Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,050,372 times

Advertisements

Sorry, in ME--lol

Slowly over the years I've cut most meats out of my diet b'c I found I was getting grossed out whenever I ate it. I quit eating steak and other meats years ago but I've been having a hard time stopping my occasional favorite of all--meatballs and spaghetti (I make the best meatballs on the planet, I swear). Last time I had them I got grossed out and didn't enjoy it. Maybe I'm brainwashing myself or something, I dunno, but I'm glad it's happening. I feel like I'm almost there.

How did everyone else decide to become a vegetarian and accomplish it? It seems like there's so much to know and I know none of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,871,790 times
Slightly off-topic, but if you're near a Trader Joe's store, check out their "meatless meat balls" in the freezer case. Yum ...

Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Slightly off-topic, but if you're near a Trader Joe's store, check out their "meatless meat balls" in the freezer case. Yum ...
Oh there's one in my town but I've never been in there. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out now.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,874,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
...if you're near a Trader Joe's store, check out their "meatless meat balls"...
We love those.

Unfortunately since we moved, the nearest Trader Joe's is now 150 miles away.

But today I heard that one is scheduled to open in Olympia which is only 70 miles away.

The first thing that came to mind was "MEAT BALLS!"

Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,465,090 times
I love those too! I am usually no fan of "fake meats" but I do like those and I also like the Boca italian sausage and "bratwursts"....

To your original question... even as a kid, meat would often gross me out and after I learned more on how these animals live their sad tortured lives and how they die, I decided to quit contributing to the meat industry. At first I ate eggs or dairy, but then slowly eliminated them. I got a fairly simple vegetarian cookbook and just went from there. I would go to Amazon and just type in vegetarian cookbooks and read the reviews. Also check at your local library and get some of the books for recipe ideas. Where we used to live, they had a very active vegetarian group, which was helpful for new veggies and our pot-lucks used to have some amazing food. You might want to check out the vegetarian times magazine, which always has good articles and recipes. There are so many books out there on vegetarianism and cookbooks now! This wasn't the case 25 years ago when I went veggie.
Check out this forum for ideas and if you have questions, ask away...

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,215,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
... The first thing that came to mind was "MEAT BALLS!"
Here's a recipe that is not mock meat but it stands on its own and is wonderful. Several of my omni friends make these for themselves. Sorry I can't show you the picture Enjoy!

From Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler (I have the 1982 edition)

Tofu Spaghetti Balls
Serves 4-6 Makes twenty-four 1 1/2" balls

Mix together well:
3/4 pound tofu, mashed
1/2 cup flour, bread crumbs, rolled oats, or corn flakes (I use whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine (I use dry with equivalent measure from jar directions)
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper

Roll into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in flour and fry in 1/2" oil over medium heat until browned all over. Turn each ball about every three minutes. Serve with hot spaghetti (and Italian style tomato sauce).

Per Ball: Calories:58 Protein:2gm Fat:4gm Carb:3gm

Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM

563 posts, read 1,028,057 times
Most of my meals are vegi, but I do like meat from time to time. For the last 20 yrs I have found it really quite easy to be a vegitarian if you simply stop trying to replace meat. I don't need a bunch of special cookbooks although I have two for vegi meals. I can still use the wonderful old cookbooks I have too. Many of the dishes I made with meat can be made without. One thing I think is important to note is that many of the vegi substitute burgers, sausage, etc. have a lot of sodium. I only wish I would have paid attention to sodium 10 yrs ago, because now I have to. Also, for a meal of what used to be baked potato, steak, vegi now just take out the meat and have an extra vegi or two. And some fruit. And grains. Have a nice salad. Mix grains such as rice in with your spinach salad. Anyhow, have fun and use the K.I.S.S. system in life.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
Most of my meals are vegi, but I do like meat from time to time. For the last 20 yrs I have found it really quite easy to be a vegitarian if you simply stop trying to replace meat. I don't need a bunch of special cookbooks although I have two for vegi meals. I can still use the wonderful old cookbooks I have too. Many of the dishes I made with meat can be made without. One thing I think is important to note is that many of the vegi substitute burgers, sausage, etc. have a lot of sodium. I only wish I would have paid attention to sodium 10 yrs ago, because now I have to. Also, for a meal of what used to be baked potato, steak, vegi now just take out the meat and have an extra vegi or two. And some fruit. And grains. Have a nice salad. Mix grains such as rice in with your spinach salad. Anyhow, have fun and use the K.I.S.S. system in life.
With me, it's not that I try to replace meat b'c I don't. I don't even miss it unless I want spaghetti and meatballs. Unfortunately, that happens to be my favorite meal. I have it about once a month. More like once every 6 to 8 weeks now that I think about it.

That's good to know about sodium. I have to watch mine too b'c of htn.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,053,632 times
One day we realized we had not eaten meat for two days, so we just decided to be vegetarian. We haven't had meat in several years now. I never really liked killing things anyway.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 PM

947 posts, read 3,416,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Here's a recipe that is not mock meat but it stands on its own and is wonderful. Several of my omni friends make these for themselves. Sorry I can't show you the picture Enjoy!

From Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler (I have the 1982 edition)

Tofu Spaghetti Balls
Serves 4-6 Makes twenty-four 1 1/2" balls

Mix together well:
3/4 pound tofu, mashed
1/2 cup flour, bread crumbs, rolled oats, or corn flakes (I use whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine (I use dry with equivalent measure from jar directions)
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper

Roll into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in flour and fry in 1/2" oil over medium heat until browned all over. Turn each ball about every three minutes. Serve with hot spaghetti (and Italian style tomato sauce).

Per Ball: Calories:58 Protein:2gm Fat:4gm Carb:3gm

Oooh, I do have this cookook but I never have used it and I have not cooked really in a while, at least from scratch so I am probably no help! I do like to cook but just never really seem to "get" there... small, cluttered kitchen that get messey fast, Doesn't help!!!

I have a bunch of books too!

Anyway, good for you, Public_Newsense!
I bet you will find that you feel better, with higher energy and also may even enjoy eating more (not "more" food... ) but look forward to eating meals that are new and healthier!

happy exploring!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food