Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times

Advertisements

Since breakfast is my favorite meal I look forward to it every morning. Here's my breakfast of choice (maybe not 100% vegetarian, but close enuf for me):

Egg White Omlet with chopped scallions and garlic, flavored with tumeric, paprika, sea salt & black pepper. Sometimes I throw in some fresh spinach or any other leftover veggie.

Coffe with Chocolate Almond Breeze.

2 slices of local bakery whole grain bread with flaxseed oil on it and some organic blueberry jam.

SO.... what's your favorite breakfast ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
It's oatmeal time again! We eat oatmeal (homemade, not instant--can't stand it anymore) from fall through winter. Then we are so gorged from it that we switch to toast or eggs. I should switch it up a little this year, though, and make some other hot grains as well.

I started eating museli this summer (not soaked, though) and love it! I am a sucker for granola, but it is so expensive and sugary. This was a great replacement for me. I go oats, a little cinnamon, dates, currants, sunflower seeds, and usually pecans, sometimes walnuts and/or slivered almonds. Top it off with a little agave nectar and milk--yum! My husband thinks it is totally weird, though.

mmmm....I think I am off to have some right now!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Warm weather:
A bowl of Post Trail Mix cereal (12 grams of protein) with light soy milk (6 grams protein) plus a banana or apple.

Cooler weather:
Oatmeal and a banana or apple.

Coffee with soy milk

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Sunday, January 11, 2009

Today's Breakfast; Vegan Migas and Hashbrowns

The migas were inspired by this recipe I found online, thanks!

1/2 pound tofu
good handful of spinach
3-4 mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion
oil
1 garlic clove
soy sauce
nutritional yeast
a handful of corn chips
salt/pepper

Take block of tofu and simple crumble into a bowl using your hands.

Drizzle a bit of soy sauce on the tofu crumbles and toss with a bit of nutritional yeast. Add to heated and slightly oiled pan. Halfway through cooking, add a bit of minced garlic and remember to turn often - cook until "done" - nice and brown.

In a different oiled pan, add a good handful of fresh chopped spinach, chopped mushrooms and sliced onion. Cook until done and then add to the pan with the tofu - mix.

Here is an easy way to avoid making your own corn tortilla strips - just use a handful from a bag of corn tortilla chips. I try to keep these in the house because the chips go so well with refried beans - a great dinner or football snack.

So anyway, add the crushed chips to the same bowl you cooked the spinach etc. in - allow to heat and brown a bit - add to migas, salt and pepper - mix around and serve!

Hubby liked it even though he is not the biggest spinach fan. I will make this with red peppers next time!

Grill Pressed Hashbrowns

3 medium potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
salt/fresh ground pepper
oil

Cube potatoes - small! Boil in water for just a bit.

Drain. Chop onion.

Add potatoes in a nice layer to the oiled and hot pan. Add onions on top. Salt and pepper. Cover for the first 10 minutes or so. Uncover and flip potatoes and onion around.

Use a grill press or push down with a spatula!

Flip around!

Grill press again and again...

Cook until done! These are so good! They have a nice crunch on the outside and are nice and soft on the inside.

I served breakfast today with toasted pita bread - a nice compliment to the above dishes. With some added fruit, I would say this can feed 3 or 4. We had left over migas between the 2 of us.

Enjoy!
Posted by Urban, Yuppy, Hippy at Sunday, January 11, 2009 0 comments Links to this post
Labels: recipes

Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I woke up around 1PM and had scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese on toast and black coffee. The eggs were $1.49 a dozen the other day.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Lately, since I'm out of pomegaranate seeds and cannot make Supreme Shredded Wheat, I've been fixing the Semi-Supreme version:

2 small or 1 large navel orange, peeled and chopped
1 lg biscuit Shredded Wheat
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
lots and lots of cinnamon

Crumble the biscuit into everything else. Stir and eat.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Scrambled tofu...

Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 AM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
1 Gabila's spinach knish and 1 broccoli knish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food