Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,484,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
PETA DID put out a statement that they will associate with celebrities who can stand by at least one message - for instance, a celebrity who is against fur but eats meat or a celebrity who is against animal testing but wears leather.

There are ways to love animals and there are also "entry causes" that lead to supporting other causes.

...there is a whole lifestyle I support.
cr, I absolutely agree with you and believe that understanding and knowledge do not come in great flashes of light, but bit by bit. Which I believe is why PETA supports celebrities who stand by at least one message: anti-vivisection in all its forms, etc.

Sorry if my post was a little too 'cloudy'. I meant that there are those who will jump on the anti-anything bandwagon, especially when it is something like veganism, because they have a lot of people cheering them on. Those are the people who need an audience to function, and a large group of people to convince them that they are correct in their beliefs. They are the mouth-pieces of the dairy and meat industry, hunt-and-kill captive animals shows, etc. And, rather than a civil discussion, those people resort to ridicule, sarcasm and the mentioned 'pack' mentality.

I'm not calling out individuals be they celebrities or not, but I think you catch my drift. Clear as mud?

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 01-11-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,688,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I meant that there are those who will jump on the anti-anything bandwagon, especially when it is something like veganism, because they have a lot of people cheering them on. Those are the people who need an audience to function, and a large group of people to convince them that they are correct in their beliefs. They are the mouth-pieces of the dairy and meat industry, hunt-and-kill captive animals shows, etc. And, rather than a civil discussion, those people resort to ridicule, sarcasm and the mentioned 'pack' mentality.
Right, may be a bit off topic, but I find that a civil discussion is hard when people correlate what we think is cruel with their own happiness.

For instance, eating corn dogs while at the rodeo, hunting with dad, making meatballs with mom...

I read a while back in some book - do not remember which one - that when the author decided to become vegetarian, after a struggle deciding upon that lifestyle, she spent that evening in bed thinking of all the things she would not experience again. Thought of everything she was giving up - chicken and cheese nachos washed down with beer, a roast on Christmas - ya know? People get defensive so easily when the idea of cruelty is raised - that their traditions are considered "wrong" by some.

I think some people get on the anti vegan and vegetarian bandwagon because they don't "want to know". Some people are just not interested in learning about something that may cause a stir in their lives.

PETA puts that information right out there.

It is kind of along the same lines as when information about "blood diamonds" came out or information about tanning beds, people don't want to know...

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
One theory why some people are so outraged by PETA might be that these people sense, subconsciously, that if PETA's viewpoint wins out, the culture of the world will be changed very radically and substantially, and they are fearful of that.

I went head to head with a hunter in the "Cat" forum, who believes that it's "humane" to shoot his ill pets with a small guage weapon, versus taking them to the vet to be put down. I didn't agree with that; I feel that it is a horrible betrayal of a little creature that probably loves you.

I said in that thread that I felt that hunting and eating meat will go the way of human sacrifice, cannibalism and infibulation, the later of which is still practiced in some parts of the world.
With regards to your debate in the Cat forum, I believe that the problem with routinely killing your own pets, is that it becomes acceptable when it's inconvenient to keep them. And, of course, it becomes easier as time goes on, and lines get blurred. I think it can be extremely disrespectful of the animal's life.

Whether the other part of your post comes to pass, I don't know, but I'm not holding my breath. I will read that thread, sounds interesting.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,573,865 times
Many of you are missing a key factor in people's feelings towards vegans and PETA in general. Some vegans and members of PETA behave towards others the way evangelical christian missionaries behave in trying to convert people to their religion. I'm not saying vegan and PETA are a religion but some do seem to go out of their way to try to convert those around them into not eating meat. It's about personal choice.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Many of you are missing a key factor in people's feelings towards vegans and PETA in general. Some vegans and members of PETA behave towards others the way evangelical christian missionaries behave in trying to convert people to their religion. I'm not saying vegan and PETA are a religion but some do seem to go out of their way to try to convert those around them into not eating meat. It's about personal choice.
Exactly! But people tend to focus on negative and evangelical aspects of a particular group, be it hunters, meat-eaters, vegans or religious nuts.

