Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Factory farming debate, animal rights, animal welfare, University of Chicago study, animal rights activists, vegetarian lifestyle, vegan living, non-meat eaters

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,863,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
As far as a pig lay'n on their babies, space &/or natural space is not the issue. The babies don't move much, obviously, and the mother will walk over and lay where she wants, sometimes on babies.
Given that the pig species has survived for thousands of years without human intervention, I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line mothers have figured out how to NOT lie down on their babies .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,627,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Given that the pig species has survived for thousands of years without human intervention, I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line mothers have figured out how to NOT lie down on their babies .....
Good point, then I guess someone is putting them under the sow.

It does happen, and since we are human I see no reason to LET it happen, and we can help them. If we let nature take it's course, then how many animals/plants, etc would be extinct?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,452 times
Capt., I think your opinions on animal welfare and farming are best suited for the "great debates" section as nobody here believes there is or should be a debate.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,627,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Capt., I think your opinions on animal welfare and farming are best suited for the "great debates" section as nobody here believes there is or should be a debate.
Very good point CR. I'll quit, and keep my posts to questions and answers on how/what veg's to cook. Post what you wish about f.farming, and I will keep my mouth shut. You don't have to ask me twice.........more like "umptien" times.

If you all don't mind, add more of your input on how/what type of veggies to cook. There is one in the food forum now about what is quick and easy to cook for kids.

I do wish you all well, and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,493,386 times
Quote:
Hmm...that's right! Could it be.....OMG! "farmers"!!!!!

Quote:
If we let nature take it's course, then how many animals/plants, etc would be extinct?
Hmm, I think we're already working on that. That's a loaded question & not enough time here to get into that one...

BTW, I have no illusions about "fuzzy and warm farms". I well know how critters are raised, as is the point of this thread. We certainly know the hows, but not the whys. Yes, it's all about economics & I understand that farming is a huge business.

The only people who buy those 'misleading & deceptive' PR campaigns from cattle and dairy organizations, are those who truly have a disconnect from the natural world, no matter where they live. Like the vast majority of your customers, correct (aka city-folk)?

I see the discussion has been shooed [more farm talk] off this subforum. Probably correctly so, imo.

One last thing, CCM. Other than family farm issue, you didn't address which parts of that diabolical article I posted you found to be misleading and false, or as they say in farm talk: crap. It's OK. You do get an A+ for effort though. I have this image of you as the little kid in school who always got in trouble for fighting.

Merry Cristmas right back at ya' ~

Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM

947 posts, read 3,414,858 times
Quote:

It does happen, and since we are human I see no reason to LET it happen, and we can help them. If we let nature take it's course, then how many animals/plants, etc would be extinct?
Well, Isn't it because they are not in a natural environment?
Of course, I am sure this happens as they are stressed and not feeling comfortable. If they had a large area... wouldn't they be way more apt to not lay on them?
You made a statement earlier that you never said it was natural for the pigs, I agree! Animals get stressed when they do not feel comfortable and thus do things that they just won't do in nature/wild.

PLants/animals may be going extinct mainly from Humans that have altered nature in the 1st place. If we do nothing about that and not try to reverse what we caused to happen that would be irresponsible.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM

138 posts, read 271,198 times
IF this article was interesting to you, you might enjoy the book The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. The author is not a vegetarian, and takes a pretty neutral look on the different types of farming...industrialized farms (including organic) vs smaller, localized farms that function based on crop and animal rotation. He also has some interesting philosophies on vegetarianism!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,493,386 times
Thanks, I will read that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food