Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,770,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I didn't really like the article. To me, it seemed like the journalist was trying to make it look like vegetarian kids don't eat well. I read the article a couple days ago, so I'm going off of memory, but the article seemed to put a lot of emphasis on some veggie kids being "junk food vegetarians." Hello? Look at what other people feed their kids! Kids definitely don't have to be vegetarian to eat horribly. I just thought that they could have done a better job on it.
.......And the FDA and the AMA are Like inscestious cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Is anyone raising or planning to raise vegetarian kids?

What about things like shampoo and house cleaners?

What about the Rodeo and Circus?
We are a vegetarian family with a 6 y.o. boy and a 2 y.o. boy. I buy organic soaps and shampoos that have not been tested on animals (or made from animal by-products) and use the most friendly cleaners we can afford.

I have taken our older son to a circus a few years ago, and we have been to two zoos and have been members of two different "habitat" museums. I try not to stress the capitivity part to my son, as he is already hyper aware of ecological systems and human interaction with the environment and those effects on plants and animals. I don't want my six year old stressing out about whether he should feel bad because he wants to go to a zoo. Of course, it is up to me to try to research finding the best zoos or circuses to go to.

Anyhow, as some posters point out routinely--vegetarian means not eating meat. It is up to each individual on how far they want or can take it. Just simply not eating meat is already doing a world of good.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
Quote:
"If he can turn down a corn dog or a cheese burger and explain his stance among pressure than he can turn down a joint."
Back in the day when my hair was longer than my memory, turning down a corn dog or a cheeseburger was the normal expected behavior.

Turning down a joint meant you were probably a narc.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,125,424 times
Quote:
Turning down a joint meant you were probably a narc.
Hopefully that was an organically grown, free trade J.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,523,315 times
Quote:
Is anyone raising or planning to raise vegetarian kids?

What about things like shampoo and house cleaners?

What about the Rodeo and Circus?
I am raising vegetarian teenagers. I use all natural (plant surfactant) or organic cleaners. And we don't go to rodeo's or the circus. We are indoor cats mostly but also like to go hiking. We prefer to leave nature right where it is at.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM

947 posts, read 3,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Good. After reading this article on pork farming, I'm glad to hear it. God, I'm never eating another piece of meat again.

Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is _also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters - broken link)
Good for YOU!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Yeah for the parents ( including me!) teaching their kids a whole mound of values...mainly for us is " just because we can, doesn't mean we should "...that means eating meat, killing animals, pleasures without concern for others...etc.
It's too bad we're considered the 'strange' ones for choosing natural foods....
Yeah!!!

We are "Health Freaks"...and weird??? why?????

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
There is a persistent myth that meat is essential for growing children - perhaps more so than for adults. In reality, children of all ages can thrive on a lower concentration of protein in their diets than adults! One of the main causes of death in children in developing countries is from something called protein-energy malnutrition. It usually develops in those who get too little protein and energy - and these deficiencies tend to go hand-in-hand. Diets that contain enough energy (calories) typically contain plenty of protein. The real problem is usually quantity rather than quality - not usually a problem in the West! Wartime studies in the UK found that orphanage children grew faster than the general population when they ate a bread-based diet with only a small fraction (14 per cent) of their protein coming from milk products. These children grew no faster when nearly half their protein was from milk! Bread provided the children with plenty of energy to support their growth, whilst meeting more than double their protein needs. Good sources of protein are pulses (peas, all types of beans, lentils), nuts, seeds, cereals and grains (bread, pasta, rice). Soya beans - in the form of soya milk, tofu (soya bean curd), imitation meats and soya sausages - are equivalent to meat in the amount and type of protein they provide. They also have the advantage of containing strong antioxidant (disease-busting) properties, are rich in fibre and phytoestrogens - chemicals that are thought to have anti-cancer properties - and are high in the essential fats lacking in many people's diets. [url=http://www.VeggieKids.org.uk]Veggie Kids[/url]

Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM

727 posts, read 1,893,099 times
I actually started out as Vegetarian when I was 5 or 6! I hated meats and unlike my siblings I loved brocoli or spinach or brusselsprouts. My parents thought I just didnt like to eat cause I wouldnt eat the meat of my dinners. But yeah I was a Vegetarian even then.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I actually started out as Vegetarian when I was 5 or 6! I hated meats and unlike my siblings I loved brocoli or spinach or brusselsprouts. My parents thought I just didnt like to eat cause I wouldnt eat the meat of my dinners. But yeah I was a Vegetarian even then.

I wish I started... way back then!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food