Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,449 times

Advertisements

If you are making the dinner, you could go totally non-traditional. Just make the meal special with some great dishes you wouldn't make daily. One friend use to make pumpkin ravioli, which sounds yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM

184 posts, read 677,630 times
I'm really into the southern thanksgiving....
--collard greens or mustard greens (cooked low & long in veggie broth with a lil pepper sauce)
--fried okra-not so healthy but awesome
--vegan mac-n"cheese" casserole - nutritional yeast style,a little white miso & tomato paste make an amazing "cheese" sauce
--green bean, squash, or broccoli casserole(tofutti &/or tofu sour cream help make this delicious)
--cornbread stuffing
--smashed sweet potatos with white(flour pepper) gravy
--field peas(hard to come by up north though) I like to add sliced up tofurky to this for that southern meat in the veg look/taste
--Peanut butter tofu goes awesome with all of this - just cook cubed pre sauteed tofu in soy sauce & peanut butter(sounds crazy but tastes awesome)

Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM

275 posts, read 688,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I agree, you dont really need a "center". Have fun making many "side" dishes! For Rosh Hashana last week I made whole wheat couscous with sauteed mushrooms and celery, mashed potatoes, biscuits, black beans with peppers and onions, roasted carrots with raisins and brown sugar and grean beans. It was delish and very "fall" ish.
damn i would want one of the right now

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM

268 posts, read 1,616,094 times
The Tofurkey ain't bad and easy to make.
The Unturkey was the bomb till Now & Zen went bye-bye. There's Web site dedicated to making your own Unturkey.

The UnTurkey is gone and whoever is responsible will pay!

This year, I will be riding the vegan gravy train to TofurkeyTown.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,926 times
We're heading over to Alberobello to stay in a Trullo house and eat great veggie antipasti and such. Can't find Tofurky over here so this will have to do.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,482,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
We always have lentil loaf, veggie gravy, mashed potatoes, etc. I love it and it has all the traditional flavors of Thanksgiving. I think there is another, older thread about this, if you want to search.
What is in a lentil loaf? Sounds good.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What is in a lentil loaf? Sounds good.
My recipe, off the top of my head (I haven't made it for a few months), is a combination of cooked lentils (until they are mushy), chopped mushrooms, fresh breadcrumbs, parsley, shredded cheddar cheese, and a couple eggs and a little lemon juice to bind it (along with s&p and some other spices, probably). Obviously, I either forgot about the eggs and cheese or totally didn't read the thread title correctly at the time of my first post.

I really love it. My husband is okay with it. It has a tendency to be dry, so you need to make sure the lentils are nice and wet, or add in a little veggie broth. I have another recipe that is the same idea, but baked in ramikins (I used a muffin pan), but it pureed most of the ingredients before baking. They turned out really moist. If you are interested in either recipe, let me know and I will try to find them and DM you.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,452 times
Oookay, stop the presses, I made a great vegan green bean casserole tonight.

Farmers market green beans, chopped and boiled in water for just a few minutes.

Farmers market onions tossed in flour and cooked on an oiled baking sheet.

Mushrooms sauteed in vegan margarine, whisk in flour, then soy milk.

Mix in the green beans.

Toss all together and add on the crispy onions - into the oven and it is delish!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,853,351 times
I really like the vegan field roast from Whole Foods Market.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,138,631 times
Our family is vegetarian, not vegan,so you will see some dairy products on my list. Still, for those looking for ideas....

I do sort of a riff on traditional Thanksgiving flavors and ingredients, but mix it up.

We start with Pumpkin (or butternut squash) Soup. Mostly because I hate pumpkin pie.

I toss a big salad. I try to make it something special. Last year it was a blue cheese/walnut/apple salad. This year I am researching some baked pear recipes.

The "star" of the table is my Potato Leek Pie. Mine is not vegan as I sautee the leeks in butter (and Champagne!) and toss in some sharp cheddar cheese.

Sides include basic green beans (blanched and refreshed, tossed with olive oil, sea salt and toasted slivered almonds) and homemade cranberry sauce (I just love to watch those little berries pop ).

My daughter usually does dessert, just because that is her thing. Last year she made an apple/pear crumble, served with ice cream.

We finish off that bottle of bubbly with dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food