Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,133,571 times

Advertisements

Like so many others have said, it depends on the specifics of your diet. Losing weight is a matter of putting your body in a caloric deficit. In other words, eat less and move more. However, I'm all for one more vegan in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,022,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Of COURSE it helps you lose weight. Meat and dairy are the two best sources of fat in anyone's diet.
Meat and dairy wont make you gain weight as we now know - as long as you don't consume carbs. Carbs raise your insulin level and that's where the weight goes on. Insulin signals the body to store fat. Fat and meat don't raise insulin levels much or at all. These things have been known for years now. It's carbs/sugar/starches that pack on the pounds as the Atkins diet proved. When animals are fattened for slaughter they are not fed fat and meat, they're fed carbs, mostly in the form of corn.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,022,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post

....My boyfriend, although not vegan, but Vegetarian, eats a Ton of bread... hardly Ever any veggies... he has gained actually Alot of weight. but he also drinks diet soda, ahh this is another story...
Both my SD and her husband went vegetarian about 6 years ago. They don't eat junk food. Both are slightly overweight. They could probably lose 20 to 25 lbs each to be ideal weight. When you remove meat and fat from the diet it has to be made up with carbs as there is nothing else left but greens and things like cucumbers. So far they have no problems with their BG levels but some people do when high-carbing (vegan/vegetarianism). My husband and I have cut back on meat and will continue to do so but have not lost any weight.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
When you remove meat and fat from the diet it has to be made up with carbs as there is nothing else left but greens and things like cucumbers.
Now that's just silly.

I eat protein and fats and healthy carbohydrates. I am healthy and on the low end of normal weight. If I started eating white pasta and bread and the like regularly and consumed too many calories overall, that would change quickly.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Now that's just silly.

I eat protein and fats and healthy carbohydrates. I am healthy and on the low end of normal weight. If I started eating white pasta and bread and the like regularly and consumed too many calories overall, that would change quickly.

I'm the same. Healthy weight and on the low end of normal.

I don't eat refined carbohydrates, but I eat what I want. I also eat a plant based diet. Not mostly bread, pasta or rice etc. Mostly vegetables.

No one becomes a vegan in order to lose weight. Most vegans do so for a variety of ethical reasons. Animals and the environment or a combination of those two seem to be the most common.
Vegans tend to have intrenched beliefs about their diet that transcend ten pounds - one way or another. I've never heard of a vegan - or a vegetarian refer to not eating meat as "falling off the wagon".

The phrase implies denial and a longing for meat. Again, I seldom have heard of anyone who longs for what they think is wrong. I am saying "seldom" because there could be some out there, but I have never encountered them.

Being vegan is not a fad diet. It's a way of life.

Not eating animal products for a set amount of days does not make the eater a "vegan". It makes them a person who did not eat animal products for a set amount of days.

Eating and cooking are fun and guilt free for most vegans.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Meat and dairy wont make you gain weight as we now know - as long as you don't consume carbs. Carbs raise your insulin level and that's where the weight goes on. Insulin signals the body to store fat. Fat and meat don't raise insulin levels much or at all. These things have been known for years now. It's carbs/sugar/starches that pack on the pounds as the Atkins diet proved. When animals are fattened for slaughter they are not fed fat and meat, they're fed carbs, mostly in the form of corn.
good post..

i went three months once, just ate tuna fish, lean steaks, and veggies- broccoli and spinach drank lots of water and started exercising,,,get my metabolism up
no sweets/sugars/breads.. or starches

anyone wanting to lose weight- this works,,plain and simple.. i once tried without the meat, and couldnt do it,,,just couldnt get full...and felt weak

i ate some fruits- but some fruits are high in sugars...

you are right about cows - most all are grass fed til the last three months -they get fed corn, for marbling-flavor and tenderness

Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,020 times
You are in the vegetarian/vegan forum. Please respect that.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,781,364 times
I always lose weight when I am fully vegan. But I'm not one of those people who's going to wolf down a loaf of bread with twi sticks of margerine melted over it. I'll eat a baked sweet potato or brown rice and lentils, maybe vegetable soup. Good weight-loss foods.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,544,671 times
I would think is the other way around, since they have to eat a lot of carbs if they are not eating meat!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,782,738 times
OMG I gained a ton of weight. I got five cavities in one year. My hair started graying and falling out. Fast forward to paleo and I'm back to a size six, my gums stopped receding and my hair grew back blonde. Never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food