill pets with a small guage weapon, versus taking them to the vet to be put down. I didn't agree with that; I feel that it is a horrible betrayal of a little creature that probably loves you.

I said in that thread that I felt that hunting and eating meat will go the way of human sacrifice, cannibalism and infibulation, the later of which is still practiced in some parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food