Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vegetarians would you eat fish
i am a former vegetarian and i prefer to eat fish than 2 5.00%
even though i am a vegetarian i wouldn't mind seafood 7 17.50%
its the same as eating dead animals 27 67.50%
probably considering it's a lot healthier than meat 3 7.50%
i don't know 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,137,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Please do not forget that there are people who do not eat fish not only becuase they ARE animals, but becuase the fishing industry is HORRIFIC and DISGUSTING.

The fishing industry harms other marine life, brings non native sea life into other parts of the ocean which creates a problem for some of the native sea life.

Fish farming is cruel and creates miles and miles of polutants including feces and dead fish....

I mean, just google it - who wants to support that?

Very well said.

Sea food was the last flesh I abandonded, as I lived on the coast. Many years ago I would meet the boats on the docks in the evening and buy fresh shrimp and scallops.

Now that I live in-land that is not an option.

I currently eat NO animal flesh. But, as I have mentioned in other posts, I do have some inner conflict. (I think I mentioned lobster in particular). Is "ganglia" the same as a brain? What if broccoli and sea urchins have similar sentience?

I was very interested in the reply by the Buddhist poster who would not kill to eat. I have the opposite view point: I would not eat anything I would not be willing to kill. I think of it as a sacrifice and a sign of respect.

So, if it came down to starving? I would try to eat nuts and plants first. If I had to resort to shellfish and mollusks? I could probably do that. I would have a very difficult time with anything piscine, avian, or mammalian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,862,014 times
Quote:
why not eat what the animals are eating?
Tried to rep you for that one, but have to "spread the love around" first.

But, yeah, that says it all .....

Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,459,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What about shrimp? Do you eat shrimp? Mollusks? Invertabrates?
Since you quoted my post... NO, absolutely not. I don't eat any animals, period. NONE. Hope that answers the question

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 36,575,202 times
Quote:
why not eat what the animals are eating?
How about some Poke berries? The birds are eating them so they must be good. I think that if I were put in a situation where I felt that eating flesh was probably the only means of survival, the only food available, that I would probably not be carrying the field guide of regional edible plants.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,763,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Didn't realize it would touch such a nerve with anyone but I will not apologize for living my values. I don't want to eat something which was once a living, sentient being.
Most living creatures are not sentient. Hey, even some humans aren't sentient. My ex-husband for example.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,895,057 times
I was a Vegetarian for 20 years....Pretty much since I was born. I went through a phase of only eating fish and then I went to being a vegetarian. Recently I start eating fish,beef,poultry again but now I'm going back to the vegetarian lifestyle. Point I'm trying to make is their is a difference.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,491,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Most living creatures are not sentient. Hey, even some humans aren't sentient. My ex-husband for example.
LOL, I can relate to that! Pretty funny.....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,799,501 times
How is a fish not an animal?

Wait..."invertebrates"? Like worms?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,884,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
i know being a vegetarian means no fish but animal products including dairy can be eaten. But if you in a dilemma of either you eat land animals or seafood, where would you stand?
Vegetarians don't eat animals. Fish are animals.

I get really annoyed with people who call themselves vegetarians but then eat animals.

Just last week at a restaurant I overheard a woman at a nearby table asking the server about vegetarian options, and then she added, "Or chicken, I am vegetarian but I do eat chicken."

Chicken are animals. You are not vegetarian.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,032,593 times
The confusion probably arises in part since there's a long history in the Judeo-Christian tradition of treating "fish" separately from "meat" (whether you agree with the colloquial usage or not). There's a confusion in our culture as to whether meat is the general term used to refer to all animals consumed as meat (most vegetarians use it this way) or only some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food