Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Animal Rights or Diet
Animal Rights 13 35.14%
Diet 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,627,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I am clearly, clearly not talking about your farm or your daily actions. I am sure that you don't have issues with immigration, abuse, the EPA, the FDA and others. I am pretty sure you don't slaughter for local public schools, jail systems, KFC or Tyson right? Clearly, I am not talking about you and have not referenced you whatsoever in the mentioned post. Small family farms have no need for lagoons and dont have the above mentioned issues. Seriously...

Hurricane Floyd dumps massive waste into Neuse River
cbs13.com - Feds To Investigate California Slaughterhouse (http://cbs13.com/local/usda.california.slaughterhouse.2.641733.html - broken link)
www.kansascity.com | 11/05/2008 | Kosher Iowa meatpacker seeks bankruptcy protection (http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/876783.html - broken link)
5/31/96: PA SOUTH DAKOTA SLAUGHTERHOUSE COMPANY FINED $2 MILLION
I am a "factory farmer", I have cafo's and raise a large amount of corn, wheat, and milo. I have had issues w/immigration, abuse, EPA, KDHE, and the FDA. Most of the grain raised goes to feed animals, a portion goes to feed humans. I have waste lagoons w/monitoring wells. 10% of our employees get sick on a monthly basis, usually the day after payday. They are also the only ones who smoke, fwiw.

Most people, like you I assume, have not worked or have ever been to a large hog lot or feedlot. They just take what the media puts out as the whole truth, it's not(not for this region anyway). They take the 1% of people that do wrong and apply it to the whole group. I know that it is hard to know what to believe if you've never been "there". No different than some of the things I've read/heard about vegans/vegetarians. I've listened to what you all have said on the veg forum and realize that it is not all true, or not the whole truth. If I posted some of those links, you would hunt me down.

As far as health, my kids and myself have lived on a farm w/livestock our entire lives, no health problems at all.(knock on wood) My wifes sister and her family have lived in the city their entire lives and they all have a list of problems, allergies/asthma/flu/etc.

I guess you could say that big or small farmers/ranchers are like "people", some are good......some are bad.

Still post'n w/a smile.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,517,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I guess you could say that big or small farmers/ranchers are like "people", some are good......some are bad.

Still post'n w/a smile.
Oh, but where's the fun in that? You can't demonize them if you say that!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,863,950 times
Greetings from your friendly neighborhood Moderator. This thread veered waaaaaaay off-topic back on page one. As a reminder, the topic is "IF you were to become vegetarian ....."

Since no one seems to have an interest in answering that poll question, there's no need to keep the thread open any longer.

Thanks, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food