I think one's using extremism in any way of life or belief system as a reason for disliking that group is an easy-out. Seems to me that people who do that are trying to rationalize their own points of view. Most people are not extremists. It's they who get the publicity, though.

I haven't noticed anyone on this forum trying to go out of their way to convert anyone into not eating meat. For one, I haven't seen any regular posters go on the meat subforum and make snide comments about folks putting in meat in their recipes. Nor have I personally gone onto the forum where people are talk about guns and hunting, and deliberately tried to cause a ruckus.

Many of my friends hunt and I still think they are good people, better than most. Never once have any of them ridiculed what I believe (aside from silly jokes), but they surely don't understand it. I will never convince them to quit hunting and eating meat, and they will never convince me that they "need" to do it. There we are.

So, I think the issue is more than personal choice, it is also about respecting other people. Wouldn't it be nice to just leave it at that?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 PM

I completely agree with your last post, cr1039. Well and simply put.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM

25 posts, read 62,264 times
Default Does anyone else hate PETA?

I think PETA waste too much time money and energy on animal rights. I believe people forget that animals are NOT human beings. I would rather see them spend their time, energy and money on protecting our children. Child protected services would love for them to come to the office and protest for the children who are being abused and cannot speak for themselves. Besides myself, I would love to see all the animal activist companys fight just as hard for our children who are the future of our country not scrappy the poodle. Why don't they go to the court house and lay down or attack the men who molest our children and fight to make sure they spend the rest of their lifes in jail. I said all that to say we as Americans really need to get our priorities in order and realize that our children is our furture.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM

719 posts, read 2,668,696 times
PETA is a hate group IMHO.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,688,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelmit View Post
I think PETA waste too much time money and energy on animal rights. I believe people forget that animals are NOT human beings. I would rather see them spend their time, energy and money on protecting our children. Child protected services would love for them to come to the office and protest for the children who are being abused and cannot speak for themselves. Besides myself, I would love to see all the animal activist companys fight just as hard for our children who are the future of our country not scrappy the poodle. Why don't they go to the court house and lay down or attack the men who molest our children and fight to make sure they spend the rest of their lifes in jail. I said all that to say we as Americans really need to get our priorities in order and realize that our children is our furture.
Sigh, it is a misconception that people who care about animals do not care about people.

Nobody is saying that cats and dogs should be voting or have the right to send their puppies to private school. The issue is food, shelter, water and love or companionship. Animals should not have to live in disgustin conditions and they should not be hurt, abused or be forced to "work".

People however do have freewill. People can extend their education, choose jobs with healthcare, live in safe places and find love. That does not mean that people who are in bad situtations deserve it - but people do have freewill.

People who are involved with PETA are not taking ANYTHING away from abused children.

There are plenty of protests and checks to go around.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 AM

25 posts, read 62,264 times
Default Peta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Sigh, it is a misconception that people who care about animals do not care about people.

Nobody is saying that cats and dogs should be voting or have the right to send their puppies to private school. The issue is food, shelter, water and love or companionship. Animals should not have to live in disgustin conditions and they should not be hurt, abused or be forced to "work".

People however do have freewill. People can extend their education, choose jobs with healthcare, live in safe places and find love. That does not mean that people who are in bad situtations deserve it - but people do have freewill.

People who are involved with PETA are not taking ANYTHING away from abused children.

There are plenty of protests and checks to go around.
You are right animals should not be forced to work, hurt or abused. They need love, food, shelter and companionship but so does our children around the world. They are being forced to work at the mere age of 4yrs old. Children do not have freewill. Many do not have anyone to defend or speak for them. So you comment is still not convincing PETA is a bunch of loosers with nothing else to do. They need to get their priorities together and focus on the important things such as human life. Animals are nice but they are not our future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